Disabling the worm (motor) drive from Bachmann 37

Superrams

Hi Guys

I have got Bachmann's DRS pair of 37's ( 510 & 688 ), of which 510 i had sound fitted.

I want to run them in consist though as is prototypical for the DRS class

Both run now though at different speeds which makes consisting a non starter.

It is extremely difficult to marry the speeds of a sound fitted loco to a non sound version ( Olivia's advice )

I fully understand their reservations as the non sound loco will always move faster than the sound version

There are only two options open to me now, firstly, add sound to the second loco, which i would like to do but is an expensive luxury at the moment, or remove the worm drive gear out of 37 688 and run it dead. ( Again,Olivia's advice this morning )

I don't really want to do this if truth's known, but i have Network Rail stock, and Nuclear Flasks, but both train types require double heading to replicate the real thing.

The problem is, i don't know how to do this, has anyone ever done this to a Bachmann Class 37, and if so could you enlighten me as to how this is done please ?

Thanks

Superrams

It should be simple enough to get both your locos running at compatible speeds, that's what CVs are for. You just need to slow down the fast one. There are plenty of guides to this sort of thing on the web. To give specific help we would need to know what decoder you have.

All of these are powered

Keith

If you can't sort it via the above, and you want to disable the drive, take the drive shafts out instead:

- Unscrew the body, 6 screws from memory, 2 in each bufferbeam, 1 each end of the fuel tanks diagonally opposite

- The bogie tower is secured by a single screw through the metal block, unscrew it and the bogie will drop down.

- The drive shaft can now be removed from the bogie tower with just a gentle pull.

- Reassembly is the reverse of removal.

Just removing the drive shaft will stall the consist as it will leave the wheels locked solid. One loco running + a second stalled on the track = no movement.

Take the bogies out by releasing the pivot screws. On the top of each bogie tower is a circular platform with two crosshead screws in it either side of the pivot. Remove these screws and the platform comes off, then you can unclip the worm from the assembly underneath.

But far and away the better solution is to adjust the CV's on the decoders to make the two locos a decent match as Keith has already suggested. The only trouble that does occur is some of the sound effect delay, like the wait while the brakes come off before advancing to speed step 1, which isn't generally available on non sound decoders. If there is adjustment for that kind of effect on the sound decoder, then wind the delay time down really low. Between that and giving the non-sound decoder a little more CV3, you should be able to get a good match. I did this on the fly with a sound equipped Bach 20, and my own silent 20, (which happened to be a much faster running unit) and it took less than five minutes, including a couple of timed scale half mile circuits to get decent speed matching.

• 1 month later...

i was thinking the issue with matching sound to non sound isn't so much getting the speeds the same at set throttle possitions, but that some sound chips when asked to move the loco have a delay while the sound does its thing in revving the motor before the loco is allowed to move, or waiting for you to release the brakes, or even going through the entire start up procedure before it allows the loco to think about moving. my Bachmann class 20 won't move till the start up has completed, when i first got it i thought it was faulty!!

Hi Superram,

There is alternative, which I did recently, and it works fantastically well.

I originally removed the worm drives from my 2 x Class 20's for the same reason as you.....only one sound decoder.

I recently replaced the worm drive, and ran just two wires from the red and black motor wires in the sound loco, through to the motor in the non sound loco. So now both locos are powered, but the sound only in one. They synchronise perfectly as they are both powered off one decoder, and are identical locos.

The non sound loco is not providing any electrical pick up from the track to the decoder in the other loco, that is done just by the sound loco.

post-21-0-97909900-1347221805_thumb.jpg

post-21-0-97530500-1347221821_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

The solution (so I'm reliably told) is to speed match the sound loco and non sound loco in the usual way for a consist using the speed tables making sure that you set speed step one to zero on both decoders. This has the effect that when you select speed step one on the throttle the sound decoder goes through it's start-up sequence but neither loco will move, once complete increasing to speed step 2 or greater and both locos move off in unison. I have this problem with my sound fitted MLV and non sound 4CEP , I've not tried it out yet as I don't have a continous loop to do the speed matching at present (soon to be rectified) but live in hope.

Ray.

The solution (so I'm reliably told) is to speed match the sound loco and non sound loco in the usual way for a consist using the speed tables making sure that you set speed step one to zero on both decoders. This has the effect that when you select speed step one on the throttle the sound decoder goes through it's start-up sequence but neither loco will move, once complete increasing to speed step 2 or greater and both locos move off in unison. I have this problem with my sound fitted MLV and non sound 4CEP , I've not tried it out yet as I don't have a continous loop to do the speed matching at present (soon to be rectified) but live in hope.

Ray.

Hi Ray,

Hope you are keeping well.

I got fed up trying to speed match the two class 20's, one with sound and one without. I am now more up to speed with DCC, and would agree that you can find a permutation that will work. I just chickened out and chose the simpler option....well at least simpler for me.

Bob.

Ray.

now that is a great idea, do you have to use the speed tables to do this??

Yes, a reliable consist with DCC requires the use of speed matching by the use of speed tables. You might get away with the normal cv2,5,6 if the locos/decoders are the same, but you wouldn't be able to use the method above for the sound decoder (unless you had sound In both).

I think theres.a thread on this subject in the DCC sound section.

Ray

Hi Ray,

Hope you are keeping well.

I got fed up trying to speed match the two class 20's, one with sound and one without. I am now more up to speed with DCC, and would agree that you can find a permutation that will work. I just chickened out and chose the simpler option....well at least simpler for me.

Bob.

Hi Bob, yes that's a good solution if you don't need to separate locos. I like the screw-link couplings in your pictures, presumably there's enough give in the sprung buffers to get you around the corners ok.

Ray.

Hi Bob, yes that's a good solution if you don't need to separate locos. I like the screw-link couplings in your pictures, presumably there's enough give in the sprung buffers to get you around the corners ok.

Ray.

Hi Ray

Yes, there is just enough play through the tightest of bends on my layout....but I agree, the screw coupling does look good, and the two locos have always been a permanent tandem fixture. I only use the electrical pick up off one of the two locos, hence only two wires between the locos.....and pick up has never been a problem.

I'm not a tight wad.......but I didnt really want to put another sound decoder in the second 20 if I could avoid it.

Thanks...............Bob

Archived