The human side of the railway...

Beatle George and Beatle John boarding the 'Maharishi Express' to Bangor at Euston on Friday, 25th August 1967, amid all the curfuffle the train crew of the AL6 who brought the stock in look on in slight bemusement...

post-7638-0-40984500-1530279380_thumb.jpg

post-7638-0-91017700-1530279403_thumb.jpg

post-7638-0-96227000-1530279801.jpg

I've yet to see any colour images taken there that day, with the shiny blue AL6 and the Fabs flowery get up it must have been quite a sight to behold. Also aboard the train were Mick Jagger and Mariane Faithful, the Maharishi himself in fully robed little guru clobber plus about three hundred of his faithful followers in their Carnaby Street finery!

Edited by Rugd1022
  • Like 6

Bah.... missed this one off mid edit...!

Beatle John strides towards the train, leaving wife Cynthia behind with the luggage, she was held back by a big burley Rozzer just as the train started moving away...

post-7638-0-26047800-1530280142.jpg

Somewhere online their are (or were) several photos of them arriving at Bangor station but I can't seem to find them! 

Edit - just found the news footage...

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=the+beatles+at+bangor+station+august+1967&&view=detail&mid=3935146DBE30A56B1F063935146DBE30A56B1F06&&FORM=VRDGAR

Edited by Rugd1022
  • Like 5

• RMweb Premium

In August 1981 BR ran a couple of Sunday specials from Edinburgh to Oban using Deltic 55021. This photo was taken on Sunday 9th August.   On the way to Oban, the train picked up an Eastfield driver at Springburn to act as conductor to the Haymarket crew from Springburn to Oban.  The Eastfield driver (in the driver's seat) on that occasion ended up driving the deltic from Glasgow to Oban and return. It was such a lovely day all the passengers enjoyed their trip to Oban and all for 5 pounds per person. I was also lucky enough to get to travel on the loco on both occasions.

attachicon.gifBR-128.jpg

Found another photo with the Eastfield conductor driver at the controls of 55021 9th May 1981.

post-7619-0-85669700-1530342786_thumb.jpg

• Like 7

• RMweb Premium

Class 37 37262 and 37156 on Hunterston to Ravenscraig steel works January/February 1982.  37262 was on test as it had just been uprated to 2000 HP.  Motherwell driver in charge.  

post-7619-0-80438700-1530343111_thumb.jpg

post-7619-0-73853800-1530343148_thumb.jpg

post-7619-0-24026600-1530343189_thumb.jpg

• Like 6

• RMweb Premium

Was the 2000hp loco also fitted with ETH? Seem to remember there was a loco experimentally fitted in the early 80s

No ETH on 37262 - This loco was uprated for the Hunterston iron ore trains.  IIRC the modification was done using class 50 fuel pumps.

• RMweb Premium

Thought it was 37292 that was the 2000hp machine? Or were there others?

I don't know about any other class 37 locos being uprated to 2000HP. No. 37262 was the only one I recall of the locos used on the Hunterston iron ore trains so treated.  I do recall on this loco, which was on test at the time, that its exhaust pipes were glowing orange when the loco was working hard much more so than the other non-uprated class 37s on these workings.

Edited by 64B

• RMweb Gold

The cab looks on its last legs surprised the unions did not complain about it .

Quite normal for the time especially if it was a Gateshead loco. Their 37s used to always be filthy in the cabs.

Some DB locos I've been on in recent years are possibly worse ones involved with the remaining coal traffic being the worst

Edited by russ p

• RMweb Gold

Quite normal for the time especially if it was a Gateshead loco. Their 37s used to always be filthy in the cabs.

Some DB locos I've been on in recent years are possibly worse ones involved with the remaining coal traffic being the worst

Not any better in my time at Canton in the 70s.  The problem, largely, was that many locomen were heavy smokers, hence the tobacco stain all over everything, and few bothered using, never mind emptying, the ashtrays; keeping things clean seemed to be regarded as someone else's job by the same men who complained about the mess they themselves were making!  Fag ends were everywhere and every corner was blocked with ash.  An interesting anomaly was the 37s used on  the triple headed Port Talbot/Llanwern iron ore trains; the 'inward' cabs would be filthy on the outside, but spotless inside.

And before anyone has a go at me for attacking enginemen, as a guard I'd have to in all fairness say that the state some of us left brake vans in was not exactly salubrious either

Some things are better than they were in the good old days...

Edited by The Johnster
  • Like 1

I used to make a bit of an effort when prepping a loco, as a young 2nd man at Coalville it didn't take much extra effort just to have a sweep round the cab. Mind you I can think of one heavy smoking driver who's car resembled an ashtray on wheels, the sight of his Triumph Toledo in summer, windows open, driving into Mantle lane in a cloud of fag ash! Want to know how long he'd been playing cards, count the dog ends under his seat. In winter you didn't throw out the newspapers since it would be used as draft proving, oh happy days.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I used to make an effort if I was acting secondmanning off shed, and in a cab I would be backcabbing in; Canton running shed had a cubby hole next door to the formema's office with brushes and pans, and I'd sweep the cab and empty the ashtrays both ends, then fill the tea can from the boiler next to the cubby on the shed wall for our tea.  Single manned = Guard's tea leaving shed, Driver's at destination.  I do not recall any appreciation of my cleaning efforts from drivers, and everybody thought I was a bit mad to bother.

This was, I suppose, part of the low morale. and general ennui, that pervaded the railway in those days.  Loco staff at least by and large refrained from football graffiti in cabs, which is more than I could claim for my fellow guards; I never properly understood why anyone would want to trash their own working environment (and mine, the b*stards )in this way.  But one has to take into account that many of them had seen their railway decimated, their jobs threatened on all sides, status lost, future career plans scuppered, and tradition flushed down the pan in the decade following Beeching; BR made increasing losses every year, traffic was lost on a daily basis to road transport or the private car as the government made cash available to extend the motorway network from cancelled electrification projects, while the railway became a media laughing stock.  Why bother, who gives a f...

You couldn't get away from being constantly reminded of it anywhere.  Abandoned overgrown trackbeds and sidings, derelict steam age buildings, housing estates where marshalling yards used to be, rust, neglect, vandalism, and Barry scrapyard.  Many of these things still exist, but the buddlea forests hide them better now.  A current era BLT in the 70s and 80s would have been something like Coryton or, worse, Bute Road; on road in and the same road out and a bare platform; shelters and ticket booths re-appeared in the 90s, so not much inspiration for a layout or anything else.

If anything, one needs to be surprised at the enthusiasm and commitment of those who worked on the railway in those days.  On top of everything, real value pay rates were falling and working conditions had deteriorated in Victorian buildings and infrastructure; where modern facilities were provided they were often bleak, soulless, and inconveniently located. 

This was, I suppose, part of the low morale. and general ennui, that pervaded the railway in those days.  Loco staff at least by and large refrained from football graffiti in cabs, which is more than I could claim for my fellow guards; I never properly understood why anyone would want to trash their own working environment (and mine, the b*stards )in this way.  But one has to take into account that many of them had seen their railway decimated, their jobs threatened on all sides, status lost, future career plans scuppered, and tradition flushed down the pan in the decade following Beeching; BR made increasing losses every year, traffic was lost on a daily basis to road transport or the private car as the government made cash available to extend the motorway network from cancelled electrification projects, while the railway became a media laughing stock.  Why bother, who gives a f...

You couldn't get away from being constantly reminded of it anywhere.  Abandoned overgrown trackbeds and sidings, derelict steam age buildings, housing estates where marshalling yards used to be, rust, neglect, vandalism, and Barry scrapyard.  Many of these things still exist, but the buddlea forests hide them better now.  A current era BLT in the 70s and 80s would have been something like Coryton or, worse, Bute Road; on road in and the same road out and a bare platform; shelters and ticket booths re-appeared in the 90s, so not much inspiration for a layout or anything else.

Which all largely and eloquently explains why I left the railway. The dereliction, the wasted resources, the management that was determined to close whatever it could; it all made me permanently angry, and that's no way to live your life.

Saturday 26/2/77...

attachicon.gifCutting%201%20Custom%20Size.jpg

Euston, 28/9/86, Drivers Bob Hart and Melvyn Tweets of Crewe... 

attachicon.gifFB Euston 280986 Bob Hart & Melvyn Tweets Crewe.jpg

Hi There,

The picture of the drivers and class 25's have made me smile somewhat!

I occasionally worked along side Bob Hart for about 15 years from about 1995 onwards when he was very often traction inspector aboard Riley's locomotives and others that were operated by Riley's at that time on jobs out of Crewe. However the first time I encountered him was on a positioning move between Carnforth and Crewe via Helified, Blackburn, Man Vic, Stockport, Chester and finally Crewe, he was fireman onward from Bolton but let me have a go for my first time out on the main line between Stockport and Crewe. I can't remember who the inspector was that day but the driver was Ray 'Panky' Hatton and the locomotive was some big green LNER thing with a tender that allowed access to fresh brewed tea and cooked dinners.

Happy days.

Gibbo.

• Like 3