The human side of the railway...

• RMweb Gold

Returning to the war memorials theme for a moment, I remember my father, then Vicar of Highbridge, being involved with the rededication of the S&DJR War Memorial, when, as the closure of the line approached, it was moved to a site, in Southwell Gardens, just off Highbridge's Church Street. This website says that it was moved from the works, but I seem to remember it on the end of the S&D station building - in fact I have just found a photo of it there in the Middleton Press Burnham to Evercreech Junction volume. The station location was obviously chosen when the works closed, but I don't know the exact date. Not only does the memorial remember the 13 S&DJR employees who lost their lives, but the other 153 who fought and often suffered great hardships and injuries, while serving.

https://www.warmemorialsonline.org.uk/memorial/99400/

• Like 2

Talk of conflict memorials prompts me to ask the assembled, are there such erected or placed at locations unfortunate enough to suffer peace time civilian railway casualties? (I'm rather ashamed to ask such a question actually, priding myself with [a modicum of] knowledge on many matters railway).

I'm more than familiar with named locomotives such as Benjamin Gimbert, James Nightall (in WW2 yes) and Barry Needham, but wondered if there was any reminders at Potters Bar, Southall etc?

Genuine question, though I could see why the public relations people at various organisations would baulk at reminders to passengers of lapsed railway safety (by whatever means).

C6T.

there is one for the Penmanshiel tunnel collapse

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Penmanshiel_Tunnel#Tunnel_collapse

• RMweb Gold

If one searches online, particularly in Google images, it seems relatively easy to find memorials for major disasters like Southall and Ladbroke Grove. Smaller events, especially on lines that have now closed, may be more down to local knowledge, but you never know with search-engines what you will find.

• RMweb Gold

There are a large number of memorials around the country. At Kirkby Stephen church there is a grave and memorial to the victims of the 1913 Ais Gill disaster. At Tebay there is a plaque to four track workers killed by a runaway during a possession. In the churchyard next to the line near Bromsgrove station are the graves of a train crew killed by a boiler explosion in IIRC 1840.

Edited by TheSignalEngineer

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Token exchange.

post-414-0-34832500-1523820051.jpg

D9009 Alycidon approaching Ramsbottom station on 14th April 2018.  The Deltic, together with 50015, were playing a supporting role at the '40s at 60' event at the East Lancashire Railway.  There's a separate thread for the event here;

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/133227-40s-at-60-on-the-elr-14-and-15-april/?p=3127203 

• Like 5

There are a large number of memorials around the country. At Kirkby Stephen church there is a grave and memorial to the victims of the 1913 Ais Gill disaster. At Tebay there is a plaque to four track workers killed by a runaway during a possession. In the churchyard next to the line near Bromsgrove station are the graves of a train crew killed by a boiler explosion in IIRC 1840.

A WW2 period one from my old PW maintenance area that has been recently upgraded and will also give access to an interesting website generally

https://www.warmemorialsonline.org.uk/memorial/190643/

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Don't drop it !

Battle of Britain 34053 'Sir Keith Park' eases out of Swanage on 10th May 2018.

post-414-0-39473800-1525986181_thumb.jpg

• Like 7

• RMweb Gold

Waiting for the road.

The driver of 33111 waits time and the road at Harmans Cross on 11th May 2018 during the Swanage Railway's 2018 Diesel Gala.

post-414-0-48643100-1526330062.jpg

• Like 5

• RMweb Gold

How times change.

post-414-0-34761500-1526386941_thumb.jpg

Photo taken at Swanage railway station on 11th May 2018.  I'm assuming that the poster is a reproduction of an original.

• Like 11