Best e-tailer for SNCF Stock

samkiller42

• RMweb Gold

Sam, for single items P&P costs Euros 9 but once you go over a threshold (have not checked on website to see what that is) P&P costs nothing. What arrived today cost me nothing in P&P.

No problems with customs as it's an inter-EC transaction and you would already have paid VAT at the French rate when you bought the items. Only commissions you have to pay are the charges levied by the credit card company for doing the FX transaction.

Keith

• 2 weeks later...

Strange to hear that Hobby Trains (Versailles) is not so problematic. I had great service from them in the past.

Jura Modelisme (lets kill using the 'Million' tag please - I think its essentially a wider company branding as he runs an Ambulance service amongst other things). Mr JM is a lovely bloke, and nice to see he has come so up to date with his electronic shop. When I am at the family house near Geneva, he is the best 'local' French model shop, albeit over an hour's drive over the top of the Jura mountains - still plenty of Geneva regioan people do do the drive due to the pot of gold at the end of it!

If you are ever in the area, a personal visit to the shop is a dream. It is in a quiet lane on the outskirts of Poligny with the pine-clad Jura mountians rising up behind! I challenge anyone not to come away from it dreaming of living in the same location. The whole area is worth a holiday, with intresting railways, Arbois wine region etc.

• RMweb Premium

C & M Models in Carlisle, at http://www.candmmodels.co.uk/, is another retailer of French railway models - they sell LS Models, Roco, Jouef and Rivarossi at least. Not bought anything "foreign" from them yet - I'm waiting for the new LS Models 22200 to arrive - but good service in the past for UK stuff.

EDIT: to add website link

Edited by brushman47544

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

On the topic of http://www.hobby-trains.fr, I have ordered twice from them in the past.

The first time was trouble-free and quite prompt.

The second time was a couple of months ago and the order status was 'payment accepted' for 2 months. I've been e-mailing via different routes and tried 'phoning repeatedly. The order status changed to 'Preparation in Progress' about a week ago and this is where it has stayed. They have not replied to any e-mails other then automated responses. Pretty annoyed as this is a 250 EUR order.

Avoid.

• RMweb Gold

On the topic of http://www.hobby-trains.fr, I have ordered twice from them in the past.

The second time was a couple of months ago and the order status was 'payment accepted' for 2 months. I've been e-mailing via different routes and tried 'phoning repeatedly. The order status changed to 'Preparation in Progress' about a week ago and this is where it has stayed. They have not replied to any e-mails other then automated responses. Pretty annoyed as this is a 250 EUR order.

Avoid.

How did you make the payment? If by credit or debit card, I suggest you contact your card supplier for a refund.

Avoid.

That is what happened to me. Get onto your bank and tell them what has happened and that the goods have yet to be delivered, they should be able to claim the funds back but make sure you do it after 28 days and before 6 months is up. It is very important to do it as soon as you can because otherwise there is not the time to process the claim properly.

That guy had the cheek to say that the stuff for my order was not available (it was, direct from the supplier!!!) and that I could have anything else from his stock as a substitute. I sent him countless emails and he ignored most of them. He had the cheek to say that he had been responding as well (which he hadn't).

I hope that you can get it sorted, I eventually got my money refunded, but it took some serious doing. If I can be of any help then drop me a PM!

• 4 weeks later...

C & M Models in Carlisle, at http://www.candmmodels.co.uk/, is another retailer of French railway models - they sell LS Models, Roco, Jouef and Rivarossi at least. Not bought anything "foreign" from them yet - I'm waiting for the new LS Models 22200 to arrive - but good service in the past for UK stuff.

EDIT: to add website link

Mike is a top guy and very knowledgeable I would go to C and M first. He has a good stock of French and other Euro outline stuff.

• 5 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

For those interested in Ep.III/IV freight wagons have noticed that The Hobby Shop at Faversham (http://www.hobb-e-mail.com) have some very nice looking (in my opinion!!) REE Modeles 2-axle Wagon UFR Mono-Porteur and 2-axle Tank Wagons both in a number of liveries on their website.

No connection, other than a satisfied customer of what is my closest proper model shop, with The Hobby Shop

EDIT to give full website address

Edited by tetsudofan
  • Like 1

You may find Harry Maynard worth looking at http://www.modelshopuk.com I've bought a few things from him at SNCF Society get togethers and his prices (especially with a 10% discount for SNCF society members) are rather lower than Pierre Dominique's. Pierre Dominique seem to have a good reputation. I've not used them for mail order but have bought off their stands at a couple of French shows where they did hold a good stock.

• 1 year later...

Cannot comment if they are the best, but I am happily using FB Systems - www.fbsystems.com

Also a satisfied user of Pierre Dominique

I second this recommendation.  Their shop is in Bessan, east of Béziers, with typical French business hours, i.e. don't go there at lunchtime or at weekends!  They have good stock including some North American stuff but mostly French and other mainland European.  Peco track is in stock.  Send an email before visiting, preferably in French as their English is limited.  Their business appears to be more mail order than LHS counter service.

• 1 year later...

Has anybody got any experience - good or bad - of https://www.en.dm-toys.de I'm new to the scene and finding this thread has been a good find for me, particularly Trains160 for N-gauge. DM-Toys and Jura Modelisme both sell Startrain's CC 65500s for a similar price, but DM-Toys offer them with sound for an extra 35euros which seems cheap, but like I say I am new to the scene so just wondered if this is right? The drop down list on their shop shows Analogue or DCC+SX, the latter I presume being DDC fitted and sound chipped?

I have bought from DM toys a few times. He also lists stuff on eBay including one day auctions starting at a euro.

Having just looked at the website, I think that the 35 euros is only for a DCC fitted loco and no sound. I don't think a sound recording has been done on this class.

If you are after a sound engine, I can recommend the sound fitted 72000 by Arnold. Mine was bought from dmtoys via eBay for 150 euros inc post. Worth keeping an eye out for one.

Many thanks for that, Jon. Do you happen to know what the SX part of "DCC + SX" may denote then? Also appreciate the recommendation of the 72000 - I shall have a mooch around the net. Got a 73500 unit and looking for a suitable sound-fitted loco to haul a short rake of coaches and shunt a few wagons on a small layout I am creating. I'm still very new to the modelling scene so not quite confident enough just yet to start taking stock apart and fitting sound systems.

You can get a sound chip for a 73500 Autorail and it is simple to install. It used to be available from trains160 so it might be worth sending him an email. Being a 6 pin decoder it was a case of removing the body and then plugging in the decoder. There was plenty of space for the decoder and the speaker inside the unit.

In terms of a shunter I have not seen any sound modules for smaller locos yet.

Also, sorry to blow my own trumpet, give me an instant message if you want to buy a kit for a DU65 draisine.

• 2 years later...

Shameless plug from me for my own online shop that sells my 3D print creations:

https://www.shapeways.com/shops/draisine160

I am intending to setup a full blog style web site soon that will have the range of full kits (including non 3D printed parts) soon. I also sell my prints in kit form on eBay but I can usually do better deals outside of eBay. If you are interested then please contact me directly.

Edited by SNCF stephen
  • Like 1

• 1 year later...