Paris

samkiller42

It's not long before i head on off. Started packing already (just socks so far) which is very unusual, Taxi and coach are booked as far as London Gatwick, just need to buy the train from Gatwick to St. Pancras, and the RER or Bus ticket in Paris. Anyone know the rough cost of the RER or Bus between Gare du Nord and Gare du Lyon?

Sam

It's not long before i head on off. Started packing already (just socks so far) which is very unusual, Taxi and coach are booked as far as London Gatwick, just need to buy the train from Gatwick to St. Pancras, and the RER or Bus ticket in Paris. Anyone know the rough cost of the RER or Bus between Gare du Nord and Gare du Lyon?

Sam

Not sure, but you can in theory buy the equivilent of a travelcard for Paris Metro from the Buffet on Eurostar, although when I tried to get a Brussels 'Jump' ticket on my last trip to Belgium, they didn't actually have any.

Jon

• RMweb Premium

Sam

In 2009 it (EDIT IT = RER) was 1€60 single - so allowing for 3 years inflation I would reckon on around 1€90

Sam

LMGTFY http://www.ratp.fr/fr/ratp/c_20586/tous-les-titres-et-tarifs/

The grand sum of €1,70. A carnet for 10 single trips costs €12,70.

Alternatively a Paris-Visite pass can be bought on-line and starts at €9,75 for a one-day central Paris pass.

Thanks all, I've managed to get across Paris, and i'm not enjoying the warm sunshine in S.West France, One thing i couldn't see was a payment method, turns out the machines don't accept cash, but Change, Card or some other automated system.

Sam

• 2 years later...

Apologies if this is elsewhere, a search did not find anything related. 

I have just returned from a trip to Paris, and visited the model railway under the Gare de l'Est. It is open on Saturday afternoons between 14.30 and 19.00 and has three layouts, 1 HO gauge, 1 O gauge and one O gauge (metre). I attach some images of the HO and O gauge layouts, I can upload more if anybody is interested.

If anybody is able to visit, you have to access the area by going down the Alsace parking ramp (left hand side of the station), going to the bottom and turning right and going through Porte 9 (Door 9), which is  the first door you come to. It was held open by a block of wood when I visited. There seems to be no charge, and it is worth a visit.

Nic

post-22603-0-53730000-1428776619_thumb.jpg

post-22603-0-14789500-1428776624_thumb.jpg

post-22603-0-26995500-1428776672_thumb.jpg

+1 from me, well worth a visit.

The furnishings are almost as interesting to look at as the railways, particularly the low-relief TGV advert and the huge model of an electric locomotive that was in the entrance hall when I went this summer. The H0 layout is large and very nicely done, and the O gauge one is impressive in its size as well as its age (started in the late 30's, the pacific locomotive which Nic may have spotted was started in the late 1910s...)

Certainly worth putting aside an hour or two to visit if ever you ever happen to be in Paris!

JB

Archived