Georgemas Junction in N

jennarivo

I thought that it may be helpful to revise this opening post in light of the changes that have taken place since the project was conceived.

Originally it had been intended to produce this model in OO gauge, however not long after its conception I voluntarily turned my life upside down and traded in the peaceful Caithness countryside lifestyle and a very secure job for an alternative one in hustle and bustle that is Edinburgh – see post #37 on page 2

As my available modelling space was dramatically reduced from acres to square feet, in order to keep any hope of the project alive I began to consider N gauge.  After purchasing a few bits and pieces for evaluation purposes my mind was made up – N Gauge was a go.

Basically the intention is to produce a model of Georgemas Junction c1960-1980 – a current track plan for the build can be seen a post #35 on page 2

For those of you who aren’t familiar with the location, Georgemas Junction is situated in the county of Caithness on the Far North Line.  It is the junction of the Thurso branch from the Inverness-Wick line, the most northerly junction on the UK rail network.  The station which was opened in 1874 is situated in a countryside setting near the village of Halkirk  and is still operational today.  Up until the introduction of the class 158 DMUs the station was where the joining and splitting of the Thurso and Wick portions took place; a scene that will no doubt feature regularly is this thread once the layout is operational. 

The scenic area is split over 3 baseboards and generally measures 3600x500mm, the board accommodating the Thurso branch is slightly wider.  Trackwork on both sides of the A9 bridge is modelled although a bit of compression and terrain exaggeration has taken place on the Wick side.

The layout is portable although this is primarily to allow it to be stored when required and there is no intention of ever exhibiting it.

Most structures will be scratch built, with the exception of the footbridge which is available as an etched brass kit.

Traffic types and operation will be more or less as the prototype with a little bit of modeller’s license here and there to increase volume for more operational interest.

post-866-0-19394500-1459702929_thumb.jpg

Edited by jennarivo

• RMweb Premium

I take it you are aware that George Woodcock has just built a model of Georgmas Junction, details being in a recent model railway

magazine.

However you can not have to much of a good thing.

Look forward to seeing the progress

Eltel

what a great location to model. The lines north of Inverness are where my interest lies so will be keepinhg an eye on this.

A couple of links from me

railbrit - search facility will bring up any information and photos on most stations - http://www.railbrit.co.uk/search.php

ernies scottish flickr site - personally a favourite site of mine with plenty of photos and a lot which gives a feel of the railways other than the stock http://www.flickr.com/photos/irishswissernie/collections/72157626439675261/

friends of the far north line - the campaign for services on the line from users/ fans. A few pictures but also some interesting articles and news updates - althrough these are more recent then your requested era. http://www.fofnl.org.uk/

from 20th October 1979. Photos taken from a moving train so apologies for quality

No need to apologise, they great as i haven't come across too many pics of the snow things or the signalling. Thanks very much

Hello there,

Have you seen the lovely pics on David Ford's Flickr site

http://www.flickr.co...57626232198549/

Cheers

Dave

what a great location to model. The lines north of Inverness are where my interest lies so will be keepinhg an eye on this.

A couple of links from me

railbrit - search facility will bring up any information and photos on most stations - http://www.railbrit.co.uk/search.php

ernies scottish flickr site - personally a favourite site of mine with plenty of photos and a lot which gives a feel of the railways other than the stock http://www.flickr.co...57626439675261/

friends of the far north line - the campaign for services on the line from users/ fans. A few pictures but also some interesting articles and news updates - althrough these are more recent then your requested era. http://www.fofnl.org.uk/

Thank for the info guys, i have spent countless hours on these sites recently (most of which when i really should have been working). These pictures have been the mainstay of my research as very little written history seams to exist.

I take it you are aware that George Woodcock has just built a model of Georgmas Junction, details being in a recent model railway

magazine.

However you can not have to much of a good thing.

Look forward to seeing the progress

Eltel

Yes saw it in Model Rail about a year ago, its a great layout

There is a video of George Woodcocks Georgemas Junction on youtube:

Just dont look at the two operators!! Myself in the DEMU Polo Shirt and Richard Coleman ( cobbler of this parish )

Nobby (John)

Thanks for the video its a great layout, i never made it to Model Rail Scotland that year, which is a pity as i would of liked to have seen this layout in the flesh

Edited by jennarivo

Spent most of today taking load after load of rubbish from the 'garage, soon to be railway room' to the local dump in preparation for the roof removal/replacement operation which will hopefully commence within the next three weeks or so.

here are a couple of pics I took the other night

This is where the layout will be housed, not going to be great for natural light as the two windows you can see face due north.

post-866-0-98966300-1343510850.jpg

This is my workshop and will be my workbench area when modelling commences

post-866-0-38992300-1343511216.jpg

• Like 5

As I'm not actually in a position to start modelling just yet (so the OH tells me) my efforts have been confined to researching (and a few fly purchases).

I am trying to put together a list of all buildings on the site and I'm having trouble identifying one of them.

The building is question is the stone structure to the immediate left of the north box shown in this pic http://www.signalbox...rgemasnorth.php and again in this one at the very end of the platform http://www.flickr.co...57626232198549/

The structure is also shown on an OS map surveyed in 1905

Perhaps someone will know the origins of this building?

Its also very hard to tell what kind of roof the building had but it looks to me like simple corrugated iron sheet?

cheers

Shaun

Hi Shaun,

While doing my research for this project I have come up with plenty pictures of the main station area, but not many that show the Wick side (North signal box and goods shed) or the loading dock on the south side

The shots below might be of interest... I think the colour one was around 1976, the three of the North cabin were taken in August 1978 and may be useful for taking dimensions since there is a measuring pole in each - the large divisions are 12", the small ones 3".

post-7032-0-48425800-1343681127_thumb.jpg

post-7032-0-91293700-1343681113_thumb.jpg

post-7032-0-12371200-1343681121_thumb.jpg

post-7032-0-18759600-1343681139_thumb.jpg

I have some other photos of Georgemas kicking around but I think they're all taken south of the bridge.

I have fond memories of how friendly the staff at Georgemas and Thurso were when I visited in the 1970s. Good luck with the model, please keep the thread going!

cheers

Graham

• Like 3

Hi Shaun,

The shots below might be of interest... I think the colour one was around 1976, the three of the North cabin were taken in August 1978 and may be useful for taking dimensions since there is a measuring pole in each - the large divisions are 12", the small ones 3".

I have some other photos of Georgemas kicking around but I think they're all taken south of the bridge.

I have fond memories of how friendly the staff at Georgemas and Thurso were when I visited in the 1970s. Good luck with the model, please keep the thread going!

cheers

Graham

Hi Graham, these are great especially with the measuring stick in place, couldn't have asked for better. Would be delighted to see any others you may have (every picture helps). Progress will be pretty slow at first as i'm still a few months away from being in a position to do any construction work, however I'm really enjoying this research phase, every day i find out something new.

cheers

Shaun

Interesting old coach. Looks like a late CR 57 foot corridor brake.

That's interesting.... I noted at the time that it had two axlebox covers marked CR. As far as I recall the builder's plates had been removed. The large lettering read "NE Div 10".

There was another mess coach at Georgemas that summer (July 1974) which had RY Pickering plates and NBR and LNER axlebox covers: here it is in the Up sidings at the north end of the station:

post-7032-0-42792400-1343816747_thumb.jpg

and here's another two, in Wick goods yard. (The box van in the foreground was plated LNER Darlington 1931 12T and numbered 166308, but I didn't note the details of the coaches). I think the derrick crane is the HR original, and the hopper structure in the background is the coaling plant installed by the LMS next the loco shed).

post-7032-0-48892100-1343817509_thumb.jpg

regards

Graham

• Like 1

...Would be delighted to see any others you may have (every picture helps)....

I know what you mean - scraps of detail built up from blurred photos which mean little to anyone except fanatics other people!

Anyway here's what I've dug out, the quality of both the shots and my scanner is pretty dubious, but as I said, only fanatics need apply...

First of all the branch inner home (already shown from the rear in the nice shots from Colin Penfold further up the thread), a McKenzie and Holland bracket signal which formerly had a second doll reading into the Thurso bay:

post-7032-0-55833600-1343818061_thumb.jpg

post-7032-0-61246100-1343818276_thumb.jpg

post-7032-0-39794100-1343818249_thumb.jpg

post-7032-0-20083300-1343818264_thumb.jpg

The Junction cabin, with measuring stick visible if you look carefully:

post-7032-0-90925700-1343818315_thumb.jpg

post-7032-0-14544100-1343818328_thumb.jpg

post-7032-0-50444900-1343818337_thumb.jpg

post-7032-0-27641900-1343818348_thumb.jpg

The cabin diagrams at North and Junction (the latter very indistinct, but I have a transcribed version if it's of interest):

post-7032-0-27481300-1343818290_thumb.jpg

post-7032-0-91974600-1343818301_thumb.jpg

The token instruments in the booking office:

post-7032-0-37195900-1343820612_thumb.jpg

The sequence of combining the Thurso and Wick portions of the Up midday train in July 1976. The Thurso portion arrived first - in summer it could be busy, I saw it at 8 vehicles - performed its station duties:

post-7032-0-15783500-1343818390.jpg

then drew part-way out of the platform to wait at the Down section signal for arrival of the Wick portion (usually much shorter, but with the buffet coach):

post-7032-0-14433600-1343818366_thumb.jpg

post-7032-0-60643900-1343818417_thumb.jpg

Once the Wick portion was safely stopped at the Up platform, the Thurso pilot drew its portion beyond the loop points and set back onto the Wick portion before detaching. (I can't remember if the loco then withdrew north again or simply waited in the Up loop for the train to depart before using the mid-loop crossover to regain the Thurso branch).

Here are similar scenes in July 1974. Ballast wagons are stabled in the Up platform loop:

post-7032-0-25967500-1343818484_thumb.jpg

post-7032-0-03153200-1343818510_thumb.jpg

post-7032-0-03745200-1343818446_thumb.jpg

Here (again in July 1974) is the Thurso pilot awaiting arrival of a Down train. It has just worked the branch goods from Thurso and attached it to an Up train, before dropping the branch brakevan in the branch loop.

post-7032-0-42448800-1343820594_thumb.jpg

The Down train arriving: the signalman has already returned the Home signal to Danger:

post-7032-0-52459300-1343820576_thumb.jpg

The guard would have locked the vestibule doors between the Wick and Thurso portions after leaving Forsinard, and on arriving at Georgemas the train (if too long to fit in the Down platform) would run through the station up to the section signal before the signalman reversed the branch points and flagged the driver to set back into the branch platform, divide, then proceed to Wick. The branch loco would then couple on and draw its portion off to Thurso.

Hope this is of some interest in spite of the dodgy quality. HR experts are very welcome to pick holes in my descriptions - it was a long time ago! - or to expand on how exactly the porter-signalman accepted trains from two or even three directions, shunted them, and despatched them using three lever frames (one in the booking office which slotted the section signals) as well as manipulating the token machines. Every time I try to walk through this sequence I go mad.. and as far as I remember the man at Georgemas didn't even have a bike to speed up his travels!

cheers

Graham

• Like 5