What engine would you model?

-missy-

• RMweb Premium

L&Y 2-4-2 Tank... Eventually :D

Cheers

Simon

Simon,

Nick Mitchell and I have been working on an etched chassis for a L & Y 2-4-2 T. Which variation of body are you interested in? One loco I'd like to do in 2mm is a

Fowler 2-6-4 T, either cab version.

Nigel Hunt

• RMweb Premium

One loco I'd like to do in 2mm is a

Nigel Hunt

Nigel,

If Damien Johnson gets his act together then you may be able to build one from one of his projected kits:

http://www.twommlocomotives.co.uk/twommlocomotives.co.uk/Proposed_Kits_And_Products_For_2012.html

Although 2012 may be a tad optimistic . . .

David

• RMweb Premium

Simon,

Nick Mitchell and I have been working on an etched chassis for a L & Y 2-4-2 T. Which variation of body are you interested in? One loco I'd like to do in 2mm is a

Nigel Hunt

Hi - I didn't know there was different body variations, so I'm happy with any if it means a kit rather than scratchbuilding :D

I like the idea of a Fowler Tank too, I must get my 2mm head back on!

Cheers

Simon

EDIT - Now I've researched a bit deeper than "liking the one in the NRM" I think say round-topped boiler but either (or both) bunker type is ok with me :D

• 1 month later...

Something in Furness Indian Red. Possibly a Sharp Stewart or maybe a Baltic Tank.

Ok, for those who might be interested, I've been talking to Dragon Models about the possibility of producing 2mm scale versions of their etches for the small bogie Sharp Stewart 4-4-0 (as owned by the Cambrian and the Furness).

Likely cost is somewhere around £45 for a set of etches for the engine and the tender - other parts would have to be made or sourced elsewhere - but they'll only do it if I can generate enough interest for a minimum run of 10 sets of etches.

Can anybody who'd be interested in buying a set please send me a private message.

Thanks,

David V

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Gold

Wow, I have never seen anyone do a 4700 in N gauge before. Can you tell me anything about who made this and how please?

It was scratchbuilt by John Birkett-Smith - more details here  http://www.small-but-perfectly-formed.blogspot.co.uk/

If you see Totnes out and about it is usually rostered to the fitted freight.

John is now on RMWeb so I'm sure he'll give more details.

Jerry

It was scratchbuilt by John Birkett-Smith - more details here  http://www.small-but-perfectly-formed.blogspot.co.uk/

If you see Totnes out and about it is usually rostered to the fitted freight.

John is now on RMWeb so I'm sure he'll give more details.

Jerry

I'm sure he will, given he posted the photo in the first place!

This loco has featured in the 2mm Handbook in the past, as an example of how you do 2mm finescale scratchbuilding without soldering etched brass, using 3D printing or other fancy stuff. Body scratchbuilt in Plastikard! I've built locos using this in 4mm in the distant past, but they were rubbish compared to this.

Unless I am mistaken, a fine model of a Churchward 'intermediate' tender as well (or is it a rebuilt Dean 4000?).

Chris 

• RMweb Premium

Broad Gauge (but dont tell anyone)

Oh, yes. I can relate to that. About 30 years ago Paul Styles did some experimenting with 2mm fine scale broad gauge using, if I remember correctly, Sagami 1013 motors which fitted rather nicely with all that space between the frames. I don't think that Paul ever did any standard gauge as he built a 5mm? narrow gauge layout which had a certain amount of popularity in the 1980s. Paul, Stephen Harris and I used to meet up about once a month just so that I could goggle at what these two precocious modellers were producing!

In another thread on RM Web I confessed that my alter ego would probably abandon the late twentieth century and dive into the mid-nineteenth century but I fear that it may be getting too late for such a venture.

David

• RMweb Gold

I'd like to build one of the big Manning Wardle 0-6-0 saddletanks from Littleton Colliery, (Nos. 4 & 5), so if anyone knows of any decent drawings of them I would be very grateful.

Alex.

Alex, PM with your email address and I'll send you some scans of Littleton No.4 drawings.

Mark

About 30 years ago Paul Styles did some experimenting with 2mm fine scale broad gauge

This time frame would tie in to what has been mentioned by people in the Broad Gauge Society and others when I bring up 2mm BG. There were, I am told, some wheels and possible other items made and subsequently entrusted to a member for sale within the association and I wonder if anyone knows their current whereabouts? I would certainly like to get a hold of some if anyone would like to make space in their gloat boxes in exchange for beer tokens.

• RMweb Gold

During the mid 1980s, I recall a 2mm meeting in Bilston where Paul Styles brought along some nice modules which were about the size of an A4 sheet of paper and joined together to make some sort of industrial works scene. They were mixed standard & broad gauge if I remember correctly.

Then a year or so later, Paul exhibited his 5mm W&L diorama "Glastover" at Imrex at Wembley. Called Glastover as it was in a glass case... glassed over?!

Mark

• RMweb Premium

During the mid 1980s, I recall a 2mm meeting in Bilston where Paul Styles brought along some nice modules which were about the size of an A4 sheet of paper and joined together to make some sort of industrial works scene. They were mixed standard & broad gauge if I remember correctly.

Then a year or so later, Paul exhibited his 5mm W&L diorama "Glastover" at Imrex at Wembley. Called Glastover as it was in a glass case... glassed over?!

Mark

That small mixed gauge layout was exactly the one I was thinking about, Mark. I thought that the NG layout was on a coffee table but I had forgotten the terrible pun in the layout's name. I think that Paul gave up making models soon after and concentrated on making babies instead.

Each to his own . . .

David

• RMweb Gold

I think that Paul gave up making models soon after and concentrated on making babies instead.

Each to his own . . .

David

I found the two pastimes not to be mutually exclusive but that a shed became a crucial element......

Jerry

This time frame would tie in to what has been mentioned by people in the Broad Gauge Society and others when I bring up 2mm BG. There were, I am told, some wheels and possible other items made and subsequently entrusted to a member for sale within the association and I wonder if anyone knows their current whereabouts? I would certainly like to get a hold of some if anyone would like to make space in their gloat boxes in exchange for beer tokens.

Me too.

I want to model 2mm Baulk Road track work to the standard gauge (i.e. the broad gauge rail slewed across to the "narrow gauge" as happened in 1892 but lasted in places well past that date.

Ian

Archived