Towcester

Nobby (John)

Hello

I have now finished ballasting the track and used  static grass along the dis-used track at the back to make it compatible with the original adjacent board. I have also painted the clouds to match the excellent ones done previously by the 'cloud lady'. They are not quite as good as hers but they will hopefully suffice till she can come over in the summer to finish them off. Today is trees, bushes and flowers day then I will build a small corrugated barn to go in the field to help break up the foreground a bit. Also apply a bit of rust to the river bridge. I hope John is enjoying his holiday in Portugal. Next weekend we will set up the whole layout, fit the extended curtain, fix the modified lighting rig and then watch a couple of trains travel over the length of the layout. Can't wait.

Cheers

George

• Like 4

Hello

A big thank-you to Richard for his help his afternoon. Layout is now all complete with new board safely installed, the lights all changed and re-positioned, and the extended curtain fitted in place. Also a couple o minor wiring repairs done and a faulty Dapol semaphore re-placed. Looking forward to Milton Keynes and hope to see some of you there. Next show after that is Nottingham in March.

Cheers

George

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

A good exhibition needs one or two 'flagship' layouts to bring in visitors- I'm glad that MK managed to get Towcester.

Derek, what have you done?

We'll never hear the last of that accolade....................

:haha:

• Like 2

Hello

You are all so kind, thank-you, thank-you on behalf of John. Richard and I.

Cheers

George

• Like 1

Hello

Sadly the class 24 in the picture will not feature at exhibitions; it is part of the stock of our new layout 'Fenchurch St Peter'. Towcester is set in 1977 and they were mostly gone by then, certainly in the Midland region. It was just making a guest appearance for testing purposes though we did run a Cravens unit and a Cl25 as well. Not for long as we had to take it all down so my wife could have her sitting room back.

Cheers

George

George

If I may observe on this hallowed thread that I could never understand this line of thinking.

Would it not be realistic to suppose that if Towcester had remained open (and by extension many other similar lines would have escaped marple's attention) that many of these locomotives would not have been scrapped when they were?

Just a thought.

Hello

Sadly the class 24 in the picture will not feature at exhibitions; it is part of the stock of our new layout 'Fenchurch St Peter'. Towcester is set in 1977 and they were mostly gone by then, certainly in the Midland region. It was just making a guest appearance for testing purposes though we did run a Cravens unit and a Cl25 as well. Not for long as we had to take it all down so my wife could have her sitting room back.

Cheers

George

Hello

When I play the game of 'what if' Derek I think it is sufficient to only alter one thread of history otherwise life gets so complicated. therefore as Towcester is set in 1977 then we are well into the realm of BR Banger Blue which though not to every-one's liking has a large following and also encompasses a lot of different locomotive and DMU classes. That is the problem with time travel if you change one small to effect a minor change in history them all else changes as well. A bit like the butterfly in the forest really. My life is so full of chaos that I prefer to leave most of it alone. There now, an end to philosophical ramblings and time for a lie down in a dark room.

Cheers

George   

• Like 3

There's nothing wrong with blue. Indeed, you are probably quite wise to avoid green as it inevitably leads to arguments about no yellow/ small yellow/ large yellow.

I suppose there are countless reasons why people would or would not do something; either way I'm sure this extension will be a good crowd puller at MK.

• RMweb Premium

Hello

My solicitors will be in touch Mick.........

Cheers

George 

No win, no fee......?

• 2 weeks later...

How did it go today?

Was hoping to get over to MK to see "Towcester" but other matters intervened.

Was going to ask how much you compressed the layout by and how you decided what should "go".
One day I hope to see it in the flesh.

Hello

It went fine yesterday, huge amount of interest in the layout. This has to be one of the busiest one day shows in the country. My pleasure was marred slightly by spraining my ankle quite badly while we wew unloading in the morning but Simon and Richard worked like Trojans to help the useless old man out in his hour of pain. It is a lot better this morning. The new board makes the layout much more believable, a greater sense of space. Everything seemed to work well except for a couple of minor glitches which were soon sorted. The layout has obviously been compressed to a certain extent with most of the sidings not being there but we explain that away as a process of rationalization, after all the layout is set in 1977 and the real Towcester closed in 1966. However we like to think that we have made a fairly accurate job of re-creating this long gone railway centre. If you want to see it later this year it will be back in Milton Keynes in August at the other show held there. It will also be at a show in Lutterworth in May. Both of these are near to you. Hope to see you sometime.

Cheers

George

• Like 2