Semaphore Signals - 4mm Scale (Mainly)

20 hours ago, Steve Hewitt said:

Hi Dave,

The Westinghouse ground signals are designed to be operated by a "Push/Pull"  wire from below the baseboard.

This is usually a servo motor, but no reason why a wire in tube system shouldn't work.

Just be aware, the 3D printed signal body is quite delicate, so the manual operation should incorporate something to prevent exerting too much Push or Pull:excl::o

The 3D prints are available from Les Green's shop on Shapeways - see:  https://www.shapeways.com/shops/railway-odds-and-ends?li=pb

The printed signal incorporates the holes for the Optical Fibre to pass through. It is made for 0.5mm (.020 in.) for fibres.

The fibre is obtainable from Circuitron -the makers of Tortoise point motors.

The etched moving parts - Disc, Lever, Blinder are from the MSE kit.

I hope this info. is helpful.

Good luck with building the signals.

Get in touch again if I can help in any way.

Steve.

That's great steve thanks- I think this will be a good project for my layout that will add a lot.  Ive really noticed the diference with working signals- and the realities brought about by trying to drive to them!  Foreshortening on the model means that Ive got only representative home signals but I get plenty of SPADs!

• RMweb Gold

Just to give others hope, I have built MSE SR ground signals operated by servos and Megapoints control system, although without the added finesse of lighting, that was a bridge too far for me. It is do-able but they are damn fiddly though.

My next ones will be the Palatine LMS variety, kindly aided by Steve's build earlier in the thread.

Mike.

• RMweb Gold
On 21/01/2020 at 09:08, RailWest said:

>>>If by "the OP" you mean me...

Not really, given that the thread was started by Steve, who also posted the photos of the signals in question. But if, as you say, you ".. rely upon pictures and reference books to deduce what might be 'right'...", then it seemed reasonable IMHO to presume that you had found a SR example of 'small' arms used in the configuration shown by Steve. My apologies if I was mistaken.

>>>where does one find the "SR paint scheme"? 

I'll try and find the relevant references to post here in due course - unless someone beats me to it :-)

[EDIT]

Variously:-

1. http://www.semgonline.com/proto/sthnpaint.html

2. HMRS Livery Register No 3: LSWR & Southern (signals were Section 7 in the original edition, but I do not have the revised edition)

3. "Southern Nouveau and the Lineside" Irwell Press 2017  page 372

Thanks for the various references  - in fact I have both of the books referred to AND the new HMRS LSWR livery volume, I guess that it just hadn't occurred to me that any of the three would cover signal liveries - naive perhaps, but there you go!

Having consulted these and also taken advice from a former SR signalman through the kind offices of a mutual friend, I think that Steve and I have now resolved the various issues that both RailWest and The Stationmaster raised - so I'd like to thank them for pointing those things out.

Hopefully, signal construction for Churminster can now proceed to a successful conclusion!

Tony

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Here's a very strong vote for servo control. I have just ventured into this using the megapoints equipment. It's first rate and excellent support from Dave at megapoints. I have tried wire in tube signal control in the past but I found it very fiddly to get it working properly, in particular getting the arm exactly horizontal when at danger. But with the servos and the megapoints control board you get very fine adjustment and a great bounce effect. I found it super easy to setup and now would not use any other system.

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold
On 07/02/2020 at 08:53, ikcdab said:

Here's a very strong vote for servo control. I have just ventured into this using the megapoints equipment. It's first rate and excellent support from Dave at megapoints. I have tried wire in tube signal control in the past but I found it very fiddly to get it working properly, in particular getting the arm exactly horizontal when at danger. But with the servos and the megapoints control board you get very fine adjustment and a great bounce effect. I found it super easy to setup and now would not use any other system.

Another recommendation for MegaPoints from me too. The plug in and play element means no soldering in awkward places. Not an inexpensive means of control but you get what you pay for.

• Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
On 16/02/2020 at 13:39, Rowsley17D said:

Another recommendation for MegaPoints from me too. The plug in and play element means no soldering in awkward places. Not an inexpensive means of control but you get what you pay for.

And i should also say that Dave Megapoints is extremely helpful and will go out of his way to make sure things work for you.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Gold

Come for a chat......

This coming weekend I'll be demonstrating, with Les Green, at the Preston Exhibition.

Why not come along for a chat.

I'll have a number of my recent builds for you to examine and play with, controlled by GF Controls Dual and 8-Way signal controllers. (Still the easiest to install and adjust).

Hope to see you there........

Steve.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
10 hours ago, twiggy1969 said:

what makes it easier than the megerpoints board?

Probably all the button pressing, but I don't think Steve's thread on signals is the place for a discussion on the merits of various servo control methods (says he who mentioned it a couple of posts ago.)

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
17 hours ago, twiggy1969 said:

what makes it easier than the megerpoints board?

Thanks Rowsley and Mike, you've hit it on the head.

The GF Controller has simple slide switch (called the Safe Mode) which sets the servos to mid position. i.e. Bandwidth 1.5msec.

In this position the servos are "locked" and cannot be adjusted or operated.

I assemble my signals so that the arms are in "mid position" when Safe Mode is selected.

Once installed on the layout, it is necessary to switch the Safe Mode OFF, and then adjust each Signal Arm to its correct position "ON" or "OFF" according to how the control system is set. The control system can be as simple as an On/Off switch or any equivalent.

The first minute of this video shows this quite clearly:

I can't think of any way to make it easier than this.

Steve.

• Like 4
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

8 hours ago, Rowsley17D said:

Probably all the button pressing, but I don't think Steve's thread on signals is the place for a discussion on the merits of various servo control methods (says he who mentioned it a couple of posts ago.)

was just asking due to the claim that its the easiest to install and adjust. I found the megerpoints very simple and having set up 50 plus signals and ground signals with no problems at all. With every thing on the board so no extra setting board required. 

So i was asking as if theres a better solution out there as im interested in anything to make my life easier when i do commissions and making things idiot proof for when the client takes delivery    

• RMweb Gold
On 28/02/2020 at 17:38, twiggy1969 said:

was just asking due to the claim that its the easiest to install and adjust. I found the megerpoints very simple and having set up 50 plus signals and ground signals with no problems at all. With every thing on the board so no extra setting board required. 

So i was asking as if theres a better solution out there as im interested in anything to make my life easier when i do commissions and making things idiot proof for when the client takes delivery    

Hi Twiggy,

The only real way to be sure would be for you to try a GF Dual controller yourself.

If you buy one and find it doesn't meet your requirements, I'll buy it off you.

Steve.

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

We use the GF controllers on our exhibition layout Bournemouth West, I use them on my home layout as well. Ive tried other systems and IMHO nothing - and I mean nothing - comes close to the GF units in terms of both ease of setup and reliability. No connection just a very satisfied customer.

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Churminster semaphore signals - almost ready..........

I'm sorry for neglecting my posts on RMweb recently, but I haven't been completely idle.

Below are the first four signals, mounted on their Transport & Test board.

P1040494.JPG.a554da192d3a4520d7f6af6d76272ce7.JPG

The arms are "all over the place" because the  GF  servo controllers have been set to "Safe", which moves the servos to mid-position and locks them there.

These are the remaining five signals, including the two Westinghouse ground discs which were discussed earlier.P1040473.JPG.42f5b7627cb6c6c03096e52d70a65120.JPG

I've taken a few video shots of the signals under test which I hope to edit together fairly soon.

Steve.

• Like 8
  • Craftsmanship/clever 11

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold
On 10/03/2020 at 17:58, Steve Hewitt said:

I've taken a few video shots of the signals under test which I hope to edit together fairly soon.

Steve.

And here it is.......

Steve.

Edited by Steve Hewitt
Replaced Video.
  • Like 2
  • Craftsmanship/clever 3

They do look nice in operation. However at 4:55 I have never seen a subsidiary arm like that at an ex-LS&WR location.

Is there a track plan of the layout anywhere please so that we can understand the signals better ?