What engine would you model?

-missy-

Other than that a Cambrian Small Sharps 4-4-0, lovely elegant things. Again no use on my branch but one day...(I'm building a 2-4-0 which strictly never ran on the branch either, but it was light enough to have been able to, that may also satisfy Branwell above as they used the same locos)

Indeed it would. I have actually been making some enquiries of Dragon Models as to whether they might be able to produce their 4mm etches in 2mm scale and the early indications are that they would, but only if there was enough interest (ten is the minimum etch run that they'd consider doing).

Either the LNER Beyer-Garratt 2-8-8-2 for which there is no kit and never likely to be, or I'd love to make the time to build Bob Jones' J72 kit which I would finish as Joem in her current guise. I spent a cracking day out on her earlier this year. Fell in low. You can guess the rest.....

Alan

Indeed it would. I have actually been making some enquiries of Dragon Models as to whether they might be able to produce their 4mm etches in 2mm scale and the early indications are that they would, but only if there was enough interest (ten is the minimum etch run that they'd consider doing).

Well I'd definitely be interested in several of the wagons if they were scaled down, And I'm sure I could find some room for a Small Sharp. I'd also settle for the source of the drawings, I have nothing to go on for my Cambrian expedition.

• RMweb Premium

No takers for the great unloved, the Krugers?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GWR_2602_Class

It would probably be unique in 2FS or any other scale that you care to mention.

Well, perhaps not a Kruger then but its prettier offspring, the Aberdare. Nobody builds many of those either. Credited to Dean but I suspect the hand of Churchward :)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GWR_2600_Class

David

For me, there is a whole list of GWR classes, not to mention all the Broad Gauge... (some day it shall be done...)

But all in all, the one loco i'd like to do an exact 2mm model of is Dolgoch, and to the correct 2mmFS equivalent of 2'3" gauge at that, with a good rake of 1 ton slate wagons behind it as well.

-Cody F.

• RMweb Gold

For me, there is a whole list of GWR classes, not to mention all the Broad Gauge... (some day it shall be done...)

But all in all, the one loco i'd like to do an exact 2mm model of is Dolgoch, and to the correct 2mmFS equivalent of 2'3" gauge at that, with a good rake of 1 ton slate wagons behind it as well.

-Cody F.

Dolgoch is indeed a lovely engine but it is quite small so perhaps not the best choice for a first attempt. It cost me £60 to drive it to Bryn Glas and back with a set of coaches on the HAve-a-go weekend money well spent.

Don

Dolgoch is indeed a lovely engine but it is quite small so perhaps not the best choice for a first attempt. It cost me £60 to drive it to Bryn Glas and back with a set of coaches on the HAve-a-go weekend money well spent.

Don

Obviously i'd have to build plenty of the less important NG lines locos like the WHR, FR, etc. before tackling the locos of the mighty TR. I'm quite envious of your having driven Dolgoch. An ocean and a empty wallet separate me from my desires yet again.

-Cody F.

• RMweb Gold

Obviously i'd have to build plenty of the less important NG lines locos like the WHR, FR, etc. before tackling the locos of the mighty TR. I'm quite envious of your having driven Dolgoch. An ocean and a empty wallet separate me from my desires yet again.

-Cody F.

Not so much less important it is just that some would be a bit easier. Owain Glendower on the VOR should be much easier to fit a motor. Sorry I cannot do much about the ocean Dologh was a 60th treat for myself and also required a holiday arranged in the area at the right time plus the understanding wife. However if you do have to make a business trip over here and can influence the timing......... Of course you will then have a conflict with the TR or the next 2mm expo. Ah descisions descisions

Don

Not so much less important it is just that some would be a bit easier. Owain Glendower on the VOR should be much easier to fit a motor. Sorry I cannot do much about the ocean Dologh was a 60th treat for myself and also required a holiday arranged in the area at the right time plus the understanding wife. However if you do have to make a business trip over here and can influence the timing......... Of course you will then have a conflict with the TR or the next 2mm expo. Ah descisions descisions

Don

Oh i forgott to add, High School to that list, even though summer is still here for just under 2 weeks. I'm trying to convince my mother to let me (with her for "supervision") go to the York show (which is when i'm on spring break) rather than go on the ubiquitous "Senior Trip" which to me is boring since it involves spending a week at Disney World...

-Cody F.

• RMweb Gold

As Karhedron has stated previously, I would love to see one of the powerfull gwr 47xx's, as this is unlikely to be done by the major manufacturers in the foreseeable future. What about Dukes and Bulldogs ??

There was a very nice bulldog at the last 2mmSA AGM.

Don

• RMweb Gold

Indeed. Rightly so no one seemed to care that it is to N gauge. Totnes, the layout it spent all weekend running around is beautiful mind.

Seeing as most people seem to feel re-wheeling N gauge locos is fine for 2mfs this one seemed to be the reverse a 2mfs loco with N gauge wheels.

Don

• RMweb Gold

The Bulldog in question was built by John Birkett Smith. It is 2mm scale on 9mm, N, gauge. In all other respects it is built like a 2FS loco with split axle pickup, motor in the tender and driving via UJs to a gerbox in the loco.

To answer VonRyan's question, there are rather confusingly multiple N scales.

Jerry

The Bulldog in question was built by John Birkett Smith. It is 2mm scale on 9mm, N, gauge. In all other respects it is built like a 2FS loco with split axle pickup, motor in the tender and driving via UJs to a gerbox in the loco.

To answer VonRyan's question, there are rather confusingly multiple N scales.

Jerry

Well, there is one N scale (1:160) then there is the Japanese version that uses 9mm gauge at a scale of 1:150... more of an N gauge...

Then there is N gauge (1:148) that is commonly considered N gauge since it uses the same 9mm gauge as 1:160...

Then you have the more exact 2mmFS (1:152.4) with that really exact gauge that is just over 9mm.

Of course we all probably know this, but when it comes down to it, the true N Scale is 1:160 since that is the scale in which 9mm=4' 8-1/2"

-Cody F.

• 2 weeks later...

On loco's - definitely a 'Bulldog' (or three). 'Skylark' or 'Kingfisher' with the deeper frames and 'River Plym' for a change and family connections... I wouldn't mind subscribing to one at 12"-ft scale either. Always makes more sense to me than seeing a 'King' with two coaches tied on running on a half-mile length of track... Or am I being heretical??

As to the eternal 'gauge/scale' debate, having modelled 'over the pond' in my younger years - our US cousins always refer to 'N-Scale'. Quite correctly of course as their models are at 1:160.

Regs

Ian

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

I've got plans to build a Tralee & Dingle 2-6-0 in 2mm, using a modified Marklin Z chassis.

As for the "King" running on a short length of track with a few coaches, I refer m'learned colleague to King George V during its sojourn at Bulmers...

Archived