The human side of the railway...

A local one and quite a rare find, very few decent photos exist of this station, the first out of Rugby on the Northampton line and now the site of DIRFT.... a mate at work has one the totems hanging up in his front parlour....

RY K&C Peter Kay.jpg

• Like 19

On ‎03‎/‎01‎/‎2020 at 15:40, Rugd1022 said:

A local one and quite a rare find, very few decent photos exist of this station, the first out of Rugby on the Northampton line and now the site of DIRFT.... a mate at work has one the totems hanging up in his front parlour....

RY K&C Peter Kay.jpg

There is a little bit of brickwork on the downside by the road bridge, that may be the last remains of the station. Apart from the loading dock on the other side of the A5 bridge.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Wonder what that was that was being cut? My initial thought was a side from a ballast hopper, but perhaps not.

Also wondered how they determined what size to cut the pieces into? Was it by weight, dimensions, or something else?

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
On 09/01/2020 at 13:10, bude_branch said:

Spotters at Waterloo in 1967 with Modified Light Pacific 34034 Honiton in the background.

Sobering to think that the 4-Cor EMU on the right was older than the Bulleid pacific - but was still in service several years after steam had gone. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Gold

Is that really on the Up side at Rugby? While the lady is purest totty, I seem to think there ought to be a wall opposite on the Up side in 1982. 

I believe I have joined a train once at Rugby. My boss in 1991 lived there, had a back problem that day, so I'd been to a meeting 'chez lui'. Deb was on the way back from Glasgow, and without telling her I managed to join her train. As I opened the vestibule door, she looked up..... Odd, how we know. 

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, Oldddudders said:

Is that really on the Up side at Rugby? While the lady is purest totty, I seem to think there ought to be a wall opposite on the Up side in 1982. 

I believe I have joined a train once at Rugby. My boss in 1991 lived there, had a back problem that day, so I'd been to a meeting 'chez lui'. Deb was on the way back from Glasgow, and without telling her I managed to join her train. As I opened the vestibule door, she looked up..... Odd, how we know. 

Yes it's the upside Ian, the horse dock is there in the background with a 310 in the carriage sidings behind it, the high brick wall is just off to the left, holding up the roof! The horse dock is still there today, clinging on a bit longer.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
On 19/12/2019 at 13:24, Rugd1022 said:

Photo c/o Terry Yeend : Driver Harry Sell of Old Oak on a D63xx'er...

Dvr Harry Sell 81A D63xx by Terry Yeend.jpg

Amazing how  light and airy the cab looks on this.

Can't think of another loco where what we car enthusiasts would call the A pillar is so thin .

Possibly not great in a smash but good visibility 

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
20 hours ago, russ p said:

Amazing how  light and airy the cab looks on this.

Can't think of another loco where what we car enthusiasts would call the A pillar is so thin .

Possibly not great in a smash but good visibility 

Hopefully the good visibility helped you avoid the crash!  Warships, including the D6xx type, and Westerns were pretty skimpy in this area as well, as were the D61xx.  The sort of crash which involves the loco turning upside down or having something heavy land on top of the cab is arguably not survivable anyway.  Standard practice, if you'd done all you could and had time, was to hide in the engine room, and on Westerns this was two doors, a flight of steps, and corridor with a corner away!

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
On 13/01/2020 at 11:33, Rugd1022 said:

Old Oak man Derek Grub on an NBL Warship approaching Charlbury with a Padd - Hereford working c.1970, photo c/o Ron Richards...

Derek Grub app Charlbury PDN-HFD by Ron Richards.jpg

Cracking photo Nidge

Only goes to prove that the Bachmann 1950s train crew https://railsofsheffield.com/products/15623/scenecraft-36-407-oo-gauge-1950s-train-crew?gclid=CjwKCAiAsIDxBRAsEiwAV76N8_zmKJ4cDOvrDJ4aQ6NfscMuDQ5PA8lYiE4Y1bNYNjZUvrIs-h8mARoCG7AQAvD_BwE are ideal for this era

Heres some more of them posing at 85A a few years earlier - Chris Wilkinson's excellent photos on MIAC

http://www.miac.org.uk/wilkinson1.html

• Like 5