Midland Railway Motor Car Van

London cambrian

Hi all

Just up at the midland Railway today, and took rather a fancy to the Midland railway Motor car van there.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/beerdave1745/5125309501/

So, i waas wondering anyone know of any draings of it? I quite fancy making one in 5 inch gauge so would need some fairly good detail ones. I have seen evidence of an article in Model railways back in 1975, so either hoping someoe has a copy of that or its in a book somewhere.

Thanks again all

Cheers for any help

Mark

• RMweb Gold

I think this is the Midland D833 Ventilated van for carrying motor cars etc. It was the final Midland design of motor car van, earlier ones were not ventilated. 52 were built from 1914.

There are photos and dimensioned drawings of it in:

An Illustrated History of Midland Wagons Volume 1, R. J. Essery. OPC SBN (it was pre ISBN) 86093 040 8 published 1980 (which is where I found the above information)

Several copies are shown for sale on Abebooks website from various sellers.

David

• RMweb Gold

Hi david, thanks for that

How many other drawings and decent pictures are there in that book? And how good are the drawings, hopefully they are more than just outline drawings. Basically would you recommend it?

Cheers

Mark

2 photos, one is about A5 size, the other slightly smaller. The larger one is from British Rail (an official MR photo?) in MR livery, the other looks to be later. The first photo is very clear underframe etc details are visible.

I drawing is stated as being redrawn from the official drawing by T W Bourne in 1972, the other is not credited but looks to be from an official drawing.

The first drawing shows underframe detail as part of the side elevation. The other drawing has no underframe detail.

Sample numbers are given for MR, and LMS 1928

I use the drawings and photos in the book for my modelling of Midland Wagons in 4mm and 7mm scales, maily modifying/detailing kits.

The drawings are probably as good as any easily available, they seem to be on a par with all the other OPC style wagon books.

Altogether there are 109 drawings in the book and 241 photos, covering open wagons lowside, merchandise, mineral, biscuit, coke, hopper, bogie open: open wagons for special traffic: covered goods wagons - fruit, banana, tariff, and covered vans - refrigerator, meat, CCT, motor car vans, S&T vans etc. 170 pages in Vol 1.

Other MR freight stock is in Volume 2

I think photos of the wagons are quite scarce.

Hope that is some help.

David.

Try Midland Railway Carriages Volume 2. There are some drawings and photos of the MR various Motor Car Van diagrams. ABS also do a kit of the Digram 402 which builds in to a very nice model. I have one finished in early BR livery, mainly because I could not get suitable transfers for the LMS version.

• 1 month later...

Cheers David

Have borrowed both books from the library, full of reasonably useful stuff, at this rate i may end up making more than just the motor van at this rate.

I may have a look round for that book carlislecitadel, but as i said in my first post my model would be in 5 inch gauge, effectively 27mm scale so a 4mm kit wouldnt do me much good!

We have now blown up the drawings for the vehcile, produced cad drawings and actually have some timber in stock to start building

Thanks all

Mark

• 1 month later...

Hi

I have been looking at producing a kit for one in gauge 1 once I have completed the timber underframed covered wagons.

In Midland Record No.2 Supplement 'Midland railway wagons' (ISBN 1-874103-45-3) there is a large scale fully dimensioned works drawing No 2027 date 18th of may 1904.

Although this is for lot 582 Diagram 368 which was the earlier non ventilated version, most of main dimensions appear to be the same as D833 from a glance at the diagram excepting for the wheelbase and overall length, if nothing else it would fill in the missing dimensions for timber sections used in the construction of the framing etc.

I quite understand the issues you have with working from 'modellers drawings' many are appailing and only good as a guide when working in the larger scales.

Well after just a couple of months and two prototype visits, the body side woodwork is all but complete! The chassis is built, with all the rodding going in atm moment and all the laser cutting ordered for the wagon. extra strapping and additional bracing is going in about now, I'll post some pics on here and in my blog soon, its cracking on abit. all the recesses are cutfor the buffing springs and all fixing holes have been done.

Overall the book drawings werent a huge amount of help to be honest. greatyes for the smaller scales, but the drawings we used for the general arrangements and dimensions. In the end we just did a lot of measurements of the prototype, we ended up crawling all round and underneath it at the midland railway centre.

The bookis worthwhile, has a goodly number of interesting drawings, an good inspiration for models. expectmore to come outof it! Also on the workbench is an S&D twin tank gas wagon, from the same book.

Cheers

Mark

Archived