Model Rail 173 September 2012

dibber25

Hi Adams 442T, I've agreed a number of projects with Ben over the coming years. They're aimed at the broadest spectrum of modellers from entry-level to advanced and clearly we've started nearer the former with what in my mind is a development, perhaps from an existing baseboard and collection of rigid track components, into a slightly more realistic interpretation without expending too much money on a complete restart. On the other hand many modellers have used this type of basic track plan as inspiration for something more advanced. In this case, what about a more realistic interpretation of Queensbury with much larger radius curves and an operating/access well in each of the circuits?

Best rgrds Paul

Hi Paul, That's good news, I feared we were in for a run of, 'how much can you squeeze into a 6 x 4' articles! It's probably a personal thing, but I've long thought the 'classic 6x4' one of the more doubtful ideas foisted on us from the earliest days of Peco planning booklets. Too small for realistic curves, too unweildy to be portable and too big to comfortably reach across for the inevitable derailments with the geometry you're forced to use. I agree that Queensbury could offer a lot in something like a 10 x 8 shed baseboard. With operating wells you a least can't see them when they're behind you!

Best of luck with the future plans, I shall look forward to them! :paint:

Peter

Hi Peter, many thanks for your comments, please bear with us for a while, there are three more 6' x 4' layouts to come. From my point of view they all all have something to contribute away from the traditional approach to the standard size; one completely hides any tight curves! All could be used as inspiration for more advanced treatment.

I`ll be at Model Rail Live - Barrow Hill with our usual layout design clinic, come and have a chat if you`re attending the show we can talk about future possibilities.

Kind regards

Paul

I have always looked at plans for smaller spaces than I have available. It is much better to expand by increasing curve radii, train lengths etc, and I agree about the solid 6x4 in that it is better to have an operating well.

Ed

currently building a 6x4 with no operaring well because I would br too fat to fit!

Hi Peter, many thanks for your comments, please bear with us for a while, there are three more 6' x 4' layouts to come. From my point of view they all all have something to contribute away from the traditional approach to the standard size; one completely hides any tight curves! All could be used as inspiration for more advanced treatment.

I`ll be at Model Rail Live - Barrow Hill with our usual layout design clinic, come and have a chat if you`re attending the show we can talk about future possibilities.

Kind regards

Paul

I have always looked at plans for smaller spaces than I have available. It is much better to expand by increasing curve radii, train lengths etc, and I agree about the solid 6x4 in that it is better to have an operating well.

Ed

currently building a 6x4 with no operaring well because I would br too fat to fit!

Hi Paul (& Ed)

I won't be able to make this one sadly 'cos I'm off to Chicago for work. But I'll endeavour to make another time. I will be interested to see what you come up with, who knows you may have a convert!

And Ed.........I wasn't going to mention my similar space problem with 6x4s...........................

Looks like a good issue but I'm in grumpy mode again, no supplement for overseas subscribers! I feel like a poor relative. I know that Ben and Chris have no control over this but it's very dissapointing as that's one supplement I would have liked.

Regards

Veronica

Looks like a good issue but I'm in grumpy mode again, no supplement for overseas subscribers! I feel like a poor relative. I know that Ben and Chris have no control over this but it's very dissapointing as that's one supplement I would have liked.

Regards

Veronica

I apologise for this. I believe they were supposed to have gone in but don't appear to have done so. It is currently being investigated.

CHRIS LEIGH

• RMweb Gold

Regards

Veronica

Ditto for me, Chris. Appreciate the investigation very much.

My copy arrived today, three days after the August Issue. And with the Hornby Magazine dragging their feet, I have 3 to read all at once, when its usually 2 weeks between the Model Rail and the Hornby Mag. Well all I can say is that at least I have received them.

Looked like an interesting supplement too.

Mark

Not sure there's any way to lay out a double page picture without it going across the gutter. The normal procedure is to 'stretch' a strip down the centre of the picture by 6mm which is the amount swallowed by the binding. That's what we do. If that doesn't work I'm not sure there's anything else that can be done. It is the down side of perfect binding. Saddle stitched, your pages drop out, perfect bound you lose the middle of your pictures. There's no ideal way that solves all the problems - unless you go for smaller pictures that don't spread over the gutter, I suppose, or thinner magazines with saddle stitching. Neither option really seems acceptable..

CHRIS LEIGH

• RMweb Premium

I apologise for this. I believe they were supposed to have gone in but don't appear to have done so. It is currently being investigated.

CHRIS LEIGH

My supplement arrived yesterday (in Portugal) on its own in a small clear plastic bag, so I big thank you for correcting the initial mistake of not including it with MR173.

I just wonder if I've missed something? The cover proudly proclaims 'Four Inspirational Layouts' but I can only see three layout features in the mag?

There was to have been a fourth but unfortunately the material we received was unsuitable and by the time it was received, the cover (which is printed separately) had already gone to press. Apologies for any disappointment.

CHRIS LEIGH

My magazine came today to good old Tassie!!! one week after 172. Also with no supplement, Feel really left out getting them so late and missing a bit. Still a great mag!!!!

Gary in Tassie!!!

Supplements were accidentally omitted from overseas subscriber copies but are now being sent out separately to those subscribers, from the subscription company. We apologise for any inconvenience caused. Future supplements should come with the magazines.

CHRIS LEIGH

• RMweb Premium

I liked the old style of magazine but I also like the new, especially the contents list down the spine.

Glad you didn't go for the high gloss paper inside. Nothing bugs me more than when you have fantastics photos, such as those for Hectorage Road in this issue, and the overall picture is lost to large areas of 'shine'. The other thing, regarding the magazine (paper thickness), is that, with Model Rail, you get lots of pages without it taking up that extra bit of room on the bookshelf = more magazines per shelf.

I also carry Model Rail around with me in my bag for all those moments when you could just be idly sitting around waiting :boredom: so I like the fact that it doesn't weigh as much it's not as heavy as a lot of magazines do are these days.

Lastly, and this should cheer you up, I subscribed online last night :D, the only trouble will be who gets to the post first to read it :read:

...and because our Sentinel runs so superbly at exhibition I'll be ordering another one - so we don't wear No. 13 out :lol:

• RMweb Gold

Malcolm Youngs' stunning shed scene, Hectorage Road which features in the latest MR, can be seen at The Gas Cupboard in Trowbridge next thursday

http://www.gascupboard.co.uk/free-railway-thursdays.html

This is the last time the layout will be out in public as Malcolm is making a start on the extension in the autumn and the shed scene will be permanently fixed in place.

Other regular contributors to MR and RMWeb will also be featuring in the new season of thursday evening workshops including Steve Jones, Dave Spencer, Rob Owst and myself.

Jerry

My supplement arrived in Sunny South Africa. Thank you Ben and Chris.

The magazine is excellent as usual. I'm looking forward to being able to get the digital version in the near future, I like real paper magazines but digital magazines have distinct advantages for those of us overseas. No more delayed or missing issues and hopefully quite a big reduction in cost.

Regards

Veronica.

Would love to have purchased this, except that my local Smiffs only had this bundled with Steam Railway for a fiver so I gave it a miss. Will chance a different newsagent tomorrow.

The same here. The Smiths that I always buy my copy in haven't had any the past two weeks, and today I asked the girl restocking the shelves and she said they hadn't had any: in the end I bought the bundled Steam Railway copy for a fiver, and I don't even do kettles. Has there been a distribution cock up?

The same here. The Smiths that I always buy my copy in haven't had any the past two weeks, and today I asked the girl restocking the shelves and she said they hadn't had any: in the end I bought the bundled Steam Railway copy for a fiver, and I don't even do kettles. Has there been a distribution cock up?

That question would require a conversation between your branch of Smiths and wherever they get their copies from - which most likely is within their own organisation. Distribution is way beyond anything that editorial people can deal with and I very much doubt whether any distribution people in Smiths read this forum. I quote from the very top of page 3 (every issue) - "Can't find it at your local newsagent? Call Frontline on 01733 555161."

CHRIS LEIGH

Archived