PH Designs Class 90 Improvment Set

Pete Harvey

The class 60 buffers are a very close to the freight buffers fitted to the 90's and if the modeller has not got access to a supply of A1 products then they can fit the buffers that came with the model 90% of people would be happy with those if they have no access to an alternative the same can be said for the rubbing plate.

The set is there to improve a kids toy with the least amount of work.

post-6665-0-90230500-1343724426_thumb.jpg

Pete

The replica rubbing plates are the mk1 shape while if you look at Tims pics they are a completely different shape on a 90. Does the Hornby model come with them? Perhaps you could graft the resin part to the original bufferbeam?

A1 models do the chopped oleo buffer

Hth

Jim

I scratchbuilt my rubbing plates from plasticard and brass rod/tube, it took about half an hour to shape the bits, no biggy really. I also shaped my clipped buffers from large oleo ones with a file as I feel the A1 buffers have too much clipped off. Whether they do or not I have no idea they just look like they do to me.

Nice work on the remodel of the the etch btw Pete, well done.

Cav

Guest jim s-w

Its not a big deal for some of us, no, but it wouldn't have been a big deal to include a new face on the etch either would it?

Jim

• RMweb Gold

I already said i dont know class 90 all that well Pete. However you appear to have researched one to produce parts and are claiming that you dont know them either. Thats a bit of an odd thing to say really if i am honest.

Jim

i dont think pete has actually said he doesn't know them, just that someone who knows 90s better than him had ok'd the etch

possibly researched the same way the class 172 etches pete did for me which were measured and photographed by myself as i had unrestricted access to the real thing at a spot where i could stand there with a tape measure and camera at my own leisure, something which im 99% sure pete is unable to do as he has no PTS etc. I then ok'd the etches myself as "fit for purpose" knowing full well there would have to be compromises compared to the real thing to enable me to fit them to the model

one thing is for sure that when pete produces an etch you can guarentee one of the major players will announce they are releasing an updated version of the model (class 67 kit for example!!)

Guest jim s-w

I dont agree Jim

Any designer needs to understand what they are designing at least as much as the client does. All info supplied needs to be checked and double checked and as such the designer often ends up with a better understanding than the client.

Like you say theres often compromises so while the client knows what they want part of the design process includes why they dont get exactly what they always want. Again a better understanding being communicated from the designer to the client.

Cheers

Jim

Not my cup of tea because it is far too "new railway" for me, but well done Pete for your efforts to transform the Hornby offering. Because I am not into stuff post 1970s I always thought the horby moulding wan't too bad, but your transformation is amazing.

Now about the resin replacement class 24 and class 25 cabs for the Bachmann type twos ...............................................

Guest jim s-w

Hi Pete

Will you be making the ETH bits available on their own? I can see quite a market for them, especially if you do bulk packs too?

Cheers

Jim

I have a question, are the cab side windows on the Hornby 90 the wrong size, and does the etch correct the problem? Only asking as if you compair the res livery on the model to the real thing, the models flashes of light blue cover one of the bodyside grills, on the model it doesn`t. The dark grey upper band is the depth of the cabside window on both. So is it the windows too deep or the grills on the bodyside not deep enough?

Hello to everyone I will answer the question as they were asked if I may.

Jim

I will consider offering the ETH connectors as a separate item in the future.

Cheesysmith

The Hornby window apertures are ok when scaled down from 1:1, it depend how big a difference you feel .05mm is @ 1:76th scale (3.8mm @ 1:1) and the frames are not fitted parallel to the cab side as they lean in several of the pictures posted earlier in the thread show this, the Hornby glazing is far too thick the only parts you would need to keep from the Hornby model are the cab door glazing as this is ok and is used to hold the false cab interior in place.

As Jim has mentioned the side grills are the wrong size in height top to bottom more than anything and having them solid does not help, but they have good detail and will give a lot of problems I feel to replace to the same standard.

As for using a livery to gauge weather part is right or wrong, I would not rely on that as each loco can be painted in the same livery, the positioning of that livery will never be exactly the same on each loco, I looked for pictures of 90028 on the internet and found one before I painted the model and I could not find pictures of any two EWS class 90's that had the same width gold stripe on them, so I had to place it so I was happy on the model a compromise.

Dan

I should have the class 90 set on the web site in time for the start of September at the latest but hopefully before then.

I hope this helps you all.

Pete

the new grill does look better, although I stick with my thought that its a shame that theres no kit (other than the Hurst kit when availiable) to replace the awful pantograph that comes with Hornbys' 90

NL

Are the Hornby Class 87 Brecknell Willis pantographs available as spares? These are a vast improvement over the older pans we know and hate from the ageing Class 86/90.

Only posted that due to noticing the difference between 90018 photo in res and compairing it to the Hornby model of the same loco. Even I`m not daft enough to use livery as a reference to incorrect dimentions, just asking if there was a discrepancy.

Are the Hornby Class 87 Brecknell Willis pantographs available as spares? These are a vast improvement over the older pans we know and hate from the ageing Class 86/90.

Hi- Stuart

Sadly I dont think they are, theyre an improvment but still very "thin" looking IMO, if someone would make a more scale kit itd sell well, you can scratch build but a kit would be nice to save time getting dimensions etc

NL

Archived