The human side of the railway...

43 minutes ago, Blackthorn said:

Ah, now I see why French electric locomotives had those funny looking backwards inclined windscreens......just the right space for a girls bum! :D

I can think of quite a few girls bums which wouldnt fit in the space available.

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 6

• RMweb Premium
4 minutes ago, Ray H said:

The penultimate image is interesting insomuch as it appears to show a cleared signal on the approach to crossing gates that are across the railway.

That looks a lot like Lincoln, and the crossing will be High Street. There is another signal twixt crossing and the signal showing "off" (you can just see an "on" distant arm, and presumably there is an "on" stop arm, behind the "off" signal).

• Agree 3
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Ray H said:

The penultimate image is interesting insomuch as it appears to show a cleared signal on the approach to crossing gates that are across the railway.

1 hour ago, iands said:

That looks a lot like Lincoln, and the crossing will be High Street. There is another signal twixt crossing and the signal showing "off" (you can just see an "on" distant arm, and presumably there is an "on" stop arm, behind the "off" signal).

Yes that is Lincoln, this reverse angle taken from up on the multi-storey car park shows the signalling, although the crossing gates are somewhat different....

dr73431a.JPG.508a49c8c71727b496577f73ce76d038.JPG

• Like 11

• RMweb Gold
6 minutes ago, Trev52A said:

1366668330_(068c)DMUHSTprob.E43064Darlington29-5-78(TErmel).jpg.382f451241b49663ad4d751c06d49726.jpg

The south end of Darlington station on 29th May 1978, with E43064 heading south in the background, shortly after the introduction of the new HST timetable.

Trevor

I'm trying to recall who that is, possibly Ronnie Cronin of thornaby 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Trev52A said:

1366668330_(068c)DMUHSTprob.E43064Darlington29-5-78(TErmel).jpg.382f451241b49663ad4d751c06d49726.jpg

The south end of Darlington station on 29th May 1978, with E43064 heading south in the background, shortly after the introduction of the new HST timetable.

Trevor

The banana van in the background is quite interesting too. Pure gold

Andy

• Like 2

After working the 07.13 Barnstaple to Exeter St Davids service 33016 has stabled the stock in the yard at St Davids.

I understand there is a Salisbury driver in the cab with Exeter driver Len Spicer, and Emrys Mason (in the lightweight jacket) on the ground.

1565394151_ExeterStDavids33016a.jpg.9565bb758e38a76fb2b4b36629d18a80.jpg

The water crane here survived until the re-signalling of the St Davids station area in 1985. 7/11/83.

cheers

• Like 11

On ‎30‎/‎11‎/‎2019 at 19:21, Mike Storey said:

I love the new-fangled point heater....

image.png.29e0ef140e52a74144ed82554aa25e96.png

In fact, I saw much the same being done to the frozen tracks in Newark (New Jersey) as late as the late 70's. I could not believe it.

You can do much the same with ballast hoppers if the ballast is frozen and won't run. Pour a gallon of petrol over the ballast and leave it to soak in for a few minutes, then throw a burning rag at it. Gets rid of the frost nicely and if you do it at night the still burning ballast looks really impressive as it drops out of the chutes. Not seen it done since the mid 1990's though as for some strange reason both EWS and the H&S people frowned on the practice.

• Like 6
  • Funny 7

15 hours ago, Trog said:

You can do much the same with ballast hoppers if the ballast is frozen and won't run. Pour a gallon of petrol over the ballast and leave it to soak in for a few minutes, then throw a burning rag at it. Gets rid of the frost nicely and if you do it at night the still burning ballast looks really impressive as it drops out of the chutes. Not seen it done since the mid 1990's though as for some strange reason both EWS and the H&S people frowned on the practice.

We used to do the same with gone off hard or frozen Tarmac but using diesel.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
On 30/11/2019 at 19:21, Mike Storey said:

I love the new-fangled point heater....

image.png.29e0ef140e52a74144ed82554aa25e96.png

In fact, I saw much the same being done to the frozen tracks in Newark (New Jersey) as late as the late 70's. I could not believe it.

We had an Area Manager who bought a flame thrower for clearing the snow. Unfortunately the person given the job of using it to get stock off the depot didn't just do the hand points.

He set fire to the signalling cables on the main exit points and stopped the job for two days. 

• Like 5
  • Friendly/supportive 1

1 hour ago, TheSignalEngineer said:

We had an Area Manager who bought a flame thrower for clearing the snow. Unfortunately the person given the job of using it to get stock off the depot didn't just do the hand points.

He set fire to the signalling cables on the main exit points and stopped the job for two days. 

We did exactly the same at Brighton, to clear the station throat, mainly the West side and to Hove, in the bad winter of (I think) '87. Just quite how I am still alive to tell the tale, given the third rail was live throughout but hidden somewhere under various layers of snow, remains a mystery.

• Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• 2 weeks later...