Two new models, plus the YE Janus and an Ivatt 2MT

Alex Duckworth

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Quick update on 1501 - the valve gear is finished and moves convincingly, but when the drive unit was fitted it and the motor protruded too far into the cab for my liking. The unit has been redesigned and I'm just waiting for some tiny gears to pitch up (pun alert) and the saga will continue.

Alex

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Thanks Pete.

I'm glad to say that I've made some more progress. Drive unit Mk. 2 was finished but proved to be a bit of a disappointment, the use of a smaller motor was a mistake. I found a small can motor taken from a Japanese RTR chassis which looks very similar to the new Association motor which performed really well. Unfortunately the extra size meant that to use a two stage gearbox I would have to either have the motor in the cab or drop the DCC chip/stayalive. I decided to adopt a direct drive from the motor worm to the rear axle spur gear, saving enough room to keep the DCC rig and have a clear cab. Here is the final chassis.

post-3457-0-01554100-1354559702.jpg

And the body after it's first primer coat

post-3457-0-70595400-1354559773.jpg

Body on chassispost-3457-0-50482100-1354559868.jpgpost-3457-0-87165800-1354559897.jpg

not too much left to do now.

Alex

....There aren't many GWR engines that use this boiler though.

It's just the 2251, 15xx and 94xx that use the Standard no.10 (with the 15xx having a shorter smokebox).

The 2251 and 94xx also share a cylinder block.

I think that's about it.

.....some more progress. Drive unit Mk. 2 was finished but proved to be a bit of a disappointment, the use of a smaller motor was a mistake. I found a small can motor taken from a Japanese RTR chassis which looks very similar to the new Association motor which performed really well. Unfortunately the extra size meant that to use a two stage gearbox I would have to either have the motor in the cab or drop the DCC chip/stayalive. I decided to adopt a direct drive from the motor worm to the rear axle spur gear, saving enough room to keep the DCC rig and have a clear cab. Here is the final chassis.

post-3457-0-01554100-1354559702.jpg

And the body after it's first primer coat

post-3457-0-70595400-1354559773.jpg

Body on chassispost-3457-0-50482100-1354559868.jpgpost-3457-0-87165800-1354559897.jpg

not too much left to do now.

Alex

Brilliant.

We've waited so long for a good one in 4mm scale. We're still waiting......

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Here's the first finished model, photo courtesy of Grahame Rayner

post-3457-0-18687800-1356809165.jpg

The nameplates were etched for me by the excellent Guilplates.

Second (thankfully) finished model, ex-GWR 1501.

post-3457-0-67514200-1356809312.jpg

post-3457-0-50109800-1356809335.jpg

post-3457-0-68572900-1356809388.jpg

post-3457-0-60112700-1356809361.jpg

Once again, number plates and smokebox plate by Guilplates. Not sure what to tackle next, I'll decide after the New Year. Hope that you all have a happy one,

Alex.

• RMweb Premium

They look superb Alex. The 15xx is a real bruiser.  Have you skimmed the wheels, they look finer than standard 2mm profile?

Jerry

Thanks Jerry. The wheels aren't skimmed, just standard Assc. drivers, but they have been painted right to the tyre bevel so perhaps that's why they look finer.

1501 looks incredible, especially in NCB red!

Please pardon the question, on the off-chance, but do you have any spare/scrap 1501 plates, I need to source something for my slightly more approximate N gauge version?

Cheers,

Will

Thank you Will, sorry to say I only ordered two of each. However Guilplates will have the artwork on file I expect and will etch some for you, or there is a thread in this 2mm section about etched details by the chap who does the 2mm LMS engines, perhaps he might do some?

Excellent work, really inspiring

Paul A.

Thanks Paul.

That 15xx is superb - you've got the look of the prototype spot on!

Thanks Pix.

Stunning work as ever, Alex. It takes a brave person to paint a GWR loco in red though! ;-)

Andy

Thank you Andy - not being a GWR fan the sacrilege aspect didn't occur to me.

Smashing work Alex - agreed on the loco comments so I will put in a plug for the equally superb Signal Cabin.

Best wishes for 2013 :good:

Thanks Pete, hope that the new year turns out well for you.

Alex.

1501 looks incredible, especially in NCB red!

Please pardon the question, on the off-chance, but do you have any spare/scrap 1501 plates, I need to source something for my slightly more approximate N gauge version?

Cheers,

Will

I f you contact narrow Planet (info@narrowplanet.co.uk), then they will probably be able to help. Their products are exceptional, and they can do all sorts of things beyond name and numberplates for those who are interested 

Will, I forgot to ask how you were building your 15XX, I'd be very interested in how you get on with it.

Yet another 'parts bin special', to trundle convincingly through my ('modern') Victoria Bridge diorama rather than to be a faithful replica of the real thing. It started life in a similar way, the cab and shortened tanks of a Farish 94xx, wrapped around the truncated middle of a Dapol Ivatt 2-6-2 chassis. The wheelbase and wheels of the LMS tank are admittedly overscale, but the overscaleness of the Farish superstructure at least keeps things in proportion!

I like the idea of using the Peco boiler, just the right ingredient. Im my case I am using the remains of the Farish boiler with N Brass embellishments.

See here: http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/blog/351/entry-8571-3d-bridge-printing-and-brass-chimneys/

I have recently realised that it uses the more ancient of the two generations of Farish 94XX, the bodyshell was bought for a matter of pence from a charity stand. The advantage of the old version is that there is minimal cast structure inside it.. which is a bonus when you are trying to wrap it around an unsuspecting modern chassis!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

Archived