Georgemas Junction in N

jennarivo

shaun

just came across this thread, very nice modelling.

gary

Thanks Gary, you found me then!

Very little progress this weekend.  Just some pics of this evening's play session.

Quite fitting for the current weather, although no snow here at Georgemas so must have just been a test run.  A pair of grubby 26s running through from Thurso to Wick with independent ploughs.

post-866-0-03363900-1516565045_thumb.jpg

post-866-0-63203400-1516565055_thumb.jpg

post-866-0-27443700-1516565076_thumb.jpg

• Like 16

Thanks Gary, you found me then!

Very little progress this weekend.  Just some pics of this evening's play session.

Quite fitting for the current weather, although no snow here at Georgemas so must have just been a test run.  A pair of grubby 26s running through from Thurso to Wick with independent ploughs.

attachicon.gifIMG_2238.JPG

attachicon.gifIMG_2237.JPG

attachicon.gifIMG_2239.JPG

Pity your track does not pass along my road - could've done with a snowplough this week! Lovely model!

Marlyn

Something that seldom seems to have made it into photos on the Far North Line, but happened all the same, was fish traffic heading south with passenger workings. 

Here's a grubby 26030 with a far too clean fish van in tow entering Georgemas with the Wick portion of the last southbound service of the day.

post-866-0-02132200-1516901198_thumb.jpg

• Like 19

I need to find out a bit more about the historic transport of fish by rail in Sutherland. There’s a few old black and white photos with Lochinver wooden boxes on the platforms. I seem to remember reading about the transport of salmon by road from salmon net fishing stations, such as the one at the mouth of the River Naver by Bettyhill, to the nearest railway station which I assume would have been Thurso?

Perhaps Lairg?

Possibly, Richard. Will check out with some of the Sutherland historians. A lady called Anne Coombs also undertook research into the female herring gutters who followed the herring fleet. She discovered that fishwives from Embo used the train to come to Lairg to sell their fish and collected cones from the woods near the station on their way back (for smoking the herring).

As you say, the Highland fish, and to an extent, the sheep and cattle traffic is poorly recorded and anything you can find will be of interest. Local history groups are the most likely source, or even chance encounters. I was chatting away to a woman in the shop a couple of years ago and it turns out her father worked at Thurso station and she often went to help/play there (different days...); anyway, she remembered the intensity of sale days and told me of occasions when doubled headed Black Fives were used on some of these trains( she did know what she was talking about,BTW, - I did some cross checking with her and she was knowledgable about these matters) I suggested she record this with the local society for posterity; whether she did I don't know. Another time I discovered that another customer was the widow of a Helmsdale fireman, who had moved away after the shed closed. Unfortunately she had nothing  beyond fond memories of their time there to add to my search for gen on the place...

Better get back to matters Georgemas here I  suppose though,- I have now scanned all of the acquired negatives, and found one or two showing the cattle pens if you are still interested, Shaun.

May I ask how you fitted the snowploughs to the 26s without obstructing the coupler bearing? Did you remove the ... splitter (?) in the middle to gain access? 

I can help with that. I cut the center plough out with a craft knife and glued the two outer ploughs to the sides of the coupling mount with super glue.

post-19706-0-31088200-1517671256_thumb.jpg

Hope that helps.

• Like 1

Guest teacupteacup

Just read through this thread, cracking layout!

Im getting more and more tempted by N, despite the fact I can see it less and less!  Layouts like yours just dont help!!!

I've got a black and white cat just like yours and he takes great delight in swiping 4mm stock, god knows what he'd be like with 2mm!!!

I can help with that. I cut the center plough out with a craft knife and glued the two outer ploughs to the sides of the coupling mount with super glue.

Thanks Mike, you beat me to it.

My method is exactly the same.  It's quite simple to do and 26s just don't look right without them.  I did fit the full three piece set to one end of one loco, but all the others are done using this method as I wanted to have a choice of branch locos available to be able to shunt at the station which can require the use of both ends 

post-866-0-91966000-1517739101_thumb.jpg

Edited by jennarivo
  • Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Not much activity over the last week or so, I've been away with work a lot recently.

I did manage to get some pics in daylight hours for once.  Although the room the railway is in is north facing it does get some decent light for a few hours during the day.

A couple of engineers vans in the sidings awaiting their next tour or duty.  

post-866-0-92233700-1518466553_thumb.jpg

As the layout has to be stored from time to time, I didn't really want a normal type back-scene as I felt it would need to get handled too much and be susceptible to damage.  Plus the layout sits diagonally across the room and can be photographed from all sides.  Instead I'm hoping to go for a digital version and although this one is not quite right for the area it should give an idea of what I'm planning. 

post-866-0-44725600-1518466535_thumb.jpg

cheers

Shaun

• Like 7

Passable enough, at least in B/W. It certainly sets the scene.

I agree, i always think that the backscene looks the part, mind you i have seen many and to me the most effective are those which are deliberately blurred and as a result the eye is not drawn too much to it as opposed to the layout. Bust it does indeed look the part here.

Gary

Evening all, 

A few weeks ago I picked up another couple of Dapol class 26s on ebay (26026 and 26040).  I needed (wanted) a couple more to allow me to run a prototypical day's service, five are required to operate the daily passenger/freight workings and I thought an extra one would be handy to run an occasional double headed or special service.

Here they are with snow ploughs and discs fitted.  There was no need to renumber 26026, as apparently I must have renumbered the previous one I bought.  Although as I already had a 26040 this became 26033, I also removed the stag emblem as these didn't appear until a bit later than I'm modelling

post-866-0-37925400-1518820992_thumb.jpg

post-866-0-80479500-1518821035_thumb.jpg

• Like 17

• 7 months later...

I've been a bit quiet as of late, however work has been progressing here and there mainly on vehicles.  Here's a couple of Farish buses repainted into something that hopefully resembles Highland Omnibus livery.  I still need to figure out how to finish them with destination blinds etc. however I'm quite pleased with the way they have turned out.  This is my first attempt at airbrushing with acrylics as well which took a bit of getting used to...

post-866-0-78384000-1539206374_thumb.jpg

post-866-0-32721100-1539206404_thumb.jpg

Hopefully more to come in the not too distant future.

• Like 7

I've been a bit quiet as of late, however work has been progressing here and there mainly on vehicles. Here's a couple of Farish buses repainted into something that hopefully resembles Highland Omnibus livery. I still need to figure out how to finish them with destination blinds etc. however I'm quite pleased with the way they have turned out. This is my first attempt at airbrushing with acrylics as well which took a bit of getting used to...

Hopefully more to come in the not too distant future.

Looking good, Shaun! Fortunately, for me, there are buses available in Sutherland Transport colours, in the Oxford diecast range, for my Lairg layout! I’ve also resorted to using paper textures for the buildings, as it was quite time consuming creating my own for the scratchbuilt Invershin buildings.

Edited by Marly51

• 2 years later...
On 01/08/2012 at 13:03, Graham R said:

I know what you mean - scraps of detail built up from blurred photos which mean little to anyone except fanatics other people!

Anyway here's what I've dug out, the quality of both the shots and my scanner is pretty dubious, but as I said, only fanatics need apply...

First of all the branch inner home (already shown from the rear in the nice shots from Colin Penfold further up the thread), a McKenzie and Holland bracket signal which formerly had a second doll reading into the Thurso bay:

post-7032-0-55833600-1343818061_thumb.jpg

post-7032-0-61246100-1343818276_thumb.jpg

post-7032-0-39794100-1343818249_thumb.jpg

post-7032-0-20083300-1343818264_thumb.jpg

The Junction cabin, with measuring stick visible if you look carefully:

post-7032-0-90925700-1343818315_thumb.jpg

post-7032-0-14544100-1343818328_thumb.jpg

post-7032-0-50444900-1343818337_thumb.jpg

post-7032-0-27641900-1343818348_thumb.jpg

The cabin diagrams at North and Junction (the latter very indistinct, but I have a transcribed version if it's of interest):

post-7032-0-27481300-1343818290_thumb.jpg

post-7032-0-91974600-1343818301_thumb.jpg

The token instruments in the booking office:

post-7032-0-37195900-1343820612_thumb.jpg

The sequence of combining the Thurso and Wick portions of the Up midday train in July 1976. The Thurso portion arrived first - in summer it could be busy, I saw it at 8 vehicles - performed its station duties:

post-7032-0-15783500-1343818390.jpg

then drew part-way out of the platform to wait at the Down section signal for arrival of the Wick portion (usually much shorter, but with the buffet coach):

post-7032-0-14433600-1343818366_thumb.jpg

post-7032-0-60643900-1343818417_thumb.jpg

Once the Wick portion was safely stopped at the Up platform, the Thurso pilot drew its portion beyond the loop points and set back onto the Wick portion before detaching. (I can't remember if the loco then withdrew north again or simply waited in the Up loop for the train to depart before using the mid-loop crossover to regain the Thurso branch).

Here are similar scenes in July 1974. Ballast wagons are stabled in the Up platform loop:

post-7032-0-25967500-1343818484_thumb.jpg

post-7032-0-03153200-1343818510_thumb.jpg

post-7032-0-03745200-1343818446_thumb.jpg

Here (again in July 1974) is the Thurso pilot awaiting arrival of a Down train. It has just worked the branch goods from Thurso and attached it to an Up train, before dropping the branch brakevan in the branch loop.

post-7032-0-42448800-1343820594_thumb.jpg

The Down train arriving: the signalman has already returned the Home signal to Danger:

post-7032-0-52459300-1343820576_thumb.jpg

The guard would have locked the vestibule doors between the Wick and Thurso portions after leaving Forsinard, and on arriving at Georgemas the train (if too long to fit in the Down platform) would run through the station up to the section signal before the signalman reversed the branch points and flagged the driver to set back into the branch platform, divide, then proceed to Wick. The branch loco would then couple on and draw its portion off to Thurso.

Hope this is of some interest in spite of the dodgy quality. HR experts are very welcome to pick holes in my descriptions - it was a long time ago! - or to expand on how exactly the porter-signalman accepted trains from two or even three directions, shunted them, and despatched them using three lever frames (one in the booking office which slotted the section signals) as well as manipulating the token machines. Every time I try to walk through this sequence I go mad.. and as far as I remember the man at Georgemas didn't even have a bike to speed up his travels!

cheers

Graham

Sorry for the thread ressurection/necromancy! I've just found the picture in this post of a BCK, SC21202 at Georgemas Junction. I'm currently part of a team restoring this coach in its later guise as a Breakdown Train Living Van at the GCR. Could we use the picture of the coach on the coaches profile page on our website?

https://quornwagonandwagon.co.uk/adb977107/

Cheers,
Ross

On 05/02/2021 at 22:13, rloades said:

picture ... of a BCK, SC21202 at Georgemas Junction. I'm currently part of a team restoring this coach in its later guise as a Breakdown Train Living Van at the GCR. Could we use the picture of the coach on the coaches profile page on our website? https://quornwagonandwagon.co.uk/adb977107/

Hi Ross,

How interesting that the coach survives. Yes, of course you are very welcome to use the photo and thanks for bothering to ask. I’ll see if I can make a sharper scan (but the original was probably blurred).

Good luck with your restoration, I hope to see the final result one day.

Graham

• Thanks 1