The human side of the railway...

49 years ago yesterday.

Health and Safety issues ?

http://www.flickr.com/search/?w=55350440@N06&q=44759

In 1959, aged nine-and-three-quarters I used to cycle N. Camp station to look at trains. Harry the signalman [he always seemed to be on day-turn] let me into the box with the tacit permission of the Station Master [Mr Robinson?]. After a while I and spent so long there my Dad came down to check there was no 'funny business' going on. I became useful enough to be given an orange weskit and elementary safety training and I'd wander around doing errands and cabbing the Q1 [30001] that was often around. I came to know the time table, warning bells etc.

When in the box I'd pull the gate lock and stand on an upturned 'Lucozade' crate to polish things with 'Duraglit'. I didn't encourage any chums to tag along, it was my 'grown-up' place, and with a bucket of wedges and a long handled hammer I'd potter about replacing split ones which came back to the cabin and the ticket office for firelighting.

I don't think I caused anyone to fear for my safety barring the time I fell off the cattle/horse-dock rails onto the track splitting my lip, and it was only my elevation to Farnborough Grammar School, a developing interest in aero-modelling and Army cadets that gradually seduced me away from the railway. [You go to fire guns in the Cadets]

I appreciate that nowadays comparatively silent locomotives could be on you before you realised, and that colour light signals don't grind and squeak a warning, I feel nostalgic for those halcyon yet decidedly grubby days and have a certain pity for todays lads who have no opportunity to grow up in a similar 'independant' way.

Doug

• Like 12

These came from my Great-Great Uncle (the tall man in the hat), who worked as a cleaner at Caerphilly Works until closure and indeed, apart from myself, is the only known member of my family to have worked for the railway. These date from the late 40's (the first two) up to the last two - featuring the works foreman - which were taken with the last loco to leave the site in 1963. In all of them you can sense the camaraderie and their pride in their job. I'm very fond of these images...

Cracking photos, very nice indeed, look after them.

cheers

• Like 1

Have a rummage through the whole site it really is worth it...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/52087249@N07/8533782951/

Thanks for posting that link ,although the quality is variable in some shots, that is a superb collection.

They are just pictures of everyday railway life, that mostly went unrecorded. There are some fantastic detail shots in there.

cheers

30452_1523259321139_922882_n_zps403ebbd7

I worked with Colin several times, a nice helpful chap.

He was well pleased when I repaired and re-opened the Dn Independent Sidings 5 and 6 at Rugby, which had been OOU for some time because of rotten sleepers. As I wanted to put a spoil train in there while I relayed the Dn Independent Goods. He asked me if it would go back to being OOU afterwards, as having a siding on that side saved him some shunting across to the Up side.

Some years later I had to reload some switches in the Up Yard at Rugby that had come the wrong way round, and were needed for installation that night at Watford. I won't say it was considered urgent but I don't think many wagons were loaded by a Railtrack manager assisted by an top grade relaying supervisor.

We got a 360' machine in turned the switches, loaded them back up, strapped them down and I signed my life away on the labels. We knew time was tight so as soon as I had the labels on the wagon, I gave the driver a wave and as arranged he drew up to the signal and got on the phone to Rugby PSB.

Who said sorry but we are not going to run a class 7 like you this close to the rush hour. Having worked my socks off reloading the wagon I was a little less than pleased by this. While the somewhat gleefull driver was laying his tea and sandwiches out on the cabin table, and getting ready to put his feet up.

So I used Colins phone to ring the rather senior manager who had sent me there, telling him what had happened and that Colin had confirmed that the train could actually run as a class 6. Minutes later the phone rang Colin answered and it was Rugby PSB saying that they had changed their mind, and could the now rather surprised driver be ready to run the train ASAP or sooner.

The driver packed all his snap away again at warp speed, and headed off for the south. Probably still wondering what sort of PW wagon checker had that much clout with control.

We then had a sit down and a laugh about the drivers expression as his early break came to such a sudden end.

Last wagon I ever loaded as my examiners ticket expired the next day, and Railtrack did not seem to think that was a needed qualification for one of their managers.

• Like 4

No pics, just a few more memories:

my regular mate at KX was Ron "Brusher" Warren. He started as a cleaner at Hatfield just after the war and rapidly progressed to driver at KX after Hatfield shed closed. I worked with him in 2 link, 1977/78, mostly doing ECS and a couple of days to Leeds every week.

At Donny, we were usually met by a group of yoofs, some of them asked "can we cabbit". Ron used to ask if they talked funny. "No we don't taark fooni" (Yorkshire accent). He'd then ask "do you catch a bus or a boos". "Oh, we catch a boos". "I spose you have a baaarf", "no we have a bath" (Yorkshire accent again)....

sometimes they's try to do a paper rubbing of the nameplate if we were on a Deltic, and they'd produce a 20' roll of wallpaper! Another time we had 3 or 4 cabbits on a 47. Just as they got on, we got "right away" and went right away...to Leeds! Complete with cabbits!

That's when the kids asked "ow d'we get back?" "That's YOUR problem" says Ron, as we had a long break before we worked the 1700 back! Happy days...

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Whilst waiting for a Network Rail test train (top and tail ED's) to come through I momentarily zoomed right down the line towards Barnham Station where the 'Orange Wombles' as they are known to some local train crew were at work on the junction.

post-6910-0-54159600-1372363977_thumb.jpg

• Like 5

• RMweb Premium

Whilst waiting for a Network Rail test train (top and tail ED's) to come through I momentarily zoomed right down the line towards Barnham Station where the 'Orange Wombles' as they are known to some local train crew were at work on the junction.

100_2687.JPG

Orange wombles, I like it - though I'm not sure what my colleagues at Barnham might make of the term. Edited by phil-b259

... 'Orange Wombles' ...

I've heard "traffic wombles" for the Highways Agency staff who patrol motorways in vehicles that look a bit like police cars - the implication being that all they do is pick up rubbish off the hard shoulder.

A photo I've posted elsewhere but, hopefully, not on here is this one that shows my late uncle, Stan Matthews, in the cab of a UP diesel Ca 1970.

Stan was a Brakeman and the photo was taken in Las Vegas before leaving for Los Angeles; a return trip he told me took a week.

post-6748-0-43863000-1372877137.jpg

• Like 10

• RMweb Premium

Relaying the up line just north of Whalley station - November 2008

Love the guy holding back the digger with his leg........

post-408-0-13149300-1372881846_thumb.jpg

Cheers,

Mick

• Like 5