Georgemas Junction in N

jennarivo

• 2 weeks later...

Looking great, really like the fern growing by the lineside on the left, often pondered how many would be needed if modelling some of the remoter parts of Highland lines?! :-)

Thanks, I'd been wanting to try the Noch laser minis for quite some time, I'm not convinced there were any/many there in real life though, but I'd bought them so they were going on.  I've also planted a rhubarb patch behind the station building.

Edited by jennarivo
  • Like 1

• 2 months later...

Looking good. Is the rectangular building in the 5th photo a water tower? Only ask as I saw a similar structure in a photo c.1968 at Thurso, although semi derelict.

Also the shot with milk tanks intrigued me, I am led to believe milk ran from Dingwall to Kyle for the islands, though carried in churns usually in 4w CCT/PMV vans attached to a passenger train at Dingwall (although this could be an error by the photographer, I suspect the churns MAY have carried water for the stations and Signal Boxes en-route, rather than milk, but I'm not sure).

Nice work anyway! :-)

• 4 weeks later...

Hi,

This popped up my Flickr stream this morning so thought I'd post it here for you. Hope it's of some use.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/andy_hoare/5471695900/

Best regards,

Jeremy

Thanks for that, I think I've come across that one before.  Looks like the loco has sustained some battle damage at some point - not sure how to model it though.....

Looking good. Is the rectangular building in the 5th photo a water tower? Only ask as I saw a similar structure in a photo c.1968 at Thurso, although semi derelict.

Also the shot with milk tanks intrigued me, I am led to believe milk ran from Dingwall to Kyle for the islands, though carried in churns usually in 4w CCT/PMV vans attached to a passenger train at Dingwall (although this could be an error by the photographer, I suspect the churns MAY have carried water for the stations and Signal Boxes en-route, rather than milk, but I'm not sure).

Nice work anyway! :-)

Correct, that's the water tank base and Thurso had a very similar one too I believe.  

I must admit I don't think milk tanks ran up here, I haven't come across any in pictures north of Inverness, although I'd love to be proved wrong - I just quite liked them and thought, what if...

cheers

Shaun

Some cracking weathering on those wagons there -the whole scene gels very well indeed, and you have captured that Georgemas look to perfection. Almost tempts me to think  about 2mm, but my eyes would baulk at trying anything in that scale now.....

Thanks Richard.  I'm quite pleased with how things are going - albeit slowly.  Now that I've started to weather some stock the 'straight out of the box' stuff just looks out of place.  I'll probably be focusing on the stock over the next few months fitting couplings so I can have some joining/splitting/shunting fun.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Thanks for the links, unfortunately progress has ground to a halt at the moment.  This year the visitors just kept on coming and coupled with a wedding or two there has been little time for the layout.  The modelling drought looks set to continue well into the new year as I have acquired another flat that needs an extensive renovation and this will be my little project until Easter or thereabouts.

cheers

Shaun

• 4 months later...

George mas.

Back when I was "knee high to a grasshopper" and travelling by train to Wick with my Grandmother and Great-Grandmother (the latter didn't speak English, or at least pretended not to), Georgemas stuck out on the journey for being about the only station which they referred to in English as you've pronounced it, albeit it with Snaidhm rather than with a proper Gaelic name.

It's odd the daft things you remember!

• 2 months later...

It's been a good while since the last update - the best part of a year.  In that time I've bought and renovated another flat which I finally finished in June and have moved a tenant in.  This month has mainly been taken up with the usual influx of visitors although I did manage to set up the layout and do a bit of work for a few days in between visits.

It's not really obvious from the pic below but the pillars of the road bridge have been considerably widened after it was quite rightly pointed out that they were much too thin.  I've also added some plants and bushes alongside the platform, which going by the pictures I have of the actual location disappeared in the very early seventies, I just felt that the fence looked a bit chunky when there on its own.

post-866-0-32115600-1500803851_thumb.jpg

A couple of, not quite finished, engineers vans sit in the bay platform awaiting their next tour of duty.  I started working on these about a year ago and they are my first attempts at repaints.  The mess van is an NGS Stove R repainted in black livery and the CCT was originally in engineers red although it was just too bold in colour so I stripped it back and repainted it in a more faded, and hopefully realistic,  condition.

post-866-0-64842900-1500803864_thumb.jpg

Same as above in B&W, I can't quite remember where the hand cart came from, although I do recall it being very well designed and easy to construct.

post-866-0-81157600-1500803875_thumb.jpg

I should manage to get the layout set-up again over the next week or so.  I intend to re-lay the fiddle yard track as I didn't make a great job of it initially nor did I make best use of the available space.  I've also been working on a few NGS wagon kits that I picked up at the Glasgow show in February.

That's all for now, hopefully back with more in the very near future.

cheers

Shaun

• Like 13

• All very nicely modelled indeed. I see you have made some use of 2mm S&W couplings. I have used these as well, and I like them. Personally, I found them easier than DGs. You don't often see them used in this scale.

Edited by andy stroud

• 5 months later...

This oozes atmosphere . You've captured the rather bleak railway line well. I think it shows you've lived in the area you're modelling . If N had the locos and sound it has now then I'd probably have chosen the N gauge route myself.

Hi Shaun - lovely layout and interesting old photographs in your posts!

I am working on a Far North layout in N gauge at present, based around 1940s Sutherland. I have made one signal box using thread and card to represent the timber board walls. Would you mind me asking how you constructed yours? Also I was wondering about the corrugated roofs of the various railway buildings - were they usually naturally rust red? My first attempt has a grey paper printed ‘corrugated’ roof, which may be incorrect? Most of the old reference photos I found were black and white. I’ll be posting more about my layout later.

Marlyn

Hi Shaun - lovely layout and interesting old photographs in your posts!

I am working on a Far North layout in N gauge at present, based around 1940s Sutherland. I have made one signal box using thread and card to represent the timber board walls. Would you mind me asking how you constructed yours? Also I was wondering about the corrugated roofs of the various railway buildings - were they usually naturally rust red? My first attempt has a grey paper printed ‘corrugated’ roof, which may be incorrect? Most of the old reference photos I found were black and white. I’ll be posting more about my layout later.

Marlyn

I've actually cheated a bit with my signal boxes I was going to use 0.010" rod glued into the groove on Slaters 1mm planking.  However, after some trials I decided that it was going to be far too fidgety so I proceeded using the 1mm planking alone.  It doesn't stand up to close up scrutiny but (I think) it looks alright from a distance.

The corrugated roofing on the boxes and platform building is Evergreen corrugated plasticard with 1mm (0.040") spacing.  Although afterwards I stumbled across the Redutex range of self adhesive textured sheets, they do a few different corrugated offerings and it was this i used on my PW hut.  Some of their patterns are a bit questionable but the corrugated ones seem ok.  They also have the advantage of being substantially thinner than the plasticard equivalent.

post-866-0-16586600-1516222055_thumb.jpg

The other place that I've used a Redutex sheet was for the tiled roof of the station building

post-866-0-76774900-1516223092_thumb.jpg

The colour scheme that I've used on the signal boxes and some platform buildings was prototypical although not for the period that I'm modelling - I just quite liked it.  I don't know when it initially appeared as the earliest colour photos I've seen date from the late 50s, it was phased out at Georgemas during the late 60s / early 70s.  I've been quite lucky for photos, it seems that Georgemas has been one of the most photographed station on the Far North Line, I've referenced over 400 so far that pre-date 1990.  A great source of Far North Line pics is Ernie Brack's flickr page, see here https://www.flickr.com/photos/irishswissernie/albums/72157691625089715

cheers

Shaun

• Like 9

Thanks Shaun - really appreciate your advice. I may remake some of my buildings, for comparison, at a later stage. Been chatting to ‘Ben Alder’ Richard, as well, and he gave me the link to an Ernie’s amazing collection of Scottish Railway photographs on Flickr. I have chosen the same colour scheme as you for my cabins but the corrugated roofs are grey. I’ll be posting details of the layouts later this year. Juggling a few things at the same time as usual!

All the best, Marlyn