4mm Plasser & Theurer 08-16 tamper

• 3 weeks later...

That is truly exceptional mate, if you don't win I'll be amazed, really really good! Can you make it into a kit? As Im looking for some on track plant stock for a layout extension. If you do another tamper then can you do a colas one?

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Woah this is a absolutely fantastic model!.Should win hands down then again I am biased because I work for Amey OTM and operated 73911, she has had a bit of a chequered railway career being derailed twice and once was me at Great Malvern by the signal box and she had to be lifted of the infrastructure by two 100 ton mobile cranes!. Currently at Plassers with no work and may be altered to go on the underground. great site great to see an Amey machine in a scale model.Thanks Ian

• RMweb Gold

The term “model railways” is a variable.

It varies from “trains”, at one end of the scale, through to “facsimiles of the real thing" at the other end.

I know which end of this scale you work in!

Well done sir.

Kev.

Hi Gt. Shefford,

What you have done has to be the model of the year full stop, let alone 'scratch-built' model of the year. I've just seen this topic for the first time today and was astounded by the intricate detail that you have incorporated into such a complex design. It also emphasises the fact that 4mm models of track maintenence machines are neglected by the trade, unless you count H0 models and bespoke ones.

How much is a laser cutter by the way?!

Colin

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

Wow!

Awesome model and very well detailed! Probably the best maintenance track model I ever saw!

A lot of good tips for my track maintenance Kibri models!!!

Wel done Jonathan. Congratulatios and thanks for sharing.

Thanks

Regards,

Ayala Botto

• 2 weeks later...

Just to whet your appetites;      :-)

The model was built and decorated by Jonathan from the kit. Now I've had a chance to play I can confirm that a standard size sound chip will fit easily into the engine cubicle assembly, from where it is very easy to wire to the adjacent motor bogie. I used a bass reflex speaker situated in the handy void above the cubicle and tamper banks. As you can see in the video it is virtually invisible there. Jonathan has also made provision for the engine cubicle to act as a speaker enclosure as well (using a standard 20x40 speaker) so it should be straightforward to make one loud enough for exhibition use (make both speakers 8 ohm and connect in parallel to the chip).

I can also confirm that the model is every bit as good as the pictures suggest; outstanding detail, very crisply moulded and importantly, pretty robust. I would recommend building in a little weight during construction to give the motor more to work against and help smooth the motion but it's pretty good out of the box. The mechanism on the Black Beetle was a little noisy, although it wasn't properly run-in yet. Jonathan is looking at using one with plastic instead of metal gears which I suspect will be better.

Look out for the model on Charlie's stall at the shows, starting at Leamington in January, also Model Rail Scotland and Stafford in the spring.

Bif

• 1 month later...

Hi

Absolutely amazing - brilliant model.  Words don't do it justice!!     Like everyone else I want one!!  

The questions in my mind are when might they be more widely available, how much would it cost? 

I was planning to go to Stafford - if  can see this I think it clinches it!!  

I'll say well done again!

Archived