The spots we spotted at

Bikes propped against some old Barlow BG rail at Handsworth & Smethwick (Snow Hill - Wolverhampton GW main line). It also gave us a view of the siding outside Birmingham Carriage & Wagon works: a new diesel popped out of there every Friday night (D5300, or 6500 series).

On our bikes to Handsworth New Road in Winson Green, where the ex.GW & LMS lines crossed each other, so a choice of loco's.

Later, when allowed, I was off on an early morning train to Reading GW (and occasionally Basingstoke).

Once went to Grantham, but LNER stuff really didn't interest me that much.

We should compare notes Filtonjuncktion! I was probably sat at Parkway whilst you were little over a mile away. I think I only noted one class 40 between 1973-9 and that was a special (40 106). Do you have any idea what services the 40s were on? Always interested in stuff we missed "over the back" (Filton-Patchway). I always felt though the most interesting workings in that area were Stoke Gifford -Avonmouth.

Neil

The South West/South Wales line through usually turn up south west 47s or South wales 37s and 47s or 52s. There was during the afternoon about 1335 and returning at 1800 with a class 33 on a Eastleigh to STJ. The 3v20 Manchester to Bristol parcels via Newport used to pass FJ about 2100 and was usually a longsight or Bescot class 25 and at times it was difficult to get the number.

We were always on guard when (a class 20, 31 or split 37)  was spotted heading from Parkway to Avonmouth. Our bikes were at the ready and we pedalled like mad to get to filton hill primary school for the number. The loco usually took a long time on that line and we usually got it, if we missed out we would go up to BP later for the above. 

I remember the hot summer saturdays as well hoping for one of the relief trains from the north with a 45/1 or knottingley 47.

Unfortunately in 2003 my missus in a moment of madness got rid of nearly all my notes ( 'it was only numbers') I also just saved my ian allen combines of 1973/6.

The 40s I saw a Filton were as following:

Half term February 1975 40175 STJ to Bristol returned an hour later LE

Half term April         1976 40165  as above

July 21st                 1977  40033 Leeds to Paignton (Derby to Bristol) retur 1607 Bristol TM to Newcastle

Sunday August 7th  1977  40069 Newcastle to Bristol TM

Last day of a Area 10 rail over and the above turned up at Derby and took us back to bristol.

• RMweb Gold

I bet you don't get hordes of spotters on the "bank" at Tamworth in the summer spotting the Trent Valley and the Derby-Birmingham lines these days!

You would see more types of loco there in a day than the total on the railways today.

Keith

Some days there were so many spotters on the"field" when something different came through(maybe a Polmadie Scot or Semi) the roar of the assembled host would rival that of a football crowd after a goal had been scored. I visited there from Derby 17 odd times between 1959 and early 1961 as well as Crewe a couple of times. My mate persuaded his mother to come to Crewe with us so we could stay on the platform, most of the unaccompanied sods were systematically  kicked off the station. I also spent a couple of days at Grantham mainly for the Streaks!!, Far too much time was spent on five arches bridge, though I did cop Clan McKenzie late one afternoon. Interest just about disappeared with the withdrawal of Stanier's pacifics. :cry:  :cry:  

Rgds.....Mike

Some days there were so many spotters on the"field" when something different came through(maybe a Polmadie Scot or Semi) the roar of the assembled host would rival that of a football crowd after a goal had been scored. ....  

Rgds.....Mike

Reminds me of a visit to Crewe for a works open day when those damn "clackers" were all the rage, if anything "ratable" appeared the clackers would start up with considerable noise.  Never could get those things to work myself!

Jim

• RMweb Gold

Bikes propped against some old Barlow BG rail at Handsworth & Smethwick (Snow Hill - Wolverhampton GW main line). It also gave us a view of the siding outside Birmingham Carriage & Wagon works: a new diesel popped out of there every Friday night (D5300, or 6500 series).

On our bikes to Handsworth New Road in Winson Green, where the ex.GW & LMS lines crossed each other, so a choice of loco's.

Later, when allowed, I was off on an early morning train to Reading GW (and occasionally Basingstoke).

Once went to Grantham, but LNER stuff really didn't interest me that much.

Handsworth & Smethwick and Tyseley were regular trips for us. We would get a day return to one of them for steam haulage on the evening peak locals.

• RMweb Gold

Handsworth & Smethwick and Tyseley were regular trips for us. We would get a day return to one of them for steam haulage on the evening peak locals.

My son spent several happy hours at Tyseley yesterday.

Todays railway is different, doesn't make it (all) boring anymore than seeing 9f after 9f after black 5 made Rock Ferry boring in the 1960s when I used to watch the steamers go by, there was more variety in the early 1970s when all sorts of diesels started to appear but then we have the "oh no, it's a diesel" camp - that's personal choice, as much as liking todays railway is personal choice. It's bad enough attracting derisory comments from those who aren't interested in railways but why, when we share an interest in railways do we have to make disparaging comments about anything ? - shall we start a GWR/LMS/LNER/SR war ? or an LNWR/SECR war ? or a semaphore/colour light war ? - ah, but what if the colour lights were LOR or Mersey  ? I find the SR generally boring, it's not an area I know or a railway system I know much about but I don't feel the need to comment negatively to those who do like it, live and let live.

BTW - I'm sure there would be people in the 1960s who would say that the 1960s railway was boring now all the pre-group stuff had gone - different strokes for different folks and all that.

Spent far too much of the early 70s in the small car park adjoining the northbound fast line at the South end of Luton station. Peaks and more peaks! but plenty 25's,47's,33's and Westerns too over the years. Stopped off at the same spot between buses, just last week and much of the venue of my youth is virtually unchanged. A freight approached from the South but not a peak but 66 hauled. OK i could probably struggle at observing todays passing traffic on the MML at Luton for much more than an hour today it but it was definitely reassuring to return!!

NR

www.leightonlogs.org

• RMweb Gold

I've revisited many old haunts in recent years, with my son (and dad) in tow, such as Cathiron...

I'd preferred the AC electrics from my youth, but the new order on the WCML - Pendos - seemed to impress my lad as much as 87s did in my day!

post-10919-0-73785200-1459019500.jpg

cheers,

Keith

• RMweb Premium

Something that was slightly unusual in the late 50s/early 60s from BRCW was delivery of tube stock which travelled up to the Smoke on the GW route usually hauled by a Grange with barrier wagons sandwiching the tube stock and a Toad on the end!

I used to see them run through Tyseley

I assume the Met-Cam stock went the same way after a short trip on the MIdland to Bordesley.

Keith

I think the WAY that enthusiasts trainspot has changed greatly.

When I was a lad we'd make a list of all the scheduled passenger trains passing our chosen spot, set up shop and hope for the best. We didn't have access to WTTs so freights were an added bonus. We'd have to conserve our photo taking too, generally waiting for the sun to come out before our cameras did. Might only take one or two photos (if that) on a trip out.

Today, you know what's approaching miles away. I think some of the magic has gone.

• RMweb Gold

When I was a lad we'd make a list of all the scheduled passenger trains passing our chosen spot, set up shop and hope for the best. We didn't have access to WTTs so freights were an added bonus. We'd have to conserve our photo taking too, generally waiting for the sun to come out before our cameras did. Might only take one or two photos (if that) on a trip out.

Today, you know what's approaching miles away. I think some of the magic has gone.

I think that's true, part of the attraction was not knowing what was coming... which in my experience (and my poor parents) could end after an hour or more of seeing nothing pass at all!!

Now I can nip out from domestic duties and be pretty sure of what's coming and when, get the shot etc, then scoot back, suits my less leisurely life style these days, all so different to being a schoolboy in the '70s able to wile away the hours lineside in effect just killing time - I miss that luxury almost as much as I miss the traction of those 'good old days'.

Similarly, when in GB on work travel these days I can linger at a particular station just a tad longer if I know there is some freight on its way, or else an interesting 'STP' in the listing on Realtime Trains - and still get to the meeting on time (mostly!).

cheers,

Keith

It does enable one to make sensible decisions - having stood on Worting Jn;s FB last Thurs in the on-off rain for 3 hours with a good smattering of freight - the prospect of waiting over an hour for the next proved less attractive than going for a warm-up .................. :no:

Also I've hung on for something when in the past I might have given it best ..............

Being able to target specific trains is such a useful thing - I've been lucky enough to have external access to TRUST/TOPS for over 20 years and it's great that RTT etc. is now able to let non-industry folk have almost that same info nowadays.

• RMweb Premium

About time I entered the discussion. So, to answer the original post.

1958 - 1963: frequently

Laira at the east end of the north coaling line; North Road Station, up Platforms (WR up that is); wall near Mutley Tunnel; back lane opposite North Road east box.

1960 - 1963: when I could afford it

Exeter Central and 72A; Bristol Temple Meads.

1958 - 1966: Devonport Albert Road cutting and Devonport Kings Road goods yard almost daily on the way to and from School (sadly at the latter all had gone really by '65)

Two or three times in a week, once a year in 1961 and 1962 (usually August):

Consett Station (like an idiot I never ventured to the Shed and that was only half a mile from the closed station).

1969 - 1975 Redhill and London/ Clapham Junction + some shed bashes.

1975 - 1979 Wellingborough and Shed  bashing all over the place. Most shed bashes with the Inter City Railway Society.

1979 - 1991 London and Great Britain! Most shed bashes with the Inter City Railway Society.

1991 - 2003 not a lot but sometimes London. Quite a lot of steam travel. Bluebell and Watercress railways if that is 'spotting'?

2003 - Doncaster and Retford  + some other local steam watching spots.

Phil

Archived