Woodhead electrics!

40 058

Guest bri.s

Glad to see an update on your layout ,Ill look forward to more updates

Brian

Edited by bri.s
  • Like 1

• 1 year later...

Just found this thread, really interesting and a great looking setup - are there any more updates or is there a different thread

15 years ago I built a version of the Woodhead Route in Microsoft Train Simulator and reading this has brought all the agonies back of finding information and making it look right

• 3 years later...
On 09/08/2012 at 15:01, 40 058 said:

A quick update, I have made a start on the new substation. The building is done, very easy as its just a simple square box with a lid! Its made from wills brick sheets, scraps of plastic card for the concrete roof and concrete door weather shield and the door is an old one salvaged from my bits box, I think from a Hornby HST shed.

The two transformers are scratch built, again from scraps of plastic card and odd bits from the bits box - never throw anything away! The radiator fins are made from layers of plastic strips, each layer has a thin, narrow strip inbetween to give the affect of a gap between each fin but still being strong enough to handle. The oil conservator (header) tank is made from an old ratio chimney pipe, left over from a kit years ago, again from the bits box!

SAM_1855.jpg

This is how the transformers and switch building will go. The white plastic in the wall behind the transformers will be painted concrete colour, as the transformer feeds pass through insulators on the wall and into the building.

SAM_1857.jpg

This is one of the transformers, the two 'boxes' behind are the two 33kv earthing transformers which sit on a brick plinth with connections to the 33kv busbars.

SAM_1861.jpg

SAM_1862.jpg

Some parkside HTV/HTO wagons on the bench. These are fairly involving to build but look good when they are done.

SAM_1864.jpg

And finally, a track plan for anyone interested.

Once these are done its back to the catenery masts and wires!

Dan.

Although this layout is no more, I am interested to learn more about how you put the sub station together. Is this an area you have some kind of technical understanding of or did you just build it based on various photographs? I am hoping to build a Woodhead style substation. I have worked out the size of the buildings, but any help you could offer with regards to the layout of the switchgear, or how you built yours would be greatly appreciated.  

Thanks in advance. 

John