GN Ivatt Self trimming Tender

I am building a London Road Models GN J6 etched brass kit (Ex George Norton) and am having great difficulty with the inside front part of the tender. Instructions are not clear on how the numerous parts fit together, an exploded diagram is really necessary. Has anyone built one of these tenders and could give advice, preferably photos of the top and front of tender?

Thank you,

Mike

PM LNWR Modeller he maybe able to help

Regrettably I can't. I've never built one of the GNR tenders so don't know much about them.

The proprietor of LRM is on holiday with his family at present (inconsiderate I know, but that's life), so I can't get in touch with him either.

Have you tried asking on the LNER Forum http://www.lner.info/forums/viewforum.php?f=3&sid=621bcaa4eb1a99bd00671ea75c8b553e

Many thanks for help and advice. The photos are helpful so I will have another go at putting the tender together over the weekend. Bending the parts is quite difficult as the brass is extremely hard. I will have to find a gas flame for softening.

Cheers,

Mike

Many thanks for help and advice. The photos are helpful so I will have another go at putting the tender together over the weekend. Bending the parts is quite difficult as the brass is extremely hard. I will have to find a gas flame for softening.

Cheers,

Mike

Hi Mike,

better too hard and can be annealed than too soft. Running a triangular file down the half etch fold lines to deepen/widen them a bit will also help.

I've found another photo of that tender, taken from the other side, which may also help. post-1191-0-69352400-1343998220.jpg

I've just obtained a new set of etches to build a new loco body (not an LRM kit for once) where the brass was so soft that the edges of the roof and running plate both were repeatedly buckled and distorted during the building process. Add to that a c*ck up of my own with the boiler which only became apparent when it was painted and the only option was to start again. I'll find some way of beefing up the vunerable bits on the new build.

Jol

It isn't the half etched fold lines that causes a problem as I do deepen with a file. The problem is bending items such as the narrow tender top flares which have to be curved lengthwise. I agree that brass that is too soft is not suitable and hard brass can be annealed.

Cheers,

Mike

Archived