St.Agnes Station - summer timetable

Jack00

Part of the Chacewater to Newquay Branchline, St.Agnes was a small GWR operated platform with a unique trackplan which consisted of two catch points at both ends of the station, allowing to accept one train from each direction, Newquay bound and Chacewater bound, the catch point on the Newquay side of the platform has caught severel drivers out in the past.

The Branchline closed in 1964, class 22's and 04's hauled scrap trains on the branchline consisting of metals cut and lifted rails, were loaded onto wagons, the formations were then taken else where to be disposed of. The Branchline had severel stations along its way, including Shepherds, Perranporth and Perranporth beach halt, and St. Agnes, which had a fairly decent trackplan and signalling diogram which i intend to recreate as closly as possible.

St.Agnes had an island platform where an up and down train could stop at the same time, also with a small goods shed and cattle dock should keep interest within operating the layout...on the upside of the platform the track ran alongside a steady bank, which then decended flat beside the track, the line then carried over the B3227 (the main road into St.Agnes and blackwater, which is now Chiverton cross) The line then headed to Mount Hawke, then curved round into Chacewater station.

creation in 00.

The two baseboards i plan to build will be 3ft each for easy access/portable reasons, with a backscene of blue sky and cloud to represent a summers day. The left scenic break into the fiddle yards will consist of the road bridge to Goonbell, then the trains will pass the catch points and decend into the fiddle yard. And on the right side, will have to be a sqaure hole cut into the back scene where the train decend into the "blue sky". But this is most likely to be hidden by the goods shed and the coal bunkers.

The track i plan to use is peco code 75 with wooden sleepers. But the track will be heavily weathered before being set and detailed. Due to my lack of/none existant scratchbuilding skills, afraid i'll have to buy the platforms and buildings...but i will weather and detail them to my own standards.

I will attatch a trackplan shortly. and a few prototype pictures.

thanks to the Cornwalls Railway Society web page, for all this wonderful inspiration.

Jack.

post-13209-0-42901900-1388924153_thumb.jpg

post-13209-0-36353300-1406205470_thumb.jpg

A quick trackplan from right to left is Chacewater and left end is towrds Goonbell and Newquay. The station building can be seen to this day, and the bridge side supports can be seen through the gorse.

post-13209-0-22298300-1344100829.jpg

Thanks for looking

Jack.

For the benefit of those who have never seen St.Agnes station (and also my benefit for modelling inspiration) here's a few pcitures i've just snapped at the old station site...now the industrial site home of many businesses.

The station enterance.

post-13209-0-74160100-1344109314.jpg

Gas lamp:

post-13209-0-00833200-1344109318.jpg

View of the station building and the area of the goods yard (where im stood) and the track bed looking towords Newquay:

post-13209-0-82038800-1344109321.jpg

The area of the cattle dock and goods shed:

post-13209-0-71446000-1344109325.jpg

embankment on the entrance side (goods shed looking towords chacewater)

post-13209-0-32154800-1344109330.jpg

The road bridge leading to Goonbell on the Newquay end of the station:

post-13209-0-93739500-1344109333.jpg

looking towards the station from the Newquay end:

post-13209-0-63987700-1344109338.jpg

Bridge looking towards Newquay:

post-13209-0-85466700-1344109342.jpg

looking towards chacewater and mount hawke on the bridge:

post-13209-0-95686200-1344109346.jpg

and finally the entrance looking towords mount hawke and where the goods depot/cattle dock use to be.

post-13209-0-10223100-1344109351.jpg

Jack.

A lot to try to pack into 6ft butt look forward to seeing it develop as it looks like an interesting prototype.

Did I miss the intended period of the model? ... Duh ! it is in the title!

How was access to the island platform gained?

• RMweb Gold

Jack,

Best of luck with this project !

It would be interesting to one day join your St. Agnes with my Shepherds Halt (or when built Shepherds Station) to give a real impression of the Chacewater to Newquay line.

This is a scanned photo from the Middleton Press 'Branch lines to Newquay' book (reproduced with permission) of St Agnes in 1948.

post-7025-0-81130500-1344161612.jpg

Cheers

Stu

Jack, that looks a really good project, I am modelling Llanfyllin in Mid Wales which still has the Station Building and Goods Shed in existence. Useful to measure the old buildings if you need to scratchbuild or adapt a kit

Terry

Thanks Terry, sounds like a really good setting. Thats good advice, the site isn't very big at all considering it was once an area that was litrelly bouncing...trains from Newquay and trains from Chacewater, cattle box vans being shunted, coal wagons loaded and un-loaded, holiday makers from Perran beach halt, and "commuters" between factories and mines.

A lot to try to pack into 6ft butt look forward to seeing it develop as it looks like an interesting prototype.

Did I miss the intended period of the model? ... Duh ! it is in the title!

How was access to the island platform gained?

Access...from what i can gather, was gained from a small ramp leading to steps from the off-set station building, over a foot crossing and up the platform slope into the raised platform to board the train, this being the routine after the footbridge was removed (seen in the photo Stu kindly posted).

Stu: thanks for posting that wonderful photo. (i was struggeling to gain permission, so thanks again) that would be great to join together if possible and recreate part of the branchline.

We can see the catch-point nearest the photographer on the Goonbell end of the platform (Newquay end) and the ramp leading to the foot crossing. This is the catchpoint that has caught many drivers out and the unique plan of catchpoints at each end of the platform allows 2 trains in section with STAFF tocken system, i was reading an amusing story...signalman threw a stink bomb onto the footplate of a steam loco 45xx and upon return the fireman of the loco toasted the tocken in the fire box and handed it to the signalman collecting the out of section tocken...practical jokes were keen in the 60's i see!!

Thanks for all the feedback

Jack.

This afternoon I watched a DVD on last steam in cornwall which covers all the branchlines, Newquay- Chacewater included and very interesting facts about the railway were covered.

Watch this space for more facts and stories about the line. Very interesting to watch it in action including early DMU's and praries working the line.

Jack.

Jack,

Best of luck with this project !

It would be interesting to one day join your St. Agnes with my Shepherds Halt (or when built Shepherds Station) to give a real impression of the Chacewater to Newquay line.

This is a scanned photo from the Middleton Press 'Branch lines to Newquay' book (reproduced with permission) of St Agnes in 1948.

post-7025-0-81130500-1344161612.jpg

Cheers

Stu

I have seen this photo in another book, including before, during and after photos of the alteration. Will try to find the book

Terry

An excellent choice of prototype location with an interesting and unusual later track layout. Quite narrow with an embankment at the rear and a very convenient overbridge.

I think you have chosen well and look forward to seeing this progress.

Oh joy good to see another WR layout appearing on RMWEB. I shall follow with great interest.

Thanks Alan

This looks a very intereting project Jack :) St Agnes is one of the few station sites in Cornwall I have never been to (wrong coast and all that ;) ) so its good to see a few old and new pictures of what is gonig off there now ...

thanks Mickey...its an interesting site, that still remains GWR atmosphere even though its a trading estate. ;)

An excellent choice of prototype location with an interesting and unusual later track layout. Quite narrow with an embankment at the rear and a very convenient overbridge.

I think you have chosen well and look forward to seeing this progress.

Cary Hill, The road bridge is certainly a convenience and i cant wait to start constructing the frame-work of the layout, including the bank on the furthest side.

Gordon A... i'm not sure why there is a small shunting locomotive up on the road level. I just assumed it was to represent the fact it was once a station. even though the loco is not a typical GWR diesel... but i got a snap of it anyway as its an unusual thing to see in Cornwall. i'll try and get some closer pictures of it on my way to work tomorrow morning out of curiosity.

Jack.

Just looking into the trackplan details a little more this evening, i reckon code 100 Medium radius points are more suitable on the loop (each end of the platform) and short radius for the goods shed and 'camping coach' siding. The medium radius look much more realistic than the short as they have a smoother turn in on the bogies and once weathered, they will look leaps and bounds over the previous short radius i've always used on previous layouts/projects.

2x medium radius (1 left 1 right)

2x short radius, left

2x left turn out catch points...one at each end of the platform.

But before this, I have to construct the baseboards: practice will make perfect and time is no limit. I will set out the platfroms, signal box and measure this so i have an exact measurment, i can then build the baseboards knowing everything will fit nicely and fit in a decent, realistic branch train. typically 2 coaches plus a loco. plus any goods wagons that may be coupled up on the rear.

I'm on annual leave for 2 weeks after the weekend so perfect oppertunity to plan everything out visually and make a start on the boards...including the backscence into the construction.

In the meen-time i'll flick through photo's of the station in its prime years. and possibly have a bash at some kit building and scratch building stuff.

Thanks for looking.

Jack.

• RMweb Premium

I have seen this photo in another book, including before, during and after photos of the alteration. Will try to find the book

Terry

There's a series of six photos in 'Great Western Branch Line Modelling - Part One' by Stephen Williams (Wild Swan 1991). They are on page 96 and five of them show the station after rebuilding and with an informative caption. On page 97 there is a signal diagram for the rebuilt station.

David

Nigel, very interesting video, although couldn't see St. Agnes. Truro looked jammed to the rafters with panniers/praries, and 22's.

David, thanks for mentioning that, I bet that's very interesting to see the re-modelled signalling diogram.

The ground constructed signal box (at the mount hawke end of the platform) was rather big!! Mind you all those points and signals to pull, and STAFF system to control, tokens to collects/ receive. It's any wonder it was a big box for such a small area.

Jack.

What's the whitish diesel on the embankment and why is it there in your picture "embankment on the entrance side"?

Gordon A

Bristol

Through work I had some involvement with the development of this site and I seem to recall that the owner and developer bought the diesel partly as an advertisement for the site but also to reflect its previous use as the station. It must have been there for at least 25 years.

At the same time I aquired a scale plan of the station, produced by the railway when the layout of the station was changed. Sadly I must have got rid of it at some time as part of a general clear out!!!

Cheers Rob

It crossed my mind about the shunter on the road level, as a few of the businesses have sign written vans stating: "at the old GWR station, St. Agnes" to keep the fact it was once a station alive.

Such a small world, can't believe so many people have commented showing interest and are familiar with the branchline.

Thanks

Jack.

What's the whitish diesel on the embankment and why is it there in your picture "embankment on the entrance side"?

Gordon A

Bristol

This came from Devonport Dockyard and as I understand that it was the town council wanted there to be a reminder of what the site was once.

XF

Just watched the video. Great footage of the Chacewater branch. Nice to see it in action and in it's prime.

The dockyard shunter certainly draws attention to the site. Thanks for the information.

Jack.

Archived