Georgemas Junction in N

jennarivo

Wow... those grasses look fantastic. 

Could you name where you purchased the MiniNatur grasses?

Thanks for that.  The grasses were purchased from http://www.modeldisplayproducts.co.uk

There's not been much progress over the last few weeks - camping trips and visitors have begun to appear again.

I have knocked up the two boards for the fiddle yard and track-laying is about to commence.  Due to space constraints I've had to amend the plan slightly to include an off-scene reversing loop between the Thurso and Inverness lines as looping the Thurso line round into the fiddle yard was going to add too much width to the layout.  This means that trains leaving on the Thurso branch will need to perform an out of sight reversing manoeuvre to enter the fiddle yard.  I'll post some pics in the next week or so.

cheers

Shaun

Edited by jennarivo

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all, 

There been limited work on any of the scenic sections as of late with most of my efforts being focused on the off-scene part of the layout.

I've knocked up a simple five road fiddle yard spread across two boards, using the same foamboard / ply combination as used on the main boards.  I don't think I've mentioned it on this thread yet, but over the last few months I've been thinking that I'd like to have a go at building my own code 40 track, as I've never been overly happy with the look of the Peco code 55, especially the points.  I'm hoping to buy some components and construct a very small trial layout/diorama to see how I get on and part of the reason for constructing the fiddle yard in this way is so I can use it for an end to end set-up as well, as two separate fiddle yards.

post-866-0-36156400-1459696041_thumb.jpg

As mentioned previously, I've had to alter the plan slightly and instead of the Thurso branch running round into the fiddle yard, to save space I've created a reverse loop which joins the main line.  This means that trains leaving the station heading to Thurso will need to pull forward into this loop and then reverse into the fiddle yard.  Another space saving compromise is the use of tight radius set-track curves to take the main line round towards the fiddle yard.  The only room that the layout will fit it when fully assembled is the living room, meaning that most of the time it will be stored in a cupboard.  I can only assembly two boards in the spare bedroom, which is fine for working on but not much fun otherwise.

post-866-0-05156000-1459696055_thumb.jpg

That's all for now

Cheers

Shaun

• Like 7

• RMweb Gold

Hi all, 

There been limited work on any of the scenic sections as of late with most of my efforts being focused on the off-scene part of the layout.

I've knocked up a simple five road fiddle yard spread across two boards, using the same foamboard / ply combination as used on the main boards.  I don't think I've mentioned it on this thread yet, but over the last few months I've been thinking that I'd like to have a go at building my own code 40 track, as I've never been overly happy with the look of the Peco code 55, especially the points.  I'm hoping to buy some components and construct a very small trial layout/diorama to see how I get on and part of the reason for constructing the fiddle yard in this way is so I can use it for an end to end set-up as well, as two separate fiddle yards.

attachicon.gifIMG_1073.JPG

As mentioned previously, I've had to alter the plan slightly and instead of the Thurso branch running round into the fiddle yard, to save space I've created a reverse loop which joins the main line.  This means that trains leaving the station heading to Thurso will need to pull forward into this loop and then reverse into the fiddle yard.  Another space saving compromise is the use of tight radius set-track curves to take the main line round towards the fiddle yard.  The only room that the layout will fit it when fully assembled is the living room, meaning that most of the time it will be stored in a cupboard.  I can only assembly two boards in the spare bedroom, which is fine for working on but not much fun otherwise.

attachicon.gifIMG_1077.JPG

That's all for now

Cheers

Shaun

Have you taken a look at fiNetrax? A bit small and tricky for me but a well thought out system which makes turnouts as easy as possible in N.

Have you taken a look at fiNetrax? A bit small and tricky for me but a well thought out system which makes turnouts as easy as possible in N.

Yes, it's probably the very reason that I'm considering it, cheers

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all, another quick update.  It turns out that the layout will fit in the spare room - diagonally with about 20mm to spare.  Thank goodness, I really wasn't looking forward setting it up in the living room each time i want to have a play around.  One board will need to be removed to allow the door to open but other than that there are no issues, at least this way I can leave the stock sitting on it too.  So watch this space, we have a visitor coming next Saturday but after that there will be some more photos, this time with actual trains.

The station building is slowly but surely progressing too, here is a shot of it in situ ready to be glazed. 

post-866-0-87444900-1460914389_thumb.jpg

cheers

Shaun

Edited by jennarivo
  • Like 11

The station building is now glazed and partially roofed.  The stonework is Slaters Stone Courses plasticard (4mm rather than 2mm) and the window etches are from Peedie Models in Orkney; they're not quite the right size but they're the closest I could find.

post-866-0-86287500-1461352532_thumb.jpg

cheers

Shaun

• Like 6

Chimney stacks added, roof tiled and a bit of painting done too.  I have used Redutex Slate Square Dark Grey for the tiles, I'm quite impressed with them, it's definitely one of their better textures suits this model perfectly.  Ridge flashing and down pipes will be added tomorrow night and hopefully it can be set in place for the layouts first proper running session which is scheduled to be held on Thursday.

post-866-0-96800000-1461609795.jpg

cheers

Shaun

• Like 18

Today's inaugural running session went reasonably well with only a few minor track adjustments necessary off-scene.  Not really sure if it qualifies as an actual running session though as I spent most of the afternoon taking stock out of boxes, mostly for the first time - lot's of locos to run in over the coming weeks.

A few snaps below:

attachicon.gifIMG_1091.JPG

A few BG/GUV vans in the sidings at the Wick end, this is probably the only part of the layout that will get any natural light shining on it.

attachicon.gifIMG_1092.JPG

An overall shot of the station area.  I'm quite happy with the station building so far, still a bit of detailing and weathering to do before it's ready to fix in place and bed in.

attachicon.gifIMG_1093.JPG

26013 arriving from Inverness with a mixed goods.  The farmer appears to have abandoned his tractor and my thinking juice visible in the background.

attachicon.gifIMG_1094.JPG

The Wick end sidings again, this time from a different perspective.

attachicon.gifIMG_1095.JPG

My version of Georgemas has a pair of independent snowploughs based in it, one of them resides in the PW siding for most of the year.

That's all for now,

cheers

Shaun

Shaun,

You've captured the atmosphere perfectly, the country scenery with the almost desolate location of the station. Lovely rolling stock to compliment all that hard work. Always a pleasure to see your progress shots.

Keep up the excellent work!

Best regards,

Jeremy

P.S. Hope the San Miguel went down well! :D

Hi all

Thanks for all the kind comments.

The station building has had a bit more attention this week and is now structurally complete.  The rear porch has been added, as has what was once the gents toilet block.  Some Ratio telegraph poles have also been painted and set in place; they're not fixed yet hence the wonky-ness.

No trains this week, just some b&w progress pics of the station area.

post-866-0-01513100-1462649373_thumb.jpg

post-866-0-52673500-1462649396_thumb.jpg

post-866-0-97194500-1462649413_thumb.jpg

post-866-0-40218500-1462649429_thumb.jpg

Shaun

• Like 17

• 2 weeks later...

Not much to report recently, except that work has commenced on the Snow blowers which reside just beyond the station on the Inverness side.  Apparently these were designed to deflect the wind away from the line to prevent it being fowled by drifting snow - although I'll stand corrected if need be........ :scratchhead:

In reality these are positioned just beyond the points however my points are a tad closer to the station than they should be and are just out of shot.

post-866-0-02211000-1463764462_thumb.jpg

Cheers

Shaun

• Like 10

Another topic I've not seen before! Excellent modelling Shaun, always liked Georgemas Junction and the interesting splitting of trains, following a visit in the mid 80s.

Will follow with interest!

Plenty of train joining and splitting to come..........

Looking really good now, only one or two things missing...... midges and rain

Excellent work and in N

Regards Jeff

So true, in pretty much half of the photos I have come across everything is wet, it makes it difficult at times to determine colours.

Here's a shot from today showing the almost finished article sitting in place with the glue drying.  A dark wash yet and a bit vegetation will finish off.

post-866-0-99458400-1463858062_thumb.jpg

• Like 13