The human side of the railway...

11 hours ago, rab said:

I wax age 23 then, but had already started losing mine.

(I had wavy hair, it got so wavy, it waived goodbye) :)

It was probably the wax that made it go...

Edited by Talltim
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, The Stationmaster said:

It was somewhat frowned upon on the WR for local managers to have haircuts like that in 1974 ;)

And the Senior Scientist in the NHS lab in which I started that year wasnt impressed with mine either Mike!

Was good enough for a surly appearance on the Beeb though...

Edited by Phil Bullock
  • Like 1
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Gold
44 minutes ago, Phil Bullock said:

EE3s returning to S Wales on M5 construction fly ash empties ?

Probably, yes.  A crew change is taking place and there is a guard either climbing on to or leaving the rear cab of D6980, with his relief or the man he is relieving sitting in the secondman's seat.  IIRC these trains were worked by Barry men and either relieved or piloted beyond Temple Meads, the limit of Barry route knowledge being West Depot.  The fly-ash came from Aberthaw Power Station.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

1 hour ago, The Johnster said:

Probably, yes.  A crew change is taking place and there is a guard either climbing on to or leaving the rear cab of D6980, with his relief or the man he is relieving sitting in the secondman's seat.  IIRC these trains were worked by Barry men and either relieved or piloted beyond Temple Meads, the limit of Barry route knowledge being West Depot.  The fly-ash came from Aberthaw Power Station.

And one of them is wearing a John Surtees style crash hat, ready to jump onto his humble Honda 50 no doubt!

Two DMU railtour gems from the lens of Mike Organ : Merehead Quarry on 27/3/71 and Morris Cowley on 13/11/71...

BROS MEREHAED 270371 Mike Organ.jpg

BROS DMU Tour Morris Cowley 131171 Mike Organ.jpg

• Like 9

• RMweb Gold
On 17/03/2020 at 15:56, Rugd1022 said:

And one of them is wearing a John Surtees style crash hat, ready to jump onto his humble Honda 50 no doubt!

Two DMU railtour gems from the lens of Mike Organ : Merehead Quarry on 27/3/71 and Morris Cowley on 13/11/71...

BROS MEREHAED 270371 Mike Organ.jpg

BROS DMU Tour Morris Cowley 131171 Mike Organ.jpg

Would that be the same Mike Organ who worked at 125 House at Swindon in the mid-90s? I think he was something to do with Rules & Regs.

Edited by Western Aviator
  • Like 2
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
51 minutes ago, Rugd1022 said:

More than likely I'd say... ;)

Judging by the locations I would say that it probably was that particular Mike Organ.  I would be amazed if it was another one I knew who seemed to get very quickly shunted into the BRB when he finished management training in the early 1970s because I doubt he even knew where Merehead was.

• Like 2

I've shared this one on another thread but it fits here nicely as well

738949002_(174b)No215-2-69(28A)(TE).jpg.ef6ff19300bc9b2309d2a62bbdbf7f42.jpg

0-6-0ST No 2 is the centre of attraction on 15th February 1969, the final day of normal steam working on the NCB Philadelphia system, near Sunderland. I think that's Lambton Coke Works in the background. I cannot now remember what the problem was with the loco.

Trevor 

• Like 9

1 hour ago, Trev52A said:

I've shared this one on another thread but it fits here nicely as well

738949002_(174b)No215-2-69(28A)(TE).jpg.ef6ff19300bc9b2309d2a62bbdbf7f42.jpg

0-6-0ST No 2 is the centre of attraction on 15th February 1969, the final day of normal steam working on the NCB Philadelphia system, near Sunderland. I think that's Lambton Coke Works in the background. I cannot now remember what the problem was with the loco.

Trevor 

Too much steam coming out of the wrong place? :unsure:

• Like 1