The human side of the railway...

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Younger than usual spotters at Eastleigh on Friday, watching and filming 66745 on 4Y19, Mountfield Sidings to Southampton W. Docks. These guys were about 17, unlike the usual, somewhat older, enthusiasts here.

post-4634-0-84069500-1437303510_thumb.jpg

Pete

• Like 8

Recently rediscovered in an old family photo album, this snap of a group of NBR employees posing with NBR B class No. 848. This loco was built in 1906 and later became LNER/BR J35 No.s 9848, 4460, 64460 and was withdrawn in 1959.

The young man 5th from left is my Great Grandfather, John Stevenson.

post-9382-0-73018900-1437574681_thumb.jpg

• Like 15

• RMweb Premium

Are they buffers, on the front of the APT.

and if so, why does the left one ,look like its twisted. compered to the right one ?

The left hand buffer is in a vertical postion so that the lower the front cowling for streamlined services. The buffers are of the oval style.

They were stowed in a vertical position so the nose fairing would fit over them, when needed the nose was raised and the buffers were pulled out (I think) and then rotated 90* to lock them in the working position.

Similar was done to the 325s when they were loco hauled using a screw coupling.

Crew change somewhere between Krakow and Lodz, Poland

post-14887-0-65157600-1437850911.jpg

Things were running a bit late and I'm not so sure this was the normal changeover point.

Andy

• Like 7

• RMweb Gold

Spit and polish for No. 1 Bonnie Prince Charlie at the Great Western Society's Didcot Railway Centre on 26th July 2015.

• Like 5

• 2 weeks later...

Having a clear out I came across htis little gem from the September '69 issue of 'Railway Magazine', it relates to Dilton March Halt on the Westbury to Salisbury route...

RM%20September%201969%20Dilton%20Marsh%2

Worth a mention also for the mix of 'British Railways' WR enamel header and the new 'corporate identity' rail alphabet...

• Like 10