The human side of the railway...

These two have already appeared on an earlier thread I started but they fit the bill here as well, taken on the Rheine - Emden line in West Germany in August 1974:

1) 012 061-8 at Lingen after we had alighted from a northbound express. The lady with the shopping does not seem very impressed with the Pacific waiting for the 'off'.

2) Engine crew of 012 082-4 at Rheine waiting to take over from an electric loco.

Trevor 

post-24907-0-50858600-1507669420_thumb.jpg

post-24907-0-83034800-1507669468_thumb.jpg

• Like 7

• RMweb Gold

That what I was thinking Russ. Perhaps fitted in case the loco was in need of rescue on the Whitby workings?

In think the J27 had one but painted correctly

I don't think its for Whitby as the stock is vac more likely so it can be hauled with brake force vehicles

Something tells me its a through pipe painted the wrong colour! If it was an air braked loco it should have a main res pipe too

Not necessarily. The resevoir pipe is an option to speed up release process. Single pipe working is ok. GE locos were air fitted on a single pipe system as are the IoW railway

• RMweb Gold

Not necessarily. The resevoir pipe is an option to speed up release process. Single pipe working is ok. GE locos were air fitted on a single pipe system as are the IoW railway

I know what you are saying but if it had been air braked for today's railway it would have a main res pipe

I know what you are saying but if it had been air braked for today's railway it would have a main res pipe

The problem I have found is total lack of info on braking system fitted on any loco. Data sheets have every piece of info bar brakes. It is annoying. What is even more anoying is that I was at Whitby recentlly and could have checked but didnt give it a thought and it was the B1 which hauled the train to Pickering

If it is a through pipe it should be painted white to indicate this; red if brakes on the locomotive are operated by the through system by the locomotive at the head of the train (or assisting in rear).

It is a through pipe, trust me, I work with it 5 days a week, it should be painted white but people largely have other things to do than worry about the colour of a small air tap.  There are no air brakes on that loco.

• RMweb Gold

Should really be painted especially if it goes on the mainline, there was once a near runaway not far from there because a cock was the wrong colour, the one at the back wasn't though but the guard missed that along with the fact that the blocks hadn't touched the wheels!

• RMweb Gold

Exactly; this is very basic safety and there is little excuse for getting it wrong if a potential mistake can be made.  If people have other things to worry about than the colour of a small air tap and the pipe it connects to, then their supervisors or somebody of equal responsibility are remiss in not ensuring that they do not have other things to worry about.  Safety is a culture and a priority, and while this might look like nit picking, I would remind you of a comment made to me by my Guard's inspector when he passed me out on Rules and Regulations, that 'every one of these rules has a bucket of blood on the end of it'. He was a cheery sort of cove, but he wasn't smiling when he said that!

The NYMR does not use air braked stock, it wouldn't be used in their day to day operation or at all, even if the loco fails we have to supply our own rescue locos which are vac braked.  It's not going to cause some sort of hideous incident where a train f.ucks off on its own on a vac only railway.

When it goes elsewhere on the network that's between the B1 trust and the operator.

Edited by Boris

When it goes elsewhere on the network that's between the B1 trust and the operator.

That may very well be true but it's not hard to envisage a situation where the B1 has failed on the mainline and has to be dragged at the end of an air-braked train with the crew not realising that it is unbraked. It could roll away dangerously if the coupling parted. Everybody has a moral duty - when not a legal one - to make these unsafe conditions known before there is an accident. Whilst such a scenario is unlikely, it is not impossible and would seriously damage the ability of operators of heritage vehicles to persuade the powers that be that they know what they are doing.

Does anyone have a contact details for the responsible person at the B1 Trust?

• RMweb Gold

'Where it goes elsewhere on the network that's between the B1 trust and the owner'.  Not my fault, mate, someone else's job; works fine here where there are no air brakes.  But nobody responsible has determined whose job it is, and nothing is ever going to go wrong because nothing ever has yet, right?

This is deeply and dangerously flawed thinking, suggests to me more than just a wrongly painted pipe on a loco, not in itself a big issue or a disaster waiting to happen, but this very complacency is itself the danger; it is indicative of a safety culture of 'good enough, never been trouble before' which when you are running heavy lumps of steel that take half a mile to stop about the place has an unfortunate tendency to produce people who turn up at the Inquiry and say that they never thought it could happen...

Safety on a full size railway is a deadly serious business and cannot be messed about with or taken lightly

Edited by The Johnster

The NYMR does not use air braked stock, it wouldn't be used in their day to day operation or at all, even if the loco fails we have to supply our own rescue locos which are vac braked.  It's not going to cause some sort of hideous incident where a train f.ucks off on its own on a vac only railway.

Isn't the NYMR now a mainline operator, using the B1 over the national network on Whitby services?

Edited by Christopher125
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Is that a through air pipe fitted to the B1? Visible adjacent to the right hand buffer?

Confusion reigns. During my recent visit I saw the pipe and thought the B1 had air-brakes. Looking at my photos the front cock is red but the lever on the tender cock looks as if it is white.

Recipe for a cock-up.

Does anyone have a contact details for the responsible person at the B1 Trust?

The photograph was taken over two and half years ago. It may be the correct colour now?

Humour alert:

"Never in the topic of the human side of the railways was so much hot air expelled by so many about a red painted cock (Air) in preservation, to so few."

Whinestone Chaplebank 2017

How about 'people in the urban landscape with a train going past'? - It has to be deliberate or it doesn't count(!)

This was a Southbound HST near the site of Bensham station in Gateshead in 1985. The train is going over an underpass known locally as 'dead man's arch'!

Trevor

post-24907-0-44948100-1508095975_thumb.jpg

Edited by Trev52A
  • Like 19