3 hours ago, Steve Hewitt said:

Hello Tim,

I can help with the following:

4MM66 x 1  9ft brit.

4MM63 x 2  27ft lattice post. 

4MM64 x 3  23ft lattice post. 

4MM62 x 1  36ft lattice post. 

4MM84 x 1  SR brkt kit.

MSE do a taller lattice post at about 45ft as well as most of the parts you will need for that tall bracket signal in the photo.

If you want to buy any of the above please get I  touch by a personal message. 

Steve .

Thanks Steve, PM to follow shortly.

Tim.

6 hours ago, Stephen Freeman said:

Stunning model, I can't help with the kits though I do have a spare 4MM66.

Thanks for the comment Stephen.  Steve Hewitt also has a 4MM66 and a 4MM84 and possibly more  items needed so I'll pursue things with him.  But thank you so much for responding.

Tim.

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Another GWR Bracket Signal for Acton Wells .............

A little more compact than the cantilevered bracket, but broadly similar in design, this signal again has three dolls with a Stop arm on each which are stepped down from left to right.

The two tallest dolls also have a fixed distant arm.

My construction sequence has been a little different this time in as much as I have built and painted several major sub-assemblies prior to final assembly and installing the operating wires etc.

The main structure uses a modified MSE bracket etch.

1404161894_2021-07-2820_39_33.jpg.8b70f3901006ca9663a1fcac9988c403.jpg

Theere are sockets for each doll built in between the trimmers.

1219663878_2021-07-2820_41_31.jpg.b599debab4bf76e2d29db5ea4c681431.jpg

You can also see the two cranks which will link the operating wires to the weight bars for the two dolls along the bracket.

Each doll has been completed and is ready to install in its socket.

1345855982_2021-07-2820_38_17.jpg.3e47a89fc69d94e7d86ab4f559ad5119.jpg

In addition I have prepared the ladders which will give access to the upper arms of the two tallest dolls.

330383852_2021-07-2820_38_42.jpg.3a3a84db71242bf9fed21f824403a326.jpg

Next steps will be installing the dolls and completing the optical fibre/LED assembly.

Then its on with the operating wires......

Steve.

Edited by Steve Hewitt
Spelling correction.
  • Like 7
  • Craftsmanship/clever 5

• RMweb Premium
24 minutes ago, Steve Hewitt said:

Another GWR Bracket Signal for Acton Wells .............

A little more compact than the cantilevered bracket, but broadly similar in design, this signal again has three dolls with a Stop arm on each which are stepped down from left to right.

The two tallest dolls also have a fixed distant arm.

My construction sequence has been a little different this time in as much as I have built and painted several major sub-assemblies prior to final assembly and installing the operating wires etc.

The main structure uses a modified MSE bracket etch.

1404161894_2021-07-2820_39_33.jpg.8b70f3901006ca9663a1fcac9988c403.jpg

Theere are sockets for each doll built in between the trimmers.

1219663878_2021-07-2820_41_31.jpg.b599debab4bf76e2d29db5ea4c681431.jpg

You can also see the two cracks which will link the operating wires to the weight bars for the two dolls along the bracket.

Each doll has been completed and is ready to install in its socket.

1345855982_2021-07-2820_38_17.jpg.3e47a89fc69d94e7d86ab4f559ad5119.jpg

In addition I have prepared the ladders which will give access to the upper arms of the two tallest dolls.

330383852_2021-07-2820_38_42.jpg.3a3a84db71242bf9fed21f824403a326.jpg

Next steps will be installing the dolls and completing the optical fibre/LED assembly.

Then its on with the operating wires......

Steve.

Looks good Steve. I'm sure you will have this in hand but don't forget that the lamps for the fixed distants will  have yellow lenses.

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Gold

Very nice, I wish you success. 
I assume that the relevant arm will be controlled separately and electrically linked (rather than use the balance rods to push it off).

Paul.

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Yes indeed Paul.

Pushing the arm OFF isn't the problem particularly.

Its getting it to fall back to ON, as gravity doesn't scale very well.

The arm will have its own servo, but the control system will ensure that the arm moves to OFF whenever any one Route is displayed.

Steve.

• Like 6
  • Agree 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

On 28/09/2021 at 00:20, Steve Hewitt said:

Thanks Jon.

Flattery will get you a pint next time you visit your bus.

Its now only about 4 miles from my place.

Let me know when you're coming up north again.

Steve.

Will do. Probably towards the end of October now:good::drink_mini:

IMG_20210923_124251279_HDR.jpg

• Like 7

• 5 weeks later...

Steve, a question. Is there any particular reason why you use the servo motor that you do? As there are others that appear similar which seem much cheaper.

I ask as I'm building some signals for our club layout and this is virgin territory for me, one done three to go!

Mic

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

In my experience there are servos and there are servos. I thought I could use really small, cheap ones that were on eBay for signals, big mistake. They were noisy and soon packed up. Like most things you gets wot you pays for.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Hi Mic, 

I think Jonathan has answered you quite well.

I'm not sure which servos you are refering to as I have used various models over the years.

I currently favour the 3.7gram Digital versions, which I buy in bulk from China.

The design is similar to the SG90 9g model which has been very popular for a few years.

It is just a bit smaller.

In the larger picture, the cost of a servo is a very small part of the total for a signal.

Certainly not sufficient to compromise performance.

Steve.

• Like 4
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

Jonathan and Steve thanks for such prompt replies and sound advice. I know which route I shall take.

Steve I was in Accrington 6 weeks ago if I had known you live there I would have contacted you for advice. My grandparents lived in Ozzy and Clayton-le-Moors so a bit of a nostalgia trip for me. Drove over from the caravan club site in Bury. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

Hi Steve,

I'm working on new signals for Oldshaw.

I was looking at the fibre optic connection above. It looks different to the one you outlined on page 8 of this topic. Would you mind explaining how you do this or point me in the direction of a previous post (I couldn't find one when I searched) that explains it?

EDIT: ignore my request. I think I found the answer a few pages back with your 3D printed connectors. Always difficult to navigate long threads on RMWeb!

Many thanks,

Guy

Edited by lyneux
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
On 17/12/2021 at 12:00, lyneux said:

Hi Steve,

I'm working on new signals for Oldshaw.

I was looking at the fibre optic connection above. It looks different to the one you outlined on page 8 of this topic. Would you mind explaining how you do this or point me in the direction of a previous post (I couldn't find one when I searched) that explains it?

EDIT: ignore my request. I think I found the answer a few pages back with your 3D printed connectors. Always difficult to navigate long threads on RMWeb!

Many thanks,

Guy

Hi Guy,

What good timing, I was just going to start searching back thru' my Topic to find the explanation for you.

Regards,

Steve.

• 1 month later...

Steve,

A question, if I may, how do you fit the completed signals to the layout? Is the signal(s) a complete unit including the servo units or  are they separate? I find fitting the operating mechanism under the board and attaching the signal operating rods a difficult task so any "secrets" would help!

Thanks,

Chas

• RMweb Gold

Hi Chas,

The signals are seperate from the servos.

The key is the foundation tube - usually 1/2inch dia brass.

This locates the signal in the baseboard where it is retained by friction.

The servos are mounted on a bespoke frame assembled from plywood.

This is also located by the foundation tube.

The operating wires for the signals are terminated in 1/16inch brass tube which fits in the servo horn.

The final fixing of the 1/16th tube on the operating wire is done with the servo set to about mid-throw. (The Safe position on the GF Controllers I use).

The signal arm is set to mid way between On and Off and tube joint soldered.

The servo is then adjusted via the Controller to the correct ON and OFF positions.

Unclipping the 1/16th tube from the horn allows the signal to be pushed up by its Foundation tube for removal.

The relationship between the signal baseplate and the servo frame is critical. This is the thickness of the baseboard.

I assemble the signal on a frame - the Transport and Test Frame - which represents the baseboard thickness as accurately as possible.

The signal will be delivered on its Transport and Test Frame where it can be connected up to its servo control and tested.

I hope all this explains the signal installation process adequately?

Regards,

Steve.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 5

• 3 weeks later...

Excellent workmanship, congratulations.  If you have the skills to do that (and I know I haven't) the ground discs should not be any more of a problem to do.  Maybe more difficult to get two more servos close to those five though.

I think I would be right in saying the way the locking usually worked would mean that indicators operated slightly before rather than simultaneously with the arm?

• RMweb Gold
11 hours ago, Michael Hodgson said:

I think I would be right in saying the way the locking usually worked would mean that indicators operated slightly before rather than simultaneously with the arm?

Shouldn’t do, as the mechanism is similar to a lower distant slot (OR rather than AND, but they didn’t do Boolean logic back then!).

Unless it had been fitted with a lot of slack in it, but you wouldn’t want that as it would make it more difficult to get the arm off properly.

Paul.

• Agree 2
  • Thanks 1