The human side of the railway...

• RMweb Gold
8 hours ago, ruggedpeak said:

If I had looked at a close up of the trolley I would have seen it says "Reading" on it!!!

:banghead:

Ah yes, but these trolleys have been known to turn up at a station on the other side of the country but nobody ever see's how it got there.........

Many years ago I was on holiday in the Dominican and just outside reception there was a shopping trolley from Woolworths,,,,,,,,,,,,

Edited by jcarta
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Gold
On 23/08/2020 at 16:22, Rugd1022 said:

Trust me it was real - here's another view taken during the clear up process....

STACKER STEADMAN aftermath.jpg

Thanks for that one, I've not seen a picture ftom that side before.

On 23/08/2020 at 18:08, PhilJ W said:

What exactly happened? Was it a runaway or did it get a push.

The train is on No.4 Shunt neck at Washwood Heath. Trains on the Down were turned into Nos 1, 2 or 3 Arrival Roads by Washwood Heath Junction. At No. 3 box they were drawn forward for the Jocko to come on the back and pull them up No. 4 Shunt Line into the neck which was raised above the King Point for Sidings 1- 23 at No.4 box. Most were gravity shunted from there but occasionly whole trains were taken up and down just to put them on the back fan out of the way until they were required. 

Stacker was probably doing a move like that and the Troublesome Trucks decided they weren't going to stop.

Edited by TheSignalEngineer
Typo
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
11 hours ago, jcarta said:

Ah yes, but these trolleys have been known to turn up at a station on the other side of the country but nobody ever see's how it got there.........

The one that used to be visible at low tide on a sandbank in the Thames, adjacent to Grosvenor Bridge, also seems to have had something of an adventure. No, I don't know its designated origin. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

2 hours ago, jcarta said:

I remember seeing a Birmingham NS one at Aberdeen back in the very late 80's....

There was a Glasgow Central trolley in Kia Tak airport in Hong Kong in the mid 1980's. An expat even sent in a photo of it in use in the arrivals Hall to the Station Managers office when I was working there in1986. It was also reported in the Glasgow Herald at the time as well IIRC. Wonder if it's still there?

2 hours ago, jcarta said:
2 hours ago, PhilJ W said:

I wonder what is the furthest travelled platform trolley.

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium
6 minutes ago, Clydebridge said:

There was a Glasgow Central trolley in Kia Tak airport in Hong Kong in the mid 1980's. An expat even sent in a photo of it in use in the arrivals Hall to the Station Managers office when I was working there in1986. It was also reported in the Glasgow Herald at the time as well IIRC. Wonder if it's still there?

Thats got to win the prize. I doubt very much if its still there, isn't Kia Tak now closed?

• RMweb Gold

Picked up a Nice book at the car boot today in crewe

04AA781D-44BD-45C5-9EE3-E590DD19A5D3.jpeg.7717379fc3918ea08fcdc1585675391e.jpeg

what makes it a bit more special is the receipt inside from crewe works 

6F38B7E4-B52F-490F-AAE0-446C77DE3AE8.jpeg.238f723a1c1176aee06c6d73b2b4b7a8.jpeg

be interesting to see if MR Black is still alive, I’m sure there must be some sort of works archive I can access 

• Like 12
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

• RMweb Gold
On 22/08/2020 at 23:28, Holmesfeldian said:

okay - you wanted another view.....

here’s an alternative view of “Stacker” Steadman’s.... erm... handiwork

02DDAB88-0653-4543-8465-F392C68DAF75.jpeg

We was talking about this the other day in our messroom at Coventry Depot we also have an ex Saltley man in our depot now by the name of Gaz Ward he was telling all the newbies of the ways it used to be back in the day even when a couple of Ex Saltley men now no longer with us would welcome you in the cab and before you know it you was in the seat. 

Great days indeed......

Cheers 

Colin 

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

I managed to find other photos of Walsall, it seems it flooded quite regularly. Photos from 1969, like the " Gone fishin " picture and again in 1978. I also found some undated photos which appear to have been taken in pre-grouping days. What made me say Walsall in the first place was the overhead gantries on the right of the photo and the distance between the platforms, from the left to the island platform. There aren`t many places where the electrified lines only occupy part of station layout, the photo would seem to be from the late 60s. 

• Like 2

On 17/09/2020 at 20:23, nigb55009 said:

I managed to find other photos of Walsall, it seems it flooded quite regularly. Photos from 1969, like the " Gone fishin " picture and again in 1978. I also found some undated photos which appear to have been taken in pre-grouping days. What made me say Walsall in the first place was the overhead gantries on the right of the photo and the distance between the platforms, from the left to the island platform. There aren`t many places where the electrified lines only occupy part of station layout, the photo would seem to be from the late 60s. 

As an aside the picture shows the perils sometimes in trying to identify locations or time periods.  When I first looked at the picture I knew it was Walsall but what threw me off on the time period was the presence of the two 4 aspect searchlight signals in the background.  I saw those and thought there's no way they were installed as part of the Walsall PSB scheme as the LMR always used multi-lens signals wherever possible so the picture must be before Walsall PSB was commissioned but after the electrification project had started (because of the ole structures).

WRONG.  When I checked the signalling notice for the opening of Walsall PSB the two signals at that location were shown as 4 aspect searchlights. :blush: 

Edited by DY444
  • Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
On 17/09/2020 at 16:24, Rugd1022 said:

''Gone fishin'....''

NSRFXZLOCRGMLASKF6VTB74VTY.jpg

Went to catch a train, but caught a fish?

On 17/09/2020 at 19:32, CovDriver said:

We was talking about this the other day in our messroom at Coventry Depot we also have an ex Saltley man in our depot now by the name of Gaz Ward he was telling all the newbies of the ways it used to be back in the day even when a couple of Ex Saltley men now no longer with us would welcome you in the cab and before you know it you was in the seat. 

Great days indeed......

Cheers 

Colin 

And, being Saltley men, this could happen anywhere in the country and usually on overtime...

• Funny 2