Class 8F test build

Chris Higgs

• 1 month later...

......That looks very good what scale is the model?

If it's Chris, then it's going to be 2mm FS.

This is shaping up to be the modern-day successor to the Mike Bryant etched 8F kit - itself a beautiful bit of design, well worth putting in a picture frame.

If it's Chris, then it's going to be 2mm FS.

This is shaping up to be the modern-day successor to the Mike Bryant etched 8F kit - itself a beautiful bit of design, well worth putting in a picture frame.

Yes, 2mm FS. Although it's not true I only do 2mm. I have some 4mm coach and DMU items on the cusp of completion.

You mean Mike Raithby though. Mike Bryant did a whole bunch of important 2mm stuff, but not the 8F.

Chris

When I first viewed the topic, I had just clicked on the link on the main forum page to get to it so I did not see that it was in the 2mm section until after I had posted my question.

I must say that now knowing that the model is 2mm what an excellent piece of work you are doing there Chris.

Pete

When I first viewed the topic, I had just clicked on the link on the main forum page to get to it so I did not see that it was in the 2mm section until after I had posted my question.

I must say that now knowing that the model is 2mm what an excellent piece of work you are doing there Chris.

Pete

Many thanks. Of course, the CAD is no more difficult than for any other scale, but putting it together is quite challenging. And photographing it more so in my case.

Chris

• 3 years later...

Hi Chris I noticed on the 2mm web site it recommends using a different chassis to that supplied with the kit is there another one available

Regards

John

Do you mean this?

"Note this is a very old design, by Mike Raithby. Construction of a tapered boiler and rectangular firebox from sheet is a complicated process, and it is suggested that more recent chassis designs are considerably simpler to assemble."

This is about the Raithby 8F, not my later version, and suggests the chassis is not so simple to build as that of more recent kits. For example it probably is designed to use gears no longer available. Nigel Hunt can probably comment better on exactly what might be required.

The text is not suggesting there is an alternative chassis available for the 8F - there is not. (For the 4F however, there is, it is item 3-651.) It is more commenting on the fact this is perhaps not the best place to start for your first ever loco build.

Chris

Hi so you do an 8f kit

Yes, most of this thread is about it. You can see pictures etc by reading the previous posts.

However, 'did' is more accurate than 'do'. This was all about 4 years ago now. I came across a couple of sets of the etchings tidying up a week ago. Its only for the loco - you can buy Stanier tenders from the Association as and when they have them  items 3-603 etc. And I would have to check whether I still have any of the boiler castings. I had been thinking about doing a 3D printed version of the boiler but it's about half way down a long to-do list.

EDIT: looks like I have one boiler left.

Chris

Hi Chris if it's possible I would like one are you goingto the AGM

Also is there a chassis etch

John

I have sent you an email with details of the kit. I am not planning on being at the AGM

The chassis is included, and is very similar in style to the etched replacement chassis done by the Association. However this thread was mostly about building the body.

• RMweb Premium

Chris, if you were to do a 3d printed boiler that would be excellent. The chopped down black five boiler is definitely the weak point of the kit compared with the lovely cab and running plate etch.

Simon

Chris, if you were to do a 3d printed boiler that would be excellent. The chopped down black five boiler is definitely the weak point of the kit compared with the lovely cab and running plate etch.

Simon

It will of course have issues with weight - I am thinking of it being hollow with the ability to fill it with a tungsten plug. The 3D geometry is a bit daunting though, most definitely a stepup from Class 08 footplates or LNWR wagon bodies!

This issue is often seen. I have Bob's 9F kit with an exquisite resin boiler casting, or the alternative of a much less defined but heavier whitemetal version.

Chris

It will of course have issues with weight - I am thinking of it being hollow with the ability to fill it with a tungsten plug. The 3D geometry is a bit daunting though, most definitely a stepup from Class 08 footplates or LNWR wagon bodies!

This issue is often seen. I have Bob's 9F kit with an exquisite resin boiler casting, or the alternative of a much less defined but heavier whitemetal version.

Chris

Perhaps a reissue of your 8f kit would go down well, and if it came with a 3D printed boiler and the original cast one it would give builders a similar choice as with Bob's 9f.

Stephen

The 3D geometry is a bit daunting though, most definitely a stepup from Class 08 footplates or LNWR wagon bodies!

Perhaps it is not so difficult as I thought. Just needed to choose my weapon carefully. This is done using Rhino 3D which the pros recommend. I have 90 days of free use before having to fork out a king's ransom to continue.

The picture is not to scale for an 8F, just proving the concept of projecting the appropriate curves.

Next up is rounding the front of the firebox, and putting rivet detail on the smokebox. The Rhino manual suggests there are easy ways to do both.

post-1605-0-49444500-1476733596_thumb.jpg

Archived