Woodhead electrics!

40 058

Nice updates, the substation looks really cool. Is it a kit?

Thanks, no its all scratchbuilt. Building is wills brick sheets and spare plasticard off cuts. Transformers and other 'grey things' are all scratchbuilt from plasticard and styrene sections. The busbars are all made from stripped copper 240v flex soldered together and the supports again are plasticard. All the insulators are spare sommerfeldt ones left over from the ohle and there are a fair few of them! Painting it all was a pain as theres not alot of room for the brush!

• Like 1

What a great layout and capture of the character of the Woodhead and East Manchester. All those quibbles over rivet size, window position etc on the EM1s seem forgotten when you can create scenes like this. Such a characterful line, now the possibilities for modelling it are so much greater. And improving upon the RTR model is also the key - making it your own by carving it up. The sum is greater than the parts - that is my mantra! Look forward to more.

Cheers

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Theres not a great deal in this update but here goes anyway.

Firstly, my conversion of a boiler fitted vac brake only 76 into a vac brake non boiler 76 is progressing.

The blue paint is on and its starting to look a bit better now! Ive changed my mind on the prototype, it will now become class pioneer 76001, which almost made it to the end, being withdrawn in November 1980.

SAM_2158.jpg

SAM_2159.jpg

Clearly a bit more work needed but its getting there.

The next one for the same treetment will become 26002 in small panel blue, for my 1960s era. Like this one http://www.flickr.com/photos/dodger5450/7611959402/

Next, an exercise in brass!

I have started to make one of the large A frame lattice style portals to replace one of the standard types across the end of the station platforms. For me, these structures really set the Woodhead route theme, and so far I havent attempted this style yet.

PICT0215.jpg

This one from near Pennistone is the type im going for, just a little bit wider.

SAM_2162.jpg

SAM_2165.jpg

It certainly takes some doing! Everything is made from individual sections of brass L profile, flat strip and C channel. Its a pretty big structure too.

One thing worth noting when making all these overhead structures, is that there is a huge amount of variation in the prototypes, something ive learnt alot about when making this layout, even though on the face of it they all look the same. Aswell as the length and width of the cross span, some have the V reinforcing section facing the opposite way to how mine are, some have a taller cross span to accomodate a colour light signal, A posts vary in their shape (some are flat on one side and sloping on the other) some very large ones use much thicker C channel uprights than others, theres a mix of catenery hangers with taller structures using the Y type hangers wheras others simply use a round bar underneath the cross span to hold the wires... always worth using photos from the same sort of prototype location as where your modelling.

These things were all built to a standard design but each one was assembled specifically for a certain location, hence the differances.

It looks good in bare brass and solder, but will eventually be sprayed in Halfords grey primer, the same as all the others.

Again, im no expert in soldering or working in brass, but if anyone is contemplating going 'overhead' either DC or AC but think its too hard to get OHLE this is proof that any idiot can do it! Just give it a go on some scraps first!

Hopefully more updates as it gets close to being finished.

Dan

• Like 9

Fantastic work on the overhead catanery. I have just started a small project which is based roughly on the Woodhead line although nearer the Manchester Piccadilly side than yours. One of the biggest questions I was asking myself was how do I get a realistic overhead system. What you have created looks just like the real thing and your right about the variety. When ever I travel on the line I always find myself looking at the overhead equipment as its totally different from other lines. Keep up the fantastic work as I will be following with interest :)

Sutty :)

• Like 1

Hi Dan,

Superb looking layout, I never saw any class 76s back in the day it was one of those places I didn't get too until it was all pretty much gone.

Looking forwards to seeing your class 76 finished and weathered up.

Cheers Peter.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Thanks for the comments.

Not much progress (again!) but just a few shots of the new portal and some pics of 76001 progress.

SAM_2210.jpg

SAM_2212.jpg

SAM_2213.jpg

SAM_2211.jpg

The big A frame portal is about finished, and painted. This is about where it will be going. Im pleased with how it looks and, if nothing else has certainly tought me a bit about soldering!

Next, is 76001, now with its numbers and BR arrows applied.

SAM_2216.jpg

SAM_2214.jpg

The blue strip has been touched in along the bottom of the cab fronts, with Railmatch BR blue. Numbers and arrows are from Modelmasters transfers and data panels from Fox. Just a bit of varnish needed to seal them in once its all dried. Then reassembly.

Heres a loco that is probably a bit far from its Stratford home to be on MSW metals but ive always liked the 31 0's. Ive never seen any pics of one on the MSW route anyway...

SAM_2217.jpg

SAM_2218.jpg

31008, converted from a weathered Hornby 31111. Repainted with Railmatch paints. New front doors added and etched discs.

Thats all for now, more soon hopefully.

Dan.

• Like 14

Hi Dan, layout looks great, really got the feel of Woodhead, shame it's not exhibitable, there could be quite a few Woodhead layouts out there soon.

I know what you mean about the overhead structures, when we were researching Deepcar I borrowed a copy of the original electrification drawings from Sheaf House in Sheffield (BR area HQ at the time) Kinda wished I'd not taken it back, doubt they would need it again as the line had been cut back by then. Pretty much every structure was different, I also photographed each structure with my, at that time, young son underneath to give scale, but I forgot to measure his height at the time, d'oh!

• Like 1

Loved this line, my uncle lived on Moor Road, Wath upon Dearne, the elctric shed was about a quarter of a mile down the road from his house.

We used to visit on a Sunday, I would walk down to the shed, get as much as I could from the bridge, and then on to Wath North on the old LMS line to see the southbound Devonian, usually a Jubilee, sometimes a rare'un, like 45685 "Barfleur" off Barrow Road shed

The next month produced D9 "Snowdon".

I remember being fascinated by the names on the EM1's, but only ever saw ONE EM2.

• Like 1

Thanks guys.

Hi Dan, layout looks great, really got the feel of Woodhead, shame it's not exhibitable, there could be quite a few Woodhead layouts out there soon.

I know what you mean about the overhead structures, when we were researching Deepcar I borrowed a copy of the original electrification drawings from Sheaf House in Sheffield (BR area HQ at the time) Kinda wished I'd not taken it back, doubt they would need it again as the line had been cut back by then. Pretty much every structure was different, I also photographed each structure with my, at that time, young son underneath to give scale, but I forgot to measure his height at the time, d'oh!

Yes, you should have kept the drawings, especially as BR were so rude as to close the line! I wonder if they are still around or if they ended up in the skip after it was all closed?

I must say Deepcar was always a great inspiration for me, a classic layout! I didnt realise it was as old as it is though!

I certainly hope there will be more Woodhead theme layouts around soon. The Heljan model, contraversial as it has been has certainly made things alot easier, even more so when Tommy and the EM2s come out. The major thing is still OHLE though! I cant see it being produced on a large scale by any rtr manufacturers. Hopefully ill be proven wrong!

The portal is excellent really does look the part your work gets better and better I second that its a pity it's not exibitable I'd go and see it

• Like 1

I can't beleave I've missed this layout so far. A lovely job, always nice to see some overhead wires, even if they are the wrong voltage! As for the entrance/exit inverted ski-ramps, just keep the angle as gentle as possible, not like ours -

post-8271-0-50764800-1354525674.jpg

Far too steep, but we just about get away with it! Notice also the springs on the ends to keep the overhead in tension, although not connected in this photo it does help. HTH, Kev.

• Like 4

Just been looking on YouTube and saw a couple of woodhead videos I haven't seen before there not bad don't know if you've seen them but 1s called electrics across the Pennines at about 31 minutes 10 there's passenger train with green ,marroon and blue coaches then there's another one called the woodhead route a documentary and that's not bad either as I said don't know if you seen them but thought they were worth a mention

Bri.s

• Like 1

Thanks guys.

Thanks guys.

Yes, you should have kept the drawings, especially as BR were so rude as to close the line! I wonder if they are still around or if they ended up in the skip after it was all closed?

I must say Deepcar was always a great inspiration for me, a classic layout! I didnt realise it was as old as it is though!

Thanks for the compliment. Yep Deepcar is getting on a bit now, we started it in 1985, had it's first show in '91. We have 'plans' to follow our current project, no electrics on this one, with another Woodhead layout, only problem could be space, it'll be O gauge :jester:

Still we have Graham Clark's rather nice Netherwood Sidings to practice on, just seems odd it's not had any show invites after the first one at Nottingham 2 years ago :scratchhead:

It wouldn't surprise me if the drawings ended up in a skip somewhere, but let's face it much has unfortunately gone that way.

• Like 1

Just been looking on YouTube and saw a couple of woodhead videos I haven't seen before there not bad don't know if you've seen them but 1s called electrics across the Pennines at about 31 minutes 10 there's passenger train with green ,marroon and blue coaches then there's another one called the woodhead route a documentary and that's not bad either as I said don't know if you seen them but thought they were worth a mention

Bri.s

I have 'Electrics across the pennines' on dvd, definatly worth watching. The other two I have is 'The woodhead route' and 'woodhead remembered'. All very good, if your into DC electrics. There is some good footage on them of the em1s and none of them repeat each other either.

I have the Foxline book, 'Woodhead: The electric railway' which again is well worth a look. Loads of information in there and photos of unusual things like the substations, overhead equiptment etc aswell as pics of it all being built.

Thanks for the compliment. Yep Deepcar is getting on a bit now, we started it in 1985, had it's first show in '91. We have 'plans' to follow our current project, no electrics on this one, with another Woodhead layout, only problem could be space, it'll be O gauge :jester:

Still we have Graham Clark's rather nice Netherwood Sidings to practice on, just seems odd it's not had any show invites after the first one at Nottingham 2 years ago :scratchhead:

It wouldn't surprise me if the drawings ended up in a skip somewhere, but let's face it much has unfortunately gone that way.

Netherwood sidings looks superb aswell, ive never actually seen it, only pics on this site. Very suprised its not had many show invites though.

• 2 months later...

First update of the year from me.

Not a great deals been done again, mainly due to it being a bit cold out in the shed this winter. I also had a leak in the shed roof which dripped down onto the scenic side (typical!) so had to fix this aswell. Fortunatly I spotted it before too much water got to the scenics and put a bucket under it! Sorted now though.

Firstly I got round to some scenic bits between the main lines, and near the diesel fuel area.

Static grass, scatters and a couple of small huts sorted the bit between the tracks. The same again on the outer side near the diesel fuel point and a short length of security fencing. I also made a length of the 33kv feeder cable and associated pilot cables. These ran along most of the length of the MSW route, connecting all the substations and the Pennistone control centre to the rest of the power grid. They were made simply from brass section for the concrete supports, the 33kv cable is copper 240v flex, stripped of insulation and soldered on. The smaller pilot cables are 0.6mm MIG welding wire, again just soldered on. The solder 'blobs' were then filed to a rough shape and painted a rusty colour to look like the metal hook brackets that supported the cables.

SAM_2297_zps73eb42ad.jpg

SAM_2298_zps584f7eec.jpg

I have also (almost) finished my Blue, small yellow panel, non boiler EM1, 26002. This one started life as a blue, boiler fitted model. The boiler hatch being carved off as per the last one. Then it was stripped, the roof masked off, and primed. Then sprayed Railmatch BR blue/Warning yellow. Gloss varnish applied where the decals were to go. Fox transfers added and once dry given two coates of satin varnish. The only down side is I managed to lose one of the clear light pieces and one cab footstep! Should be easy to make some replacements though!

SAM_2302_zps76c9bd67.jpg

SAM_2303_zps69ead80a.jpg

Im pleased with how it came out, and its a bit different. I think its a livery that looks good on these locos.

SAM_2301_zpsdf5bc314.jpg

And finally a few pics of 26002 on the bend near the new feeder cables.

SAM_2305_zps955e9bf0.jpg

SAM_2307_zps61e4b9a2.jpg

SAM_2308_zpsb3062bf6.jpg

• Like 8

Hi just read through this thread, I really admire the layout,and would love to build one based on the woodhead route ,as in common with previous posters I have a particular fondness for this line even though I am a South Wales WR man ,I travelled on it in its last weeks as a passenger route in December 1969,when arriving at Manchester on a mystery trip from Cardiff .

It's the catenary I find daunting though ,I am just starting a new stay at home layout and am sorely tempted to breakaway from WR hydraulics etc and venture over the Pennines .

Thanks for showing us your layout

Regards

Brian (Abercynon fach) ex Ranson Bridge

• Like 1

Brian, as nice as WR hydraulics are, id say give the electrics a go! I think you'll be suprised how easy it is to make catenery! That said, I do have a few Hydraulics, although they dont fit in with my MSW theme. Ive got a pair of the superb Heljan Hymeks, a Warship and am very tempted to get one (or three!) of the new Dapol Westerns. I think the Heljan Hymek is still one of my fav rtr models, even now, after more recent, finer models have come out. It still looks 'right' to me.

Dutch, Ive just spotted that too!! Didnt even notice it on the layout! Funny, it looks quite bad but doesnt seem to affect running at all? The current permanent way staff have all been reprimanded and the issue will be sorted!

And, yes, I do still need to do something about the pans. Id like to use the Judith Edge ones but making up as many of them as I need doesnt appeal much at the moment. Plus ive got loads of weathering to do. Just need to get some practice with my new airbrush set first.

• 2 months later...
  • 5 months later...

Nearly 8 months since I last updated this thread!!

Again progress has been slow, mainly due to work and other annoying distractions! But ive also been spending a bit of time just 'playing trains' instead of making scenery etc.

I decided to build a small overhead feeder and isolator structure to go with the substation. This was made from odd parts left over from the catenery and off cuts of wire etc.

SAM_2555_zpsfbe1a2dd.jpg

SAM_2556_zps3f8f2c1a.jpg

Ive also been making a road over bridge to hide the transition into the fiddle yard area. This is a plastic-card base with Wills stone sheets glued over the top. One deck has Wills girder sections used just for a bit of variety. The pics are of it in the painting stage. I have also made some anti arc boards to be fitted once the painting is finished.

SAM_2566_zps09c14dc2.jpg

On the motive power side of things, BR green full yellow ends E26031 has left the bench. This one started out as E26051, green small yellow ends, boiler fitted. The boiler moulding was removed exactly the same as the other blue ones. There is a slight complication here though as once the paintwork has been patched in the strip of lining needs to be replaced. I used fox transfers lining strips to do this. They arent exactly the same shade as the originals but a bit of toning down/weathering should hide the differance. Also, the renumbering couldnt have been easier! simply remove the old 5 and replace it with 3! I used a fibre glass pen very lightly to remove the old numbers and fox transfers numbers are a perfect match for the original Heljan numbers. The BR logo was also removed on one side and re applied in the correct place for this loco. Its worth looking carefully at the position of these as theyre not all in the same place, this applies to both green and blue versions.

When I was converting this one the only prototype pics I had were of it in a filthy weathered state, therefore i dont know if the buffer beams should be red or black? I assume since its still green it would have kept the red beams but if anyone knows better...

The same goes for the cab front handrails, should they be green or white?

SAM_2558_zps932096b0.jpg

SAM_2559_zpsba81453e.jpg

Lastly, two recent(ish) additions to the 1960's fleet. EM2's, E27005 Minerva and E27006 Pandora. Pictured straight out of the box! I know there is some controversy over the shape etc on these but I think they look great! The electric blue Pandora in particular looks superb.

SAM_2561_zps5ee7cd10.jpg

SAM_2564_zps7b76d17c.jpg

SAM_2571_zpsa77cdb8c.jpg

• Like 16

a great layout, like the double junction & OHE, never been upto that part of the rail network, so you've done a great job of capturing the character I think.always thought the 76's looked ancient 

now added to my follow list.

Edited by Ralph