BRM February 2010

Dicky W

Hello everyone - here's what's coming up in the February issue of BRM:

In Platform this month John Emerson announces the 2010 BRM Awards, which will be presented at the British Festival of Railway Modelling at Doncaster. The award for best layout will now be known as the Cyril Freezer Memorial Award to commemorate the contribution made by Cyril to the hobby.

News and product reviews

Bachmann's surprising new NRM-driven model, what's new at Warley and the models on way from Hornby in 2010. Tower's new RTR O gauge J39, Lionheart Trains' RTR Pannier amd Farish's 'Scot' are reviewed.

Layout focus

Westcliff, Richard Butler's superb pre-Group Great Western EM gauge layout, Rowington for Shrewley - more pre-Grouping GW - this time in OO from Dick Hewins.

Starting out

The second installment in the construction of the BRM layout Canons Cross - this time Mick Quinn looks at wiring.

The BRM awards

Tony Wright looks at the winners and those that came close!

Locomotive conversion

Ten tips for re-wheeling diesels by Nigel Burkin

Show preview

The return of the Festival of British Railway Modelling to Doncaster Racecourse

Miscellany

Whether to weather you locos and stock - Richard Wilson looks at the commercial options.

Toy division

David Brown takes another look back at his first proper layout and the difficult combination of hardboard and track pins!

As you may or may not know I'm now responsible for editing Traction magazine following the departure of David Brown. I will continue to produce material for BRM and am still responsible for Readers' Layouts and everything else I've commissioned thus far. I will also continue to develop new material for BRM in addition to my new role. I'll also continue to post here on behalf of BRM.

See you at Doncaster?

Regards

• RMweb Gold

Westcliff, Richard Butler's superb pre-Group Great Western EM gauge layout, Rowington for Shrewley - more pre-Grouping GW - this time in OO from Dick Hewins.

Thanks for that, looks like a must-have for some of us smile.gif . With City of Truro also on the table and certain hopes for the Hornby 2010 range, this is beginning to look like a regular come-back for a certain old railway company. Things do go in cycles, don't they?!

February issue - wow! you are getting ahead; it's only December of the year before :blink:

When does it go on sale?

Yep, see you at Doncaster - I've taken advantage of that ??9 rail fare offer and booked some tickets.

G.

The magazine should be with subscribers round the weekend of 8-11 January and on sale on the 14th January. It's just that we have to have February's magazine with the print side before Christmas - likewise Traction

I will post what's coming up in February's Traction here if wanted - though I do appreciate it's a majority prototype magazine so probably doesn't have a place here!

Regards

• 2 weeks later...

Purchased my copy today in local model store

layout focus

Westcliff- dorset riviera EM gauge

Rowington for Shrewley pre grouping GWR 4mm

Derek

eh - I didnt think it was out until the end of next week - ?

I picked up a copy at my local model shop today. A rather interesting issue. Really nice to see that N gauges recent rapid improvements in quality and range have been recognised and rewarded with three of the six gongs up for grabs in the BRM 2010 awards. It's certainly proving itself to be a more acceptable and accessible railway modelling scale than ever before and looks like it's coming of age.

G.

No sign of it in Basingstoke yet. Mind you with all the snow trouble we are still only just receiving Christmas cards that were posted almost 3 weeks ago! :blink:

A few inches of snow and Basingstoke suddenly becomes one giant park. <_<

• RMweb Gold

No sign of it in Basingstoke yet. Mind you with all the snow trouble we are still only just receiving Christmas cards that were posted almost 3 weeks ago! :blink:

A few inches of snow and Basingstoke suddenly becomes one giant park. <_<

No sign yet of my subscriber issue.Are they delayed with the snow ?Having said that I've had an Amazon parcel Saturday I ordered Friday so the post seems ok.

One can never tell where problems lie. My postie has been very successful in battling through the snow, often arriving earlier than usual, but so far has not brought the February BRM. The bills continue to arrive promptly ...

Chris

Update: my sub copy has just arrived. The space in my local Tesco which this issue would occupy was empty yesterday and it had not reached WHSmith in Bedford this morning.

Thinks: this is about the normal timescale. I have no reason to doubt the members who bought theirs last week but I think I'm very surprised that they did!

Now to settle down with a cuppa and read all about Westcliff. This is an atmospheric layout that I have seen several times and let's hope that the magazine does it justice.

Chris

Update: my sub copy has just arrived. The space in my local Tesco which this issue would occupy was empty yesterday and it had not reached WHSmith in Bedford this morning.

Thinks: this is about the normal timescale. I have no reason to doubt the members who bought theirs last week but I think I'm very surprised that they did!

Now to settle down with a cuppa and read all about Westcliff. This is an atmospheric layout that I have seen several times and let's hope that the magazine does it justice.

Chris

• RMweb Gold

Also received mine.Its a belter of an issue.The layout 'Rowington for Shrewley' caught my eye.A pre grouping GW layout with hand built stock.Very nice.'Westcliff'is rather good too. :icon_thumbsup2: I would liked to have seen a better review of Bachmanns City of Truro though.

Crickey thats early !!

Sorry I meant the Readers Layout section where they have pix of 3-5 layouts on a double page spread with a few words about each layout.

:icon_clap:

You really are incredibly interested in that, aren't you Alan :icon_biggrin:

Sorry to be so long answering this but I've not been able to log on for nearly a fortnight.

The reason i was so interested was not that Wencombe would be mentioned, but young Josh's layout potterbourne was due in that section. Unfortunately it's been delayed until the next issue so he was told.

Archived