The human side of the railway...

8 hours ago, big jim said:

3rd picture down looks like Phil Daniels on the loco footplate! 

parklife! 

I thought the very same Jim! His name is Jimmy Lacey of Stratford Depot, that pic was taken in '68 and the one above is also him, taken in '65.

This one is c/o Kevin Cole, that's his dad on the left with Graham Braund at Exeter SD, presumably Graham is related to Andy Braund who has also appeared in some of the Hydraulic shots I've been posting...

Driver Cole Kevin Cole EXE SD & Graham Braund.jpg

• Like 12

23 hours ago, Rugd1022 said:

Liverpool Street, photos by Michael Valla....

LIVPL ST Michael Valla George Leonard Dutchy Holland Ian Bell.jpg

Anyone know who the fella on the extreme RHS is …………………………….. sure I used to work with him at Southern House / Waterloo ??

• Like 2

This link https://alainlegarsmeur.photoshelter.com/gallery-image/Britain-Train-Journeys-Kyle-of-Lochalsh-Line/G0000KT4D_h.Aavc/I0000cjch8l1v7.I/C0000fDBIA.BDNkE is from a professional photographers site so it's all copyright hence the link, other than location there's no rail information. There is a lot of human interest but this one sticks out. Check out his other galleries, several of which are rail related include the S&C and West Highland line .

This gallery also has a nice interior shot of the GW liveried observation coach, plus station and signal box interior photographs.

• Like 5

• RMweb Gold
40 minutes ago, Steadfast said:

Something a little different. DB have emailed to staff a rainbow colouring sheet, intended for children to colour and put in their windows.

Westbury yard's staff have used this as an opportunity to brighten up the cabin, as we're a yard operating as a Network Rail LDC we get a variety of operators so have included them in our colouring. Also a few heritage liveries too. Hope these raise a smile or two

Jo

Absolutely brilliant..... I just wonder how many (young) children actually coloured these in....... looking at the neatness and clear decision to detail in the paint schemes the Westbury yard has some budding artists.....:paint:

• Like 3

Judging by the internal emails they seem to be getting done by a number of staff's kids. Some good old school tippex, biro and photocopier routine was used to create the 59 from the 66. All the Westbury ones were done by "children" in their 30s and 40s in between dealing with the real trains. Definitely seems to have been a boost to morale of everyone who has seen them

Jo

• Like 3
  • Funny 4

1 hour ago, Rugd1022 said:

Non UK stuff is fine Trev, post away...!

I've been checking back and see that you uploaded a fine selection of French pictures in November (which have had 29 'likes', including one from me!) so it looks like you are correct, anything goes!

So if I can get away with it, here are two I originally uploaded yesterday, but then deleted..

2019355385_(China247)cDabanshed(TErmel).jpg.663189a4337256612779b2bdf27621f0.jpg

150303776_(T1514aS)Dabanshed2004(TE).jpg.314d2b26260fa2fbd723efe6e3a86192.jpg

Class QJ 2-10-2 locos receiving attention (one with a hammer, by the look of it!) at Daban shed, Inner Mongolia (China) in April 2004

Trevor

• Like 10

Fantastic images Trev, keep 'em coming! I'm still astonished that this thread continues eight and a half years after I started with almost three thousand replies, I didn't think it was last more than a few weeks, many thanks to those who've contributed some great material ;)

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold

In my opinion it’s one of the best threads in the prototype section,  when I see in my activity line that rugd1022 has posted to this thread it normally means there is a cracking photo from a time long forgotten about when mess rooms were card schools, drivers wore flat caps and carried billy cans and all the walls (locos included) were nicotine stained, I only just caught the back end of Using those type of facilities and working with proper old school drivers when I started on the railway 

(ok this time it didn’t have a picture but you you know what I mean!)

Edited by big jim
  • Like 5
  • Agree 8
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

Guess who?

87C99247-B720-4561-8270-7C682AD3CDFA.jpg

a somewhat thinner me aged 18 sat on my dad’s quarry hunslet in Boston lodge during  one of its first streamings after its rebuild in  our garage amongst other places

• Like 19

• RMweb Gold
7 hours ago, big jim said:

Guess who?

87C99247-B720-4561-8270-7C682AD3CDFA.jpg

a somewhat thinner me aged 18 sat on my dad’s quarry hunslet in Boston lodge during  one of its first streamings after its rebuild in  our garage amongst other places

What a fantastic photo! I used to fire "Alice" when she came to Leighton Buzzard - Adrian Corke was her regular driver there.

Small world - take care :) 

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

A novice gets in between. My daughter Sarah getting guidance from Fireman (soon to become Driver) John, on a fire and drive experience with Dinmore Manor at Cheltenham Racecourse.

IMG_0517.JPG.013015288acc149978abcdd539674739.JPG

• Like 9

• RMweb Gold

King George V passing through Gobowen April 1975

987B6B63-72B3-4686-B06B-AB43EDD92706.jpg

The lady with the baby is my mum, rhe baby is a 2 month old me! 

7FC03C97-4C84-4C11-9CCD-9A068B6F63B6.jpg

been a year this week since my mum died and I was having a look through some old albums and this pic jumped out at me, as my dad always reminds me, that was the  first ever steam train you saw, (it was actually coming up gresford bank earlier in the day though)

66AABE53-CA29-4F31-961F-A3D96BF043D8.jpg

And clan line too

E6850D0F-7527-4624-BF4A-A3B8E55B43F3.jpg

must have left a lasting impression on me! 

• Like 13
  • Friendly/supportive 4

• RMweb Gold

On October 4th 1987 BR ran a trip from Paddington to Newquay and back via the Berks & Hants advertised as the last loco-hauled train to Newquay. Before the departure of the return leg, some of the tour participants pose with the town crier and 50035 which, along with 50034, worked throughout. 

1010180100_50035Newquay.jpg.885410a5563faf090f3fd6c57ecbf81f.jpg

• Like 11