Experiments with Faller Car System

• RMweb Gold

Alan - a possible idea for you - you say that there isn't room for a switch, so the motor will still consume power? Is there room to fit a magnetically operated reed switch that can be operated by a magnet from outside the vehicle to turn it off? Just a thought

There is the usual master slide switch to turn the power off, mounted in the trailer floor as shown in the pictures.

It has not been possible to mount the usual Faller magnet biased reed switch that is intended to respond to stop magnets in the roadway. It would have to be mounted low down, which would mean inside the cab, and this is filled by the front wheel assembly, so there is no room for it.

What this means is that for now, there is no means of remotely stopping the vehicle at junctions, etc. This does not matter as in due course I will be fitting a DCCar decoder and the computer will be able to control it by DCC via the embedded infra red control system.

The only disadvantage then of having no reed is that when the vehicle is parked for any length of time, as in a goods yard or parcels depot, it will have to be held by the IR system and consequently the decoder will still consume battery power during this time. I would normally have installed a magnetic stop in locations where a vehicle would stand in this manner as this could be arranged to switch off power to both the motor and decoder when activated. I have used this method in the bus station as shown earlier in the thread.

I suppose it would be possible to mount the reed higher in the side or roof of the trailer and conceal the stop magnet in some roadside structure, but in this instance, I am not sure it would be worth the bother.

Alan

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Gold

I wish!

There's been no hobby time since January, I'm afraid.

It's at the end of a very long list of demands on my time unfortunately.

Work and the needs of elderly relatives continue to conspire to keep me out of the railway room and are likely to continue to do so at least in the medium term. I'm getting withdrawal symptoms!

• 2 weeks later...

Excellent work there Alan; I know some people have looked at N scale applications, well I am considering this method in a larger size as I am currently scratch-building a London trolleybus in 1/43, and being plasticard the finished thing should be quite light; lighter I would say than a 1/72 diecast..... I like the idea of this as the components are discreet and small enough to have no visible parts, and I'm not then tied to creating working overhead - although one option I guess if I do go down the live overhead would be to plunder the guide-by-wire-and-magnets idea for steering and take juice from overhead....

Food for thought there.

Looking forward to your future progress

David

• 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • RMweb Gold

In my experience, the closer to 90 degrees, the more reliable the operation.

Crossing the track at an angle requires the road/rail interface to be as smooth and level as you can get it. Even then, there is a risk of the vehicle steering getting bumped off line as the wheels cross the flangeway one at a time, particularly with smaller wheels.

Fitting angled catch guide wires can help to bring errant vehicles back on track.

Alan

In my experience, the closer to 90 degrees, the more reliable the operation.

Crossing the track at an angle requires the road/rail interface to be as smooth and level as you can get it. Even then, there is a risk of the vehicle steering getting bumped off line as the wheels cross the flangeway one at a time, particularly with smaller wheels.

Fitting angled catch guide wires can help to bring errant vehicles back on track.

Alan

Sound advice....it is possible but smaller wheeled vehicles do struggle a bit. I couldn't get a Transit chassis to do what's shown below.

Plenty of catch wires help too....and obvious but not always thought of avoid steel rails.

Quick video of something similar.

• 1 year later...
  • RMweb Gold

Hello,

As a novice I can only respond to your question with a further question...sorry. I notice your pictures of the road vehicles are English types, I always thought Faller only produced continental vehicle types. Am I wrong?

You are correct.

The UK vehicles on this thread have all been converted from static die cast or plastic models, using Faller Parts.

I've given blow by blow accounts of how I did mine earlier in the thread.

One day, I'll have the time to do some more....

Many other modellers have done similar conversions, see Red Devil's video of his exhibition layout in post 113. He has a thread on here as well.

Alan

• 2 years later...
  • RMweb Gold

Just reactivating this old thread with a couple of queries to those with experience of the car system:

When charging a vehicle, should the switch be in the on or off position, assuming it matters?

Should I expect the charger to get a little warm during the process?

At the moment I am struggling to charge a vehicle and the charger seems to be cold, which suggests it might not be working.

Just reactivating this old thread with a couple of queries to those with experience of the car system:

When charging a vehicle, should the switch be in the on or off position, assuming it matters?

Should I expect the charger to get a little warm during the process?

At the moment I am struggling to charge a vehicle and the charger seems to be cold, which suggests it might not be working.

Best to have vehicle switched off, and yes a 8 hr charge does warm the charger a bit.

• RMweb Gold

I gave it an overnight charge last night, but still no joy this morning, so next I have to figure out if the charger is broken or the vehicle. Just out of interest, when the vehicle is at the end of its charge, does it stop quite suddenly?

I gave it an overnight charge last night, but still no joy this morning, so next I have to figure out if the charger is broken or the vehicle. Just out of interest, when the vehicle is at the end of its charge, does it stop quite suddenly?

Mine seemed to slow down rather than stop, that said I haven't got any pure Faller vehicles now, as I generally either build my own or if using a Faller chassis do away with onboard charging and just use a 1,5 v AAA or N battery in a holder as the lower voltage slows them down quite a bit which suits me. Easy enough to pop a new or re charged battery into the vehicle rather than charging the vehicle.

Barry try putting a meter on the charger terminals to see if you have any current, batteries do die i have changed a few over the years.

• RMweb Gold

Barry try putting a meter on the charger terminals to see if you have any current, batteries do die i have changed a few over the years.

I've been trying that, but (opening another can of worms) my multi-meter is acting up. I'll try a small pre-wired LED later.

• RMweb Gold

Problem solved, hopefully. There was a bit of grit between the gears of the car - that's why it stopped suddenly, and why charging it wasn't having any effect. Luckily

there doesn't seem to have been any damage to the mechanism.

Archived