The human side of the railway...

On 19/09/2020 at 07:33, DY444 said:

As an aside the picture shows the perils sometimes in trying to identify locations or time periods.  When I first looked at the picture I knew it was Walsall but what threw me off on the time period was the presence of the two 4 aspect searchlight signals in the background.  I saw those and thought there's no way they were installed as part of the Walsall PSB scheme as the LMR always used multi-lens signals wherever possible so the picture must be before Walsall PSB was commissioned but after the electrification project had started (because of the ole structures).

WRONG.  When I checked the signalling notice for the opening of Walsall PSB the two signals at that location were shown as 4 aspect searchlights. :blush: 

Quite a classic photo that one. As that stage of the Walsall PSB scheme came into use on 4 April 1966 and this platform had lost it's passenger services in 1965 the gent with the paper will be waiting a while.... Presumably a posed muck about by the staff.

Sad what happened to Walsall really. The whole area resignalled then the station's services were reduced to just an hourly train to Birmingham New Street from Platform 3.

The grand old station buildings were demolished (The loss of the lovely wood panelled booking hall was particularly sad.) A bland shopping centre was built and the Station ticket office sited within it.

The flooding was a occasional menace right until the 2000s when the drainage under Park Street Tunnel was finally improved.

Edited by LeeWL
  • Like 2

On 03/06/2020 at 13:36, Mike 84C said:

Driver Ron Boyle and Melvin Lambourne on  the passenger pilot at Banbury 1965/66.  Ron is 94 going strong, Melvin must be mid seventies. Class 5 45145.

40602850_45145Footplatecrew1.jpg.a07909828d781072ca4f90e98003c7fd.jpg

Hi I'm not interested in trains but I think I know Melvyn if It is the same person , same name , probs about 70yrs , used to work on the trains and lives in Banbury, I could poss pass on details with his permission if anyone was interested 

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium

As I've already posted one photo of this chap on the 'Yet More Weed Killing Trains' thread, I thought I post this here. Photo of the chap placing the joint in the oven on the SR Weed Killing train mess coach.

942414752_SRSprayTrain-G.jpg.9a3cc22f29feae35a4cd00192bee0072.jpg

• Like 14

6 minutes ago, PhilJ W said:

I see they've been suspended not for having the man cave but on fire/health and safety grounds.

Hi Phil,

It is the very best of passive aggressive sticks to beat people with for it shows that they care as they hand you your P45.

Cynic, guilty as charged !!!

Gibbo.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
2 hours ago, Southof1E top tmd said:

The traincrew looking like real railwayman of the time (April 8th 1982) leave 46027 having brought her in from the North at Birmingham New St , this particular turn over

A Tony Ewer photo

NR

08048246027.jpg

Lovely period pic! Both wearing their light blue cotton 'summer' jackets under their overcoats too.

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Where do you want it? Driver of 03.066 in conversation with shed staff at Gateshead depot 15/04/83

Plenty of onlookers at Weston-super-Mare taking in the sight of 4930 'Hagley Hall' and 7819 'Hinton Manor' with the "Great Western Limited" rail tour which ran April 1985.

Edited by SP Steve
Photo added
  • Like 12

Just to prove that units can garner some fame, 506 002 at Manchester with the blurred outline of 506 004 backing down to form the last ever 506 operated passenger service to Hadfield 07/12/84

Edited by SP Steve
  • Like 12

• 2 weeks later...