PH Designs Class 90 Improvment Set

Pete Harvey

Are the Hornby Class 87 Brecknell Willis pantographs available as spares? These are a vast improvement over the older pans we know and hate from the ageing Class 86/90.

Many a time I've tried contacting Hornby about the spare Class 87 pantographs. I even contacted their other 'spares and service dealers' but it's no use. Hornby only have the Javelin, eurostar and their chunky pantos as spares. I even needed one for the Pendolino - but can't get that also. Hurst models hasn't had their pantograph kits in stock for ages now. Wouldn't it be easier if Hornby had just used the 87's pan on their 90's??

Many a time I've tried contacting Hornby about the spare Class 87 pantographs. I even contacted their other 'spares and service dealers' but it's no use. Hornby only have the Javelin, eurostar and their chunky pantos as spares. I even needed one for the Pendolino - but can't get that also. Hurst models hasn't had their pantograph kits in stock for ages now. Wouldn't it be easier if Hornby had just used the 87's pan on their 90's??

Peters Spares on Ebay have the Class 92 Pantographs for sale and come in packs of two.. theyre not too bad, although the upper arm looks a bit weird... im going to be looking at what can be done to improve them

NL

• 3 months later...

Hey Pete,

I tried contacting you via the email provided on the website but I haven't got a reply for months now (tried again today) so I'll just put forth my suggestion here. Can you do etches for the two grills on the roof and the grills on the body. The body side grills on the Hornby model are over-sized so would you consider doing these etches? In total I'm guessing it would be 2 grills for the roof and 6 on the body.

Jeremiah.

• 2 months later...

Jeremiah,

Think twice before posting silliness, doesnt make you look big or clever.

You asked the forum had anyone used the kit and I replied. I made a decision and invested my money to get one. If a product looks good, that's what I do. If its of poor quality or manufacture I dont.

I dont though adopt the keyboard warior tack of calling people or products down. That isnt a positive way to do things.

Ian

I

What are you talking about?? Still acting silly over that last topic you were in or what?

Has anyone actually used the kit??

I've got the kit, but am a bit too bogged down with exams/studying at the moment to work on it (and also need to get some solder to assemble the parts as I wasn't satisfied by my attempts at gluing metal pieces together).

I

What are you talking about?? Still acting silly over that last topic you were in or what?

That's somewhat unnecessary Jeremiah. Keep to the subject matter please.

As discussed with Mr Harvey at the Stafford show, I have an extensive collection of 90's and have been considering for some considerable time improvements both cosmetic and functional to the 90.....so maybe its time I documented them in another thread?

Just to clarify my thread isnt the one Pete mentions further up the thread.

Ian

As discussed with Mr Harvey at the Stafford show, I have an extensive collection of 90's and have been considering for some considerable time improvements both cosmetic and functional to the 90.....so maybe its time I documented them in another thread?

Ian

Ian, yes please. My son is constantly badgering me to start on his; I'm constantly on the look out for a Bachmann 42 chassis and need to make a start, so a thread would be useful ;-)

Archived