Two new models, plus the YE Janus and an Ivatt 2MT

Alex Duckworth

• RMweb Premium

Pretty amazing work, from someone whose eyesight struggles with 4mm, these are truly breathtaking

Wonderful Alex :good:

Can you share anything on the layout it has been photographed on to?

Thank you, the biggest pain was running the leads for the LED's down through the front rails. The layout is just a length of test track, one turnout and two sidings with 24"part curves with some invented industrial type senic gubbins for a photo backdrop. Photo of the whole thing below. Having not got around to building a layout yet I previously only had a section of straight track to test my models on, and I've been suprised at how many problems (mainly BtoB) the point and curves have shown up. I'm currently working my way along the back adding more depth and buildings, I'm tempted to extend the track on the LHS and add another line and point filling the space behind the portacabins.

post-3457-0-49239100-1393627724_thumb.jpg

Alex.

• RMweb Premium

Very impressed with the Janus, glad to know it goes together well - this isn't one of our easiest kits in 4mm scale. Can we see some details of how it is powered please?

Judith and Michael Edge

Hi Mike,

You'll find some photos of the mechanism on pages 22 and 23 of the 2mm Workbench thread. Alex always seems to come up with innovative solutions!

David

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Quick Janus update - unfortunately problems with the decoder chip (directional lighting) have meant that it has been cut out of the chassis and returned to the supplier for repair or replacement. It's a bit of a nuisance to say the least as the chip is quite a close fit and the model will require a degree of dismantling to refit. Hopefully the fault will prove not to be of my own making!

Alex.

Those ingots look good Alex, it's a technique I haven't seen used in 2mm before, nice to see that it works.

Well done with the Janus, I'm just completing a pair in 4mm myself and I know what Michael means about it not being the easiest. Despite being a 'large' loco those small, twin, bonnets don't leave much scope for motorising it, even in 4mm let alone 2mm.

Lovely weathering job too.

• RMweb Premium

Those ingots look good Alex, it's a technique I haven't seen used in 2mm before, nice to see that it works.

Well done with the Janus, I'm just completing a pair in 4mm myself and I know what Michael means about it not being the easiest. Despite being a 'large' loco those small, twin, bonnets don't leave much scope for motorising it, even in 4mm let alone 2mm.

Lovely weathering job too.

Thank you Arthur. I'm looking forward to seeing some photos of your new layout, I assume that the two Janus are for it? Also do you use enamel or acyrlic flourescents? For weathering yellow diesels I can thoroughly recommend AK Interactive's Engine Grime and Engine Oil, very realistic finishes.

Alex.

Alex, the fluorescent orange I use is a Plasticote enamel. I've had it a while, bought from Wilkos I think, though It doesn't seem to be available any more, well not that I can find. There's a Plasticote spray though I don't know if that's acrylic or enamel. The last 'hot' ingot I did I gave a thin final coat of a Klear, it just seemed to enhance the final effect;

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/67-how-realistic-are-your-models-photo-challenge/?p=1315608

Yes, my locos are for my planned steelworks layout. I'm intending to finish building all the rolling stock and road vehicles this year and to start the layout before the year ends.

Thanks for the tip about the AK range, I've heard good things about them and I'll give those Engine ones a go.

• 1 year later...

Archived