Queens, Rivers and Stellas!

For a GW terminus without a turntable, try Pwllheli.

Its turntable has already been mentioned in this thread - but it was not installed until the third shed complex was built - commissioned in 1959 (and became redundant in 1966 ...)

I have yet to see evidence of a GW / WR service (as opposed to the LM services running in via Afon Wen) running anything other than smokebox first into or out of Pwllheli - whether tender or tank loco.

The nearest turntable was at Afon Wen, so I can only presume that engines ran there to turn until the table there was removed - hopefully this was synchronised with the introduction of the Pwllheli one.

The nearest turntable was at Afon Wen, so I can only presume that engines ran there to turn until the table there was removed - hopefully this was synchronised with the introduction of the Pwllheli one.

I think it was usual to turn engines at the Barmouth Junction ('Morfa Mawddach' prior to June 1960) triangle.

• RMweb Gold

I think it was usual to turn engines at the Barmouth Junction ('Morfa Mawddach' prior to June 1960) triangle.

Morfa Mawddach was a bit far to go just to turn an engine. It was used to turn engines of trains terminating at Barmouth especially post grouping when GWR engines ran through Dolgellau, although it would have been used somewhat beforehand ( the Cambrian used tank engines on a lot of the Dolgellau-Barmouth trains).

Don

Queen's

Your 1907 date is really the end for the class in any numbers.

In 1906 1130 was allocated to Fairford for use on the branch to Oxford. It shared the branch duties with 1125/8/9 allocated to Oxford at the time. There was a turntable installed at Fairford but I do not know when. Originally a 45ft replaced by a 55ft later on.

By May 1907 only two remained in traffic 1124/8.

1124 was a Fairford engine again working the branch, joined by another 2-2-2 no 165, a Cobham class.

Mike Wiltshire

• 8 years later...
On 31/07/2012 at 12:19, wenlock said:

If the engine shed is removed, any bright ideas as to what this spur of the loop could have been used for?

OK, almost 9 years late...  only now do I understand your thinking.

My suggestion is that the spur could be the place where the Concertina double slip is held overnight whilst awaiting the first PN bound service on the next day (or over the weekend for the Friday arrival).

regards, Graham

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
5 minutes ago, Western Star said:

OK, almost 9 years late...  only now do I understand your thinking.

regards, Graham

Now that's what I call a considered opinion!

BW

Dave

• Funny 1