Georgemas Junction in N

jennarivo

A new year and time for a long overdue update.

Very little happened on the railway during the summer and early autumn mainly due to the many visits of friends/family and the occasional weekend away hiking/camping. The last couple of months, however, have seen some progress.

Quite a bit has happened since the last post back in July, the third board cleaned up ok after ballasting and trains were running across all three with no issues.

The platforms have more or less been finished, just a small section to add once the water tank base is in place at the Wick end of the main platform.

Both the station footbridge and the A9 road bridge are in place, they still need a little bit of touching up and weathering, the footbridge is from Lochgorm Kits and the road bridge is scratch built.   Although it has just dawned on me that while it is currently the A9 which crosses Georgemas, back in the period I'm modelling c.1960-1980 it would have been the A895.  It didn't become the A9 until 1997 when the termination of the A9 was changed from John o'Groats to Scrabster Harbour.  I'll refer to it as the A895 road bridge from now on......

The green stuff has also been started, a couple of fields on the north side of the station have been laid and the embankment on the same side has had a couple of layers of static grass and is awaiting bushes and weeds, etc. The static grass is all of the Mininatur variety.

Some pics of progress

post-866-0-16579700-1451931718_thumb.jpg

Looking from Wick under the A9 road bridge.  The two sheds standing on the main platform are a tad under size and need to be rebuilt, I had 'guesstimated' the dimensions for old pics but was never happy with the result.  When I was in Caithness over Xmas I took a trip out to Georgemas to look for any remaining clues to help with the rebuild, and as luck would have it there is still a partial foundation visible from the one with the gabled roof which gave me the width and a join between two types of fencing which provides the length.  

post-866-0-80114300-1451931733_thumb.jpg

The North Box (or is it a cabin?).  The A9 embankment has had an initial covering of Woodland Scenics burnt turf.  The base from the old water tank sits in between the platform and this box.

post-866-0-57186500-1451931743_thumb.jpg

General view of the station looking towards Thurso.

post-866-0-67739600-1451931752_thumb.jpg

The A895 road bridge.

post-866-0-41271000-1451931763_thumb.jpg

General view looking from the Thurso branch into the station.

Back with more soon............

Shaun

• Like 11

very nice.  quite a lot of progress.  the operational interest generated by the joining and splitting of trains makes for a great layout what with the shunting required and this is why at the back of my mind I would quite like to do something similar along the lines of Carstairs Junction circa 1980s blue era again in N gauge as it gives the extra enjoyment of running not only Scottish diesels but also the WCML electrics.

I would like to know how the grass was achieved as it looks really convincing.  N gauge at its best!

Great to see an update - thank you.

The first picture caught my eye in particular:

post-866-0-16579700-1451931718_thumb.jpg

I love the focal-depth (the nearer bridge being out of focus) - it works really well as a picture.

Which leads me to ask: Did you make the two bridges in that photo, or buy them? And either way I'd be interested in source material for the lattice used.

Thanks,

Mark

Edited by Southernboy
  • Like 1

Love that lush grass on the embankment (left). How was it achieved?

G.

very nice.  quite a lot of progress.  the operational interest generated by the joining and splitting of trains makes for a great layout what with the shunting required and this is why at the back of my mind I would quite like to do something similar along the lines of Carstairs Junction circa 1980s blue era again in N gauge as it gives the extra enjoyment of running not only Scottish diesels but also the WCML electrics.

I would like to know how the grass was achieved as it looks really convincing.  N gauge at its best!

Thanks for interest.

The grass is made up of four homemade mixes using shades from the MiniNatur range

From left to right in the below pic

post-866-0-44229800-1452351942_thumb.jpg

1. This is the basic field grass mix, 2mm fibres, approx:

40% Spring

15% Early Fall

15% Late Fall

15% Summer

15% Beige

2. This is the basic embankment mix, 4.5mm fibres, approx:

40% Early Fall

30% Hay

15% Summer

15% Late Fall

3. This is used to highlight areas of longer grass, 4.5mm fibres, approx:

75% Beige

25% Late Fall

4. Another highlighting mix, used on the embankment, 4.5/6mm fibres, approx:

50% Beige

50% Early Fall

A base layer of either Woodland Scenics burnt or blended turf is laid first. Once this has dried and the excess hoovered up the static grass is applied using a Flockit applicator. Initially one of the basic mixes is laid and then highlighted with a second and third layer of a different mix. I use paper disc insets to restrict the flow from the Flockit, I find it easier to build up the layers this way.

post-866-0-01801400-1452351966_thumb.jpg

Probably the biggest help of all for me came from Gordon Gravett's Modelling Grassland and Landscape Detailing book. It really is a great resource and is full of tips and tricks.

Shaun

• Like 3

Great to see an update - thank you.

The first picture caught my eye in particular:

I love the focal-depth (the nearer bridge being out of focus) - it works really well as a picture.

Which leads me to ask: Did you make the two bridges in that photo, or buy them? And either way I'd be interested in source material for the lattice used.

Thanks,

Mark

Thanks, most of the time my photography skills leave a lot to be desired and it is one of the things on my list of "things to improve" this year.  

The footbridge is an etched brass kit from Lochgorm Kits see http://www.lochgormkits.co.uk/assets/applets/Lochgormkits_catalogue_2_mm_update_February_2015.pdf and certainly put my soldering skills to the test, which usually extend to soldering feeds to track.  It was a bit fiddley to assemble but I'm quite pleased with the result, the camera won't be going too close though....

The road bridge was a simple scratch build, although I did cheat slightly as the lattice iron sides are from P&D Marsh see http://www.pdmarshmodels.com/show_product.php?pid=52

cheers

Shaun

• 3 weeks later...

love to see new pics with some type 2s doing their thing with some Mk1s........

If you insist.....

post-866-0-05740400-1454014906_thumb.jpg

The bulk of the green stuff is complete on the first 2 boards, still lots of detailing and touching up to do yet though.  I'm not entirely happy with the short grass in the fields and I'll maybe re-do at some point in the distant future.  The remaining structures have progressed a bit as well, the shed on the down platform has been rebuilt and now looks much closer to scale and I've re-clad the original one that I built and it can be seen in the above pic (half painted) next to the livestock pens.  I'm not sure how much livestock was actually loaded/unloaded here but the pens survived into the early 60s.  

I'll be starting on the 3rd and final board this weekend and once I get it to the same standard of these two you can expect a few more pics.

cheers

Shaun

• Like 19

Absolutely fantastic!! You've done a brilliant job on landscaping and ballasting - now I'm anxious to see the station building finished!

Cheers,

Kosta

I'm not sure why but I seem to be avoiding the station building like the plague.

To add up to that: how did you create those beautiful shrubs on top of the embankment? They' re gorgeous!

Thanks, it's a bit of a combination of different techniques, I've got lots more to do on the Wick side so this time I'll post some pics as I go.

Some more progress pics, the Wick side has now commenced.....

post-866-0-37982300-1454269093_thumb.jpg

An overall view showing the board with a layer ground cover and fence posts installed, I've lost count of how many of these I've done, think it's about 500. A dry stone dyke which pre-dates the railway can also be seen, this still needs a few washes and a bit of dry brushing.

post-866-0-16760900-1454269335_thumb.jpg

This is where the PW trolley hut will sit.  The terrain of this side of the station is not quite prototypical, in reality the land is pretty flat but I've raised the land around the track to give a better scenic break.

post-866-0-22027100-1454269428_thumb.jpg

Embankment coated in bog standard PVA and ready for grass.  I've added some Woodland Scenics Bushes and a few other bits of rough ground cover, I'll add in the rest of the vegetation after the grass has been done.

post-866-0-36588300-1454269630_thumb.jpg

Embankment grass down.

That's all for this weekend, cheers.

• Like 13

This week has seen some more progress on the Wick board,  the embankments have had their vegetation added and the fields to the south of the track have been grassed.

To add up to that: how did you create those beautiful shrubs on top of the embankment? They' re gorgeous!

Apart from the grass pretty much all the scenic stuff is from the Woodland Scenics range.  I trialed quite a few different manufacturers but settled with this one as I felt they had the most comprehensive range and it just looked right alongside the MiniNatur grasses.

I plant the bushes first and predominantly they are just that, Woodland Scenics Bushes or Clump Foliage in either Dark, Medium or Olive Green shades.  Once these are stuck down I give them a dusting of Fine Turf in varying shades to add some depth to them.

post-866-0-84346200-1454789020_thumb.jpg

I've also used this stuff for some of them, I believe it is some sort of rubberised hair, which again once formed and glued in place is dusted with some Fine Turf.

post-866-0-86361600-1454789047_thumb.jpg

Weeds, flowers, etc. are then added.  For the darker weeded areas I just go over the top of the grass with watered down (50/50) PVA and sprinkle on some Green Grass Fine Turf.  The lighter weeds are created from Light Green Foliage again dusted with some Fine Turf to give some variation.  The pink flowers (or flowering weeds) are made from some Poly Fibre which is then dusted sparingly with pink scatter.

post-866-0-48795900-1454789065_thumb.jpg

Once the vegetation is in place I dry brush some cream coloured acrylic paint onto some of the grass to add a bit more depth and variation.

post-866-0-36607200-1454789085_thumb.jpg

post-866-0-44469200-1454789732_thumb.jpg

This is one of the pics I've been using for reference https://www.flickr.com/photos/davidwf2009/5561086651/in/photolist-9tq2jk-9tq2eP-5Fqafk-CMFdSu-qFTGm6-9BbAdA-iNpqpi-bRBP1x-bCWUmG-bBXA6K-hNmiyN-qPcrkF-iWYqw8-doEjeo-8Td3Mi-mEQKjM-7gZh3g-9WsTPe-bvoD82-goywNn-fq6SH3-avgZ9F-9tsYA3-bUMZ1V-b5GFHZ-bEefER-rscYTE-zuShqA-9Bbztb-9Bbykm-9BbB9L-9B8HTe-9B8M1z-9Bbxfo-oaHxo9-gjnucr-nCnzcq-bnfMKD-hNkDTj-4qZT8B-hNkQnW-9B8L2r-fq6Vmh-bRBMea-dqkkfi-dqkjag-bCH3iN-azRsVf-eSrovy-eSf3YB.  I really must thank everyone who has ever taken and uploaded a picture of Georgemas as they have provided me with no end of help.  It would also appear to be one of the most photographed Far North Line locations - Thanks :)

The final shot for this weekend is of the field to the South Side of the board which also shows the picture I was using as a reference.

post-866-0-49409000-1454789779_thumb.jpg

Cheers

Shaun

• Like 15

• 2 weeks later...

Time for a quick update, I have spent the last week working on some of the various structures, I've finally added the stairs to both signal boxes. The North box (or cabin) can be seen in the pic below, when I built this there was no layout or even a baseboard for that matter and I neglected to take into account the height of the sleepers on the Peco code 55 track.  It left the box being about a scale foot lower than it should be and as can be seen I've had to bump it up a bit.  I don't really want to replace the stonework base so I'm going to try to hide the gap with ballast and green stuff and see how it looks.  

I spent the whole day on Sunday (and I really do mean the whole day) constructing my latest purchase, some 2mm SA LMS rail built buffer stops.  I needed 8 so I bought 9 and this proved to be a smart move as the 1st one ended up in the bin.  The kit comes as a single etch in mirrored halves which is folded along the center and the two haves soldered together, the parts are then cut out and the buffer is assembled.  The instructions suggested I may want to tin the rear prior to folding, this did not work for me at all and after the 1st one hit the bin i resorted to folding in half and clamping it shut and soldering all visible seams, I then removed the clamps and finished the seams.  After this initial bit was done it wasn't too bad, very fidgety though.  They're now all soldered to the track and one of them can be seen below, definitely an improvement from the Peco option and well worth the effort I think

post-866-0-77431000-1455739998_thumb.jpg

cheers

Shaun

• Like 13

• RMweb Gold

Brilliant modelling, puts my efforts all those ago to shame...  fully agree on bufferstops- the plonking of peco stops -to me any way screams N gauge ! These folding up little nightmares - I have done 3 and have a couple more to do for fun?  really descale views and with the track and scenery so well done make guessing the scale and gauge a competition - with the new Mk1s and Dapols 26s matching the 4mm versions- and beating on loco front really up the standards possible and your work proves it !

I look forward to seeing this model progress quite inspirational many thanks for letting us all view the work done

Robert  

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all, 

Not much to report as of late, I knocked up the PW hut over the weekend from Redutex corrugated iron sheet and gave it a going over with some powders.  I've also been experimenting with some of their other textures too as I'm trying to find one suitable for the station building - no luck yet though.  The junction box has finally been repainted and fitted in position too.

post-866-0-17425200-1456946705_thumb.jpg

post-866-0-21332900-1456946777_thumb.jpg

The next big task is to complete the rest of the baseboards and start the non-scenic track and fiddle yard - then to get some trains running.

cheers

Shaun

• Like 15

• 2 weeks later...