• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Some from Dresden Altstadt depot, April 2016:

"Pass the big hammer"

P1010539.jpg.f642a9af1e2e6ec29d65da380314bc41.jpg

Some cheerful Czechs:

P1010557.jpg.cd476a51ccda00d9e7fcb9a5957b25a5.jpg

P1010567.jpg.95f4a4351b3773fe427fadb1378e6f0f.jpg

The man with the dirtiest job on the railway?

P1010563.jpg.dbb38036299198d0058d1970c92f358e.jpg

• Like 12

• 2 weeks later...

Porthmadoc. April'19.  Credit where its due, so often unseen and a thankless task. Every day and out early despite the weather the 'Ffesty Ladies' get the cold water hose pipes and long brushes out and scrub the coaches down before the days runnings.

2019-04-05_09_26_30.jpg

2019-04-05_09_26_23.jpg

• Like 11

• RMweb Gold

It takes all sorts to run a railway. Here at Gare du Nord, Paris, a couple of hours ago, the containers of lunches - including mine! - have just come through the security gate onto the bonded Eurostar platform. Here the driver of the tow-tractor is having to open the containers to satisfy the security geezer that no illegal emigrant is hiding therein.

AC22FA30-0A8D-496C-A598-BE6217E7B515.jpeg.fc8e1c85d8954aaa0f939d61f4082f70.jpeg 

• Like 14

• RMweb Gold
10 minutes ago, lmsforever said:

My favourite station on the SVR its in lovely setting and the pub down the lane.

Indeed. Here is another view. The bridge leads to the fiddle yard:

arley_signal1_12_05_2019_1856x1044.jpg

Martin.

• Like 7
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 3

35 minutes ago, Rugd1022 said:

Photo c/o Kevin Atherfold : one of Old Oak's finest, Derek 'Fangs' Dyer making out his Driver's ticket at Padd in the '80s...

Old Oak FANGS Kevin Atherfold.jpg

Fascinating - I worked for Ben Dyer, who had been a driver at Old Oak (in fact, he and his wife still lived in one of railway cottages nearby) when he had become Station Manager for part of the Medway Area, in the early 80's. He told us he had a relation who was still a driver there (I cannot remember whether it was son, nephew, brother or what), so I guess this "Derek" must be him.

• Like 3
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
15 hours ago, Mike Storey said:

Fascinating - I worked for Ben Dyer, who had been a driver at Old Oak (in fact, he and his wife still lived in one of railway cottages nearby) when he had become Station Manager for part of the Medway Area, in the early 80's. He told us he had a relation who was still a driver there (I cannot remember whether it was son, nephew, brother or what), so I guess this "Derek" must be him.

Almost certainly one and the same Mike as I know Derek had a relative somewhere over on the Southern.   Pete might be able to confirm?

Edited by The Stationmaster
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold
22 hours ago, lmsforever said:

Is the fidddleyard a turntable one?

I checked with Bridgnorth, and they say yes.

Here is the driver checking that the turntable track is correctly aligned:

arley_signal2_12_05_2019_1424x1044.jpg

The moulded detail on the siphon is excellent, although I think the decal transfer needs toning down a bit, and the roof is too clean. Also something seems to have gone wrong with the paint finish on the loco -- two different batches of Humbrol?

Martin.

• Like 7
  • Funny 6

• RMweb Gold
On 14/05/2019 at 19:45, Mike Storey said:

Ben had been SM at Gillingham (Kent not Dorset) in the 70s, and lived w wife Pat in Acton, which was a bit of a stretch for on-call, especially working for AM Tom Cliffe! Last I heard of him he was on the Orpington Area team, mid-80s, under the excellent David Jones, sometime SM at Seaton. Sadly emphysema had overtaken Ben, and things were not looking good. 

• Friendly/supportive 2

34 minutes ago, Oldddudders said:

Ben had been SM at Gillingham (Kent not Dorset) in the 70s, and lived w wife Pat in Acton, which was a bit of a stretch for on-call, especially working for AM Tom Cliffe! Last I heard of him he was on the Orpington Area team, mid-80s, under the excellent David Jones, sometime SM at Seaton. Sadly emphysema had overtaken Ben, and things were not looking good. 

Indeed. When I was a trainee ops manager, I had to report to Tom, if it was pm, primarily at the White Swan (or White Horse, or White something) at Dartford each week. Which is where I met Ben. If you were not slightly legless when you left, you were not going to be a good railwayman, in Tom's books.

I spent a while with David on the Orpington patch, and he was a true gentleman, but my destiny was (after a brief spell as acting SM Chislehurst, wherein I think I was the pawn to uncovering the unsavoury one-armed bandit activities of the regular SM and the investigation into the strange goings on by the Chief Clerk at Petts Wood. with the fearsome Phil Whassname from Internal Wotsit on my back)), was to be allocated to Ben at Sittingbourne, where he had been placed under yet another re-org, with John Mummery as the AM. He (and we) then covered from Gillingham through to Teynham and across to Sheerness and Chatham Dockyard, with first line on call covering up to Strood and across part of the Medway Valley. John was off sick for much of the time, due to his bicycle endeavours, and Ben acted as AM for many weeks at a time. He had "lodgings" in Gillingham, where he stayed when on call. Pat did not have his personal number there, and we had to vet the calls as they came in at Sittingbourne, or indeed to our home numbers.

When Ben opened his ever-present briefcase, apart from a change of underwear and maybe a clean shirt, it was full of packs of Benson and Hedges. Gordon Farley, one of my accomplices at Sittingbourne, kept in touch for several years, and told me of his demise.

Great man. Great reputation. Great to know - he taught me an awful lot about life and stuff (nearly as much as Derek Best). Shortish but eventful life. Sleeping dogs were left to lie. We shall leave it there.......

• Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Gold

Not to worry about John Mummery's bicycling endeavours nowadays as he has been flogging off various bits of associated paraphenalia on Ebay for some time (I think he's got rid of the lot by now - I'll check when I see him next month if he's at our Stoke Gifford gathering, he usually comes to that one)

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1