PH Designs Class 90 Improvment Set

Pete Harvey

• RMweb Premium

Interesting product, this.

The window frames look good, but the lights frames, as mentioned above, stand too proud.

However, what's more of a concern to me - and what probably puts me off unless as seems to be suggested in the posts above these are not the final production versions - is the faring below the buffer beam. Most obviously it lacks the void underneath the bb. But the shape seems wrong in every plane, as the photos above show. The slope is too steep at the front of the sides - it should run parallel to an imaginary extension of the rear edge of the yellow ends; the radius of the curve across the front of the loco looks too large; the unit as a whole is too wide, meaning that there is little outward flare to meet the cabsides; finally, it's too square at the corners, not following the shape of the nose. All the photos above show these flaws.

This lets the whole thing down for me rather badly I'm afraid. Not up to the standard of what I've seen of PHD products (that's meant as a compliment, if slightly back-handed).

I hope this is constructive criticism and can help improve the product.

As has been said before in this thread this product is to improve the very old Hornby model not to correct the faults with it, in a way that any skill level of modeller can use.

Hopefully as mentioned earlier Hornby will produce an new Class 90.

Pete

• RMweb Premium

I'm confused:

your photo at the beginning of this thread shows that the resin faring simply plugs inside the body, necessitating the removal of the front part of the Hornby underframe, and I guess some minimum shaping work inside the body.

My confusion, then, in the light of your last comment, is how would fitting a correctly shaped faring pose any more difficulty than fitting your incorrectly shaped one to the "any skill level of modeller" that you mention?

That's incoherent.

You say that you only want to improve not correct, in which case why bother counting slats on the grille (the original number would have improved the Hornby model - your claimed objective - yet you made a very tiny adjustment in order to make it correct), when a couple of millimetres away you allow this misshapen resin oddity to go unaltered?

Again, incoherent.

I'm beginning to understand Andy Y's frustration earlier in the thread.

Guest jim s-w

Hi daddyman

I assume the fairing needs grafting to the underframe as the front of the frame controls the bogie position. Simply hacking the front off and gluing the fairing to the body means the bogies mounting is affected.

I notice that the rear face of the fairing is flat and theres not a lot of room between it and the bogie. What sort of curves can the loco negotiate with the fairings fitted Pete?

Cheers

Jim

• 2 weeks later...

That looks pretty good! :happy_mini: I must say the brass window surrounds make the model look much better, Pete have you considered doing a Class 92 kit?? Since Hornby now have 3 in their range. A kit with window frames, horns, Channel Tunnel Portals, Buffer beam detail & wipers would be quite nice! It would be good to have everything in one package instead of buying bits n pieces from all over :no2:

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

An excellent kit Pete!

To all the people who are critisising your excellent kit have to take in to consideration if they can do it better then they can do there own one. Yes I understand some Is constructive criticism but it looks loads better than the origional class 90. I will be ordering one!

Guest jim s-w

Thats the plan, yes. :) assuming the Bachmann one isnt out by the time we need them for tring that is.

To be fair to Pete though he has clearly stated what his criterior for the bits were and who they are aimed at. We will just need something different

Jim

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Archived