Jump to content

Semaphore Signals - 4mm Scale (Mainly)


Recommended Posts

More for Stowe Magna.......

 

With the bracket signal completed, I've decided to deal with the other signals as a batch.

I have progressed as far as the "static" assemblies:

 

1332269965_2021-04-1916_51_24.jpg.3171e9bd25f34b37503f8d635b5e5440.jpg

I showed the Rail Built post previously when describing its foundations. Here it is ready for cleaning etc. prior to painting.

 

The other three signals are ex-LBSCR square posts with SR Upper Quadrant arms.

201904511_2021-04-1916_51_49.jpg.0cbe5da648aebac522b8d3abd4a992f7.jpg

The posts are 3D Printed by Shapeways - from Les Green's Shop : https://www.shapeways.com/product/P6AYJMKN5/2015-11-05-square-signal-post-v2?optionId=58364585&li=shops as are the Lamp-Bracket-Bearing

These posts are hollow to allow the optical fibre to be concealed.

The other components are from MSE/Wizard, Masokits etc.

 

Just one Westinghouse Ground Disc to add before cleaning, painting and adding the moving parts..........

 

Steve.

 

 

 

  • Like 14
Link to post
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, Rowsley17D said:

Hi Steve, I've used Brian's square posts but how do you fix then to the metal base? Thanks

Hi Jonathan,

 

I'm not sure what "Brian's" square posts are?

Did you mean "Les's" - i.e. what I am using?

 

My method is to make a socket out of brass into which the bottom of the post is a good fit.

This brass socket is turned up to also support the Guide Tubes for the operating wires and has a shoulder or flange to allow it to be fixed immediately below the baseplate.

This ensures that everything is square and vertical.

20210420_153436.jpg.59d83e938fefce31d69b260e9508a92c.jpg

The 3D printed post is turned at the bottom to make a spigot which closely fits the Socket.

I use Super Glue to finally fix the post in place.

This photo shows the Brass Socket soldered into the baseplate.

The Guide Tube (1/16in Brass tube) can be seen adjacent to it.

 

I hope this answers your question.

 

Steve.

 

  • Like 7
  • Informative/Useful 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

  • RMweb Gold
14 hours ago, Steve Hewitt said:

Hi Jonathan,

 

I'm not sure what "Brian's" square posts are?

Did you mean "Les's" - i.e. what I am using?

 

My method is to make a socket out of brass into which the bottom of the post is a good fit.

This brass socket is turned up to also support the Guide Tubes for the operating wires and has a shoulder or flange to allow it to be fixed immediately below the baseplate.

This ensures that everything is square and vertical.

 

The 3D printed post is turned at the bottom to make a spigot which closely fits the Socket.

I use Super Glue to finally fix the post in place.

This photo shows the Brass Socket soldered into the baseplate.

The Guide Tube (1/16in Brass tube) can be seen adjacent to it.

 

I hope this answers your question.

 

Steve.

 

 

Thanks, Steve. I meant Les, I don't know where Brian came from. Brain in a bit of fog since an op last week is my excuse. I never thought about turning a spigot but I would have to use a drill as I haven't a lathe but it would give the glue more surface to grip.

  • Informative/Useful 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

  • RMweb Gold

Having made working models of MSE's Midland ground signals but shied away from getting the weight bar working, I am much in admiration.

  • Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

And finally ??.................

 

Tony has requested an additional signal for Churminster & Stowe Magna.

This is a Rail Built Bracket with the two Starters for the little terminus at the Aerodrome.

 

1512029314_2021-05-1912_55_39.jpg.71822afa004ccef4e6618f4fd47c9e56.jpg

 

1404098930_2021-05-1912_55_58.jpg.1488b8cf20f78d526745837f9e145ec7.jpg

 

152410420_2021-05-1912_56_09.jpg.3cff27790d6bbbd30bf06dd770c4b5a1.jpg

 

1217745035_2021-05-1913_01_12.jpg.e1c6c374031d68ff6a1674b983d77b88.jpg

 

And finally a little video:

 

 

I now have a total of some 16 signals ready for delivery. They vary in size from Ground discs to a bracket with four arms.

Original plans for delivery and installation of the Churminster signals got put back by the first Covid Lockdown.  Let's hope the relaxation of restrictions allow our current plan to proceed in a few week's time.

 

Steve.

  • Like 8
  • Craftsmanship/clever 11
Link to post
Share on other sites

  • 1 month later...
9 hours ago, St Enodoc said:

Very nice Steve. Was the prototype guyed to a retaining wall or something?

Thanks.

 

The design is "free-lance" as the layout is based on a ficticious location.

If it was a real design I'm sure significant Guying would have been necessary, most certainly opposite the bracket.

The layout owner may well add another "tie bar" when he installs the signal, but I don't know the precise details of the site.

 

Steve.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

18 hours ago, The Stationmaster said:

There were 3 doll brackets rather like that which weren't stayed or supported by guy wires but whether they lasted their life without such support being added is arather different matter ;) 

Thanks Mike, 

 

Very helpful as always.

 

Steve.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

On 25/06/2021 at 21:30, Steve Hewitt said:

A Cantilevered bracket for Acton Wells.......

 

This model is located in a very tight part of the railway and consequently requires a large overhang from the main post.

 

993748470_2021-06-1721_00.43_renamed_10249.jpg.7ead27727e259c55b3d69b475ff20cec.jpg

 

This would normally have been a balanced bracket, but sighting requirements demanded this design.

 

The model follows my usual methods, with the main post being 4mm square brass tube, the bracket is a modified MSE etch, the dolls are 3D prints from Les Green's shop on Shapeways.

 

The operating wires are routed up the R.H. side of the main post to three cranks mounted between the trimmers.

 

2011107824_2021-06-1721_01.11_renamed_14207.jpg.bbc7deea70af81b3a6a5fb89aba30c2c.jpg

 

Each of these cranks is conneted to one weight bar:

 

The main doll, which also carries a fixed distant arm.

297199695_2021-06-1721_01.36_renamed_27480.jpg.961513cb1bcd5b699a0cf9edd5584e4c.jpg

 

The second doll with a single arm:

 

1966879954_2021-06-1721_02.10_renamed_8466.jpg.e90ed4409a1f5c7887b2249034eec023.jpg

 

The third doll has a short arm to a goods siding:

 

2029997358_2021-06-1721_02.26_renamed_9238.jpg.33fd3a3dd2864592c7d094e9bd74b647.jpg

 

Each of the arms in turn showing their "Clear" position:

 

773772075_2021-06-1721_02.42_renamed_26237.jpg.765243b9f1f725c3c0b18466a81404d1.jpg

 

1449712175_2021-06-1721_03.02_renamed_5348.jpg.03edb37978ff1a93292403a1c91f8311.jpg

 

1949971788_2021-06-1721_03.21_renamed_8409.jpg.dd52a45015edc7466614905bf8072cd7.jpg

 

I have a few shaky video clips which I'll try to edit together and put on YouTube......

 

Steve.

That's superb Steve. I have to remind myself sometimes how small these 4mm scale signals are in real life!:good:

JF

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

On 01/07/2021 at 21:32, Jon Fitness said:

That's superb Steve. I have to remind myself sometimes how small these 4mm scale signals are in real life!:good:

JF

Thanks Jon,

 

Your 7mm models continue to inspire me.

The new etches you are creating are exquisite, just too large!

 

Steve.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Can anyone help please with parts for some signals on my “Templecombe Lower”?  Richard Dunning has built very fine model signals using parts from MSE and Alan Gibson, some of which show in the attached pictures.  Still to be modelled are those shown in: https://www.pinterest.co.uk/pin/517280707194092351/    Trouble is that kits from AG needed for these 2 pairs of junction signals are not being produced – priorities being elsewhere it seems.  The kit numbers are 4MM84 and 4MM90 (both listed at £20 in the AG online catalogue).  I’m also short of a LSWR bracket - 4MM66 (£3.30).  Has anyone by chance got – or would know where to get – unwanted purchases of these kits?  I would of course refund the list price and any other expenses.

              The extras to get the signals operating are already in place.  I’ve connected those already built using MSE’s “Retford” mounts (so can be easily removed for transportation).  GF Controls operate them and they are programmed into route setting using Big Bear software.  All this is also ready for the junction signals in readiness for the kits being located.

              The junction signals really are crucial to many key movements and are a frustrating omission when so much else is complete.  Many thanks in anticipation.

Tim.

P1000303m1cw.jpg

P1000320m1cw.jpg

P1000328m1cw.jpg

  • Like 11
Link to post
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, tingleytim said:

Can anyone help please with parts for some signals on my “Templecombe Lower”?  Richard Dunning has built very fine model signals using parts from MSE and Alan Gibson, some of which show in the attached pictures.  Still to be modelled are those shown in: https://www.pinterest.co.uk/pin/517280707194092351/    Trouble is that kits from AG needed for these 2 pairs of junction signals are not being produced – priorities being elsewhere it seems.  The kit numbers are 4MM84 and 4MM90 (both listed at £20 in the AG online catalogue).  I’m also short of a LSWR bracket - 4MM66 (£3.30).  Has anyone by chance got – or would know where to get – unwanted purchases of these kits?  I would of course refund the list price and any other expenses.

              The extras to get the signals operating are already in place.  I’ve connected those already built using MSE’s “Retford” mounts (so can be easily removed for transportation).  GF Controls operate them and they are programmed into route setting using Big Bear software.  All this is also ready for the junction signals in readiness for the kits being located.

              The junction signals really are crucial to many key movements and are a frustrating omission when so much else is complete.  Many thanks in anticipation.

Tim.

P1000303m1cw.jpg

P1000320m1cw.jpg

P1000328m1cw.jpg

Stunning model, I can't help with the kits though I do have a spare 4MM66.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

Hello Tim,

I can help with the following:

4MM66 x 1  9ft brit.

4MM63 x 2  27ft lattice post. 

4MM64 x 3  23ft lattice post. 

4MM62 x 1  36ft lattice post. 

4MM84 x 1  SR brkt kit.

 

MSE do a taller lattice post at about 45ft as well as most of the parts you will need for that tall bracket signal in the photo.

 

If you want to buy any of the above please get I  touch by a personal message. 

 

Steve .

 

Edited by Steve Hewitt
Spelling error
Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...