Locomotive Lighting

As a newcomer who is used to German train lighting, I am curious why I do not see headlights on OO scale models, much. I realize that that light placements on the front of British locomotives depict various classes of trains; however, it seems odd that lights are not universally illuminated on British trains. None of my (few and newly acquired) British models have any lighting. Does someone manufacture lanterns that might be used to adorn my Hornby and Mainline dampfloks and my Class 55 Deltic?

• RMweb Gold

It all depends on the era that you are modelling. Modern trains have high intensity headlights on the front, along with fairly bright marker lights, but the older locos had marker lights so dim that they could hardly be seen in daylight, so there's no need to model them (mind you, I've probably trodden on a few toes of people who have put lights in their DCC models).

Most new diesel and electric models have lighting but models of steam locomotives (dampfloks) do not have lighting. Steam locos in the UK did not have headlamps and used oil lamps which were placed in various positions to indicate the type of train.

Archived