Woodhead electrics!

40 058

Hi Dan,

That looks really superb, well done!

Like many others, I admire the Woodhead route and was sorely tempted when the RTR electrics were announced (but resisted, for once!) but now I can happily admire yours!

Lovely work scratchbuilding/kitbashing the ohle, btw I've heard that using clear fine fishing type line is one way of tethering the pantos into a just below the wires setting. Although I think the chap concerned obtained his line from a dentist!

Cheers,

John E.

Thanks for the replys!

Dave, good to see someone else going electric! Put up some pics of your ole. Id be interested to see it.

John, interesting idea with the fishing line. Ill definatly look into this. I want to do it in such a way that the pantos arent permanantly soldered or glued in position, this sounds just the job!

A couple more pics!

SAM_1842.jpg

A brand new 56 moves off the diesel fuel point, ready for its next turn of duty.

SAM_1830.jpg

Another pair of 76s, this time with a train of domestic coal.

I think ill have to get these weathered up soon, they look far to clean!

• Like 16

Guest bri.s

by what ive just seen could well be my favorite layout on here its got everything i like 76's in blue and coal trains love the ole more pics please, have you got a track plan. awesome stuff keep the posts coming .

Thanks guys!

Ill try to get a pic of the track plan up sometime soon.

SAM_1826.jpg

Another shot of the wires and one of the larger style portals, made from brass section and modified somerfeldt parts.

SAM_1831.jpg

The mgr train again! Ive just ordered another rake of the HAA hoppers to make a loaded and an empty train! along with more 16 tonners to make a short scrap metal train.

The mgr train isnt actually scale length however! I have roughly half size mgr sets, just enough to make a good representation.

I will try to get some more pics this weekend, hopefully with a better camera this time!

Edited by 40 058
  • Like 11

I have to say that despite my reservations about Heljan's execution of the 76 (not to mention the price but let's not get into that again!!!) it really does look very convincing indeed, especially the overhead. Looking forward to seeing more photo's of it especially when weathered, fading down those primrose roofs. I'm very envious!!

Is there no way you can get the pantograph to touch the wires?, I think it would definitely be worth the effort.

Edited by gronk the shunter

Thanks for the comments guys. Ive not done much for the last few days, ive been re-building the braking system on my mk2 Ford transit van after its been sat unused all year! Bodging sorry, fixing rusty old Fords is another of my hobbies!

Sutton Junction, The ohle isnt that hard to make to be honest. I thought the same, but the best way to do it is just to get some brass and an iron and practice, lots of reference pics from books, flickr etc help too. These are my first real efforts at soldering this sort of thing and mine came out alright! Im no expert when it comes to soldering kits etc so if I can do it anyone can!

The standard type masts are really easy to make up, I had a little production line on the go for these. The only differance being the width depending on where they are for and how many tracks go under them. The bigger style ones are a bit more involving but its still very simple to do.

Dutch_Master, Most of the lines are over the tracks in straight lines, but I still need to build some more masts for the bends so some of the lines are curved slightly just to get the wires up for the time being until I can make the extra masts. Then once these are installed I will straighten the lines, cut them to size and get them hung straight.

Gronk, I may well try to get the pans to touch the wires, it seems a shame not to. It would look so much better too. My only reservation is the pantos themselves dont look all that strong. Im not sure that even with a run in/out section they might bend backwards or snap as they start going down under the wires? Does anyone have any experiance of this with electrics?

Since making the masts and wires is getting a bit boring I decided to have a change and do something about the low relief factorys. I havent ever really liked them, but they filled the gap well. So instead of making a factory or similar I decided to go for something a bit differant but that most electric layouts should have - A substation! The MSW had loads of these with smaller TSC (track section cabins) inbetween them. I will eventually make some 33kv cable and comms cables to run around the tracks, which will then come up in the substation.

It is based loosly on the substation that was at Hadfield, although they were all pretty similar, and has a building, 2 transformers, 2 earthing transformers, 2 oil filled circuit breakers and the 33kv cables and busbars. There arent many photos of these sites, unsuprisingly photographers were there to see the trains not the lineside gubbins. But this is all pretty easy for me to make and work out whats needed as the equiptment is very similar to what I work on in my job as power distribution maintenance fitter!

A few pics and a track diagram will follow soon when I get time.

• Like 1

A quick update, I have made a start on the new substation. The building is done, very easy as its just a simple square box with a lid! Its made from wills brick sheets, scraps of plastic card for the concrete roof and concrete door weather shield and the door is an old one salvaged from my bits box, I think from a Hornby HST shed.

The two transformers are scratch built, again from scraps of plastic card and odd bits from the bits box - never throw anything away! The radiator fins are made from layers of plastic strips, each layer has a thin, narrow strip inbetween to give the affect of a gap between each fin but still being strong enough to handle. The oil conservator (header) tank is made from an old ratio chimney pipe, left over from a kit years ago, again from the bits box!

SAM_1855.jpg

This is how the transformers and switch building will go. The white plastic in the wall behind the transformers will be painted concrete colour, as the transformer feeds pass through insulators on the wall and into the building.

SAM_1857.jpg

This is one of the transformers, the two 'boxes' behind are the two 33kv earthing transformers which sit on a brick plinth with connections to the 33kv busbars.

SAM_1861.jpg

SAM_1862.jpg

Some parkside HTV/HTO wagons on the bench. These are fairly involving to build but look good when they are done.

SAM_1864.jpg

And finally, a track plan for anyone interested.

Once these are done its back to the catenery masts and wires!

• Like 6

Yes the pans are metal with springs to keep them out at max height. Ill give this a go then if you think itll be ok.

I have some spare wires so will use these to make a nice gentle slope in/out, i will bend the ends over to a curve too just incase anything snags. The wires do have a slight stagger built in anyway, but I suppose the model pans are just as likely to wear as real ones when rubbing the contact wire.

The new rake of HAA hoppers arrived today too! Now I can run loaded and empty trains in each direction!

Liking this a lot.

My dad's best mate lived in Wath upon Dearne, the eastern most end of the line. We visted every two weeks or so, and I used to walk down Moor lane, where he lived, to the electric depot at the bottom.

In early days it was all black EM1's, but I DID once see "Tommy" on shed, 26000 himself.

I also saw a Peppercorn A1 at the closed Wath Central station, being scrapped.........sad days.

Guest bri.s

nice plan junction and a station ,what you fancying on passinger trains emu's or dmus mabe a nice class123 would look well,nice to see a substation modelled excellent work keep the reports comming.

bri.s

Guest bri.s

cant belive i forgot em1's on a mixture of green, maroon ,and blue mark 1's you can get away with just engine and 3 coaches

bri.s

Cheers guys!

JeffP, yes, this whole line and the trains on it came to a very sad end. It seems such a short sighted and wastefull thing for BR to do at the time. The EM1 had alot more life left in them yet, im sure they would have long gone by now either way but why they didnt just convert to 25kv ac I dont know? It would certainly of helped out given the new rail plans nowadays. And the EM2s proved to be a very good investment for the Netherlands!

IMHO, Tommy should have made it to the national collection given its importance to the countrys engineering and very early electric traction background. I guess at the time people were more concerned with saving steam from the scrap yard and not diesels or electrics.

bri.s, passenger trains depend on the time frame im running, but for the last years of the route is mainly local services in the form of class 108 or 110 DMUs with the odd diversion thrown in for interest.

In the green pre 1970 days, its EM1s with blue/grey and maroon mk1s, along with (when they are released!) Tommy and EM2s on the same (they are on order!), along with green DMUs. Im sure I was told there were some SR green mk1s used over the line at that time but im not sure if they did or not? It would make a nice varied train with all 3 colours of stock!

The trouble is space in the storage roads, I have far too much stock for it to handle!

Edited by 40 058

• RMweb Premium

Im sure I was told there were some SR green mk1s used over the line at that time but im not sure if they did or not? It would make a nice varied train with all 3 colours of stock!

Hi

On several of the Woodhead videos I have there is definitely a Green coach in the rake.

Cheers

Paul

• Like 1

Had a few runs between Sheffield Victoria and Manchester Piccadilly in 68 and 69 - most definitely remember the 5(ish) coach rakes and the colour combinations, especially the green Mk 1's although I dont recall seeing more than one in a rake.

Great stuff.

On our Engelsdrecht Dutch layout we hand scratch built catenary and had pans touching the wires with no problems. A wide variety of stock was used from Lima to Marklin. All we did at the fiddle yard ends was to raise the wire height so the pans ran out without any issue. Running in similarly produced no problems. It was a gradual transition to full height so you never really noticed.

The layout is sadly long gone but I still have all my stock and the Station Building. It did appear in Continental Modeller at one time.

Paul R

Hi Dan,

Must say, your OHLE is very, very good. In fact, it's the most realistic model form I have seen. I grew up on this route, from steam days through to the full electric services. Lost interest when things went Blue.

My father was plant manager with Balfour Beattie who got the contract for the new tunnel. Was able to go in the pilot tunnel when being drilled, both at Woodhead and Dunford. Later was apprentice at Dukinfield. Metrovicks were installing electric equipment in the locos in the next bay to us and I spent my lunchtime breaks wandering around the workshop.

Although my interest is really in steam, I have an EM 2 and will also obtain an EM 1, purely for nostalgic reasons. The "powers that be" made some awful decisions about the railways, and one of the most stupid ones was to close the Woodhead route, another one was to hand the tunnel over to the CEGB.

gresley

• Like 6

• 1 month later...

Thanks for the replys.

Its been a while since any updates but things have been done!

The factorys are now gone and replaced by the substation, which is now more or less complete. The bus bars being particularly annoying to make and paint! I think it looks much better than the old factorys and fits in well with the woodhead theme - plus its a bit of an unusual feature.

I bought some more sections and made a few more masts to space the inner curves wires a bit better, now they follow the tracks properly in straight lines. I may do the same on the outer curves too, but they arent as sharp so wont need as much alteration.

And finally I have started modifying one of my vac brake 76s into a vac brake non boiler 76. This one will be staying in standard blue but becoming 76 003, which was one of the non MU fitted ones that lasted to the very end. I plan to do at least one more after this for my 1960s era set, not sure on the number yet but it will be in BR blue with the small yellow panels!

SAM_2079.jpg

The substation in place of the factorys, the space available was a bit cramped but I think it looks the part. Just got to tidy the joint around the base and then make a feeder mast for feeding power to the overhead wires.

SAM_2080.jpg

SAM_2087.jpg

An over view of the whole end of the layout showing the straightened wires on the inner curves and the substation in situ.

SAM_2089.jpg

This is the stripped down shell about to have its boiler panel carved off and smoothed out to become 76 003.

SAM_2091.jpg

The moulding is gone and in the process of being sanded smooth.

If your planning on doing this mod you can do it this way by starting with the vac brake boiler fitted loco or start with the MU fitted version which although the cab fronts/handrails will need modifying is probably the eisier option. As I bought this loco specifically to convert I decided to carry on instead! This was briefly touched on in another thread.

As it is the boiler panel moulding isnt that difficult to carve away but the loco will need a full bodyside respray afterwards. Using a new blade and being very very careful it comes away without destroying any of the surrounding rivit detail that needs to stay. Its just a bit daunting before you start as your taking a knife to an expensive model!

Just a few random pics to finish off.

SAM_2085.jpg

A 37 with a vac braked coal train.

SAM_2084.jpg

40 058 with its one off nose job. The doors were sealed up with a sheet of steel rivited over the top on one end only. One of my favorite 40s (hence my name!) and one I had to model.

• Like 15