The human side of the railway...

Standard spelling on all the enamelled notices.  I think it only became 'shown' on notices produced in the standard black & white rail alphabet style, it had definitely been continued on some of the new 1950s enamel notices.

Also often seen on the key panel of older railway drawings  'Up Lines shewn as =====' , and even recently still occasionally used if only to annoy the younger generation.

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

They way they used words was different in the olden days, as well as the spelling.  I well remember a Victorian cast Iron gents on Preston station, probably long gone now, in 1968 that had an LNWR cast notice stating that 'Gentlemen adjust your dress before leaving'.  Was this a prescient exhortation to the modern cross dressing fraternity, who pass through on their way to their various events in Blackpool, or was it a Victorian definition of a gentleman, 'one who adjusts his dress before leaving'.  Was there a similar exhortation in the ladies?

These are the sort of questions that make life just that little bit more interesting, aren't they.  Others include:-

. What are occasional tables the rest of the time?

. Has Bill Posters been prosecuted yet?

. Is there a sale at Allied Carpets? 

. Have part time traffic signals declared their earnings to the DWP?

• Funny 1

They way they used words was different in the olden days, as well as the spelling.  I well remember a Victorian cast Iron gents on Preston station, probably long gone now, in 1968 that had an LNWR cast notice stating that 'Gentlemen adjust your dress before leaving'.  Was this a prescient exhortation to the modern cross dressing fraternity, who pass through on their way to their various events in Blackpool, or was it a Victorian definition of a gentleman, 'one who adjusts his dress before leaving'.  Was there a similar exhortation in the ladies?

These are the sort of questions that make life just that little bit more interesting, aren't they.  Others include:-

. What are occasional tables the rest of the time?

. Has Bill Posters been prosecuted yet?

. Is there a sale at Allied Carpets? 

. Have part time traffic signals declared their earnings to the DWP?

Hi Johnster,

The sign that make me smile says, "Closed for essential repairs".

This always makes me wonder, do they ever do repairs just for the fun of It ?

Gibbo.

• Like 1

I think it is his cap yes, but Biggs had nothing to do with assaulting Driver Mills, he was sitting in one of the gang's two Landrovers at the time and never entered the cab of D326. It was Buster Edwards who koshed him over the back of the head.

The witness naming Buster Edwards was unreliable,  for many years Buster Edwards ran a flower stall outside Waterloo Station,   in 1994 he was  found dead by hanging in a lockup within the Leake Street railway arches, Leake St being the  dark and gloomy access  road which runs underneath the country end of the platforms of Waterloo Station.

Edited by Pandora
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Gold

Were is Not in Service almost every bus I see is going there.

Says India on the tyres but it doesn't go there, either.

Severn Tunnel's under water, you know...

Edited by The Johnster
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Gold
6 hours ago, Mike Storey said:

In those days, you probably didn't pay extra for taking a trunk.

Unless it was PLA (Ha!! Who remembers that then???)

6 hours ago, Mike Storey said:

I think it's near Railway Replacement Service, on the coast...

It says India on the tyres, but the bus doesn't go there either....

• Like 1
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Gold
On 19/02/2019 at 19:32, Mike Storey said:

In those days, you probably didn't pay extra for taking a trunk.

Unless it was PLA (Ha!! Who remembers that then???)

Plus of course DL and CL (probably even less remembered than PLA?).  I do believe somewhere - unless it was thrown out a good while back we might even have something with one of those labels on it.

Edited by The Stationmaster
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

In this case the human side of the heritage railway...

"Turn it on !"

The crew of British Railways 2MT 78018 topping up the tender at Ramsbottom station on 11th March 2019 during a photo charter organised by the 3P20 Parcels Group...

1003097838_FillerupRamsbottom11032019-RMweb.jpg.e30776affc72da0eb84881f4897111c4.jpg

...after which there was time for the Guard and Fireman to share a joke.

752048261_SharingajokeRamsbottom11032019-RMweb.jpg.8d830f00a25b37d54121d4b5607f98f4.jpg

Other photos of 78018 from the charter are available here.

• Like 6

On 12/03/2019 at 21:50, 4630 said:

In this case the human side of the heritage railway...

"Turn it on !"

The crew of British Railways 2MT 78018 topping up the tender at Ramsbottom station on 11th March 2019 during a photo charter organised by the 3P20 Parcels Group...

1003097838_FillerupRamsbottom11032019-RMweb.jpg.e30776affc72da0eb84881f4897111c4.jpg

Why is it that I can tell this is recent (without reading the words or seeing the watermark)?

There is nothing in the image out of place but I know it's modern, is it just that HD imagery is taken that it so obvious?