The human side of the railway...

• RMweb Gold

DAA? I think the first railtour to flaunt that title was the "DAA 4-Griddle" tour in early 1971. The Railway Magazine, knowing full well what the letters stood for, nevertheless rang Essex House (Central DMO) to politely enquire.... Some quick thinking gave a palatable answer - the Diesel Abatement Association!

• Like 5

• RMweb Premium
8 minutes ago, Rugd1022 said:

Photo c/o Anthony Gregory and Signalman Pete 'Snowy' Hill' : Coalville Driver Albert Pickering with one of the 'local' Type 2s on the Kinighton - Burton branch....

D5388 later became 27105 04/74 and then 27049 08/83 Wdn 04/87

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

My contribution.......no photo as it's a rather dull affair......watching Mrs. Balders filling out her Jan 2021 roster and diagrams on the family calendar whilst I sip a brew. 

Happy New Year to everyone on RMWeb! It's assisted my sanity for the last year no end. 

All the best for 2021

Guy

• Like 8

• 2 weeks later...
33 minutes ago, KeithMacdonald said:

I had no idea that David Gilmour was part of Coalville Crew before he joined Pink Floyd.

Looking at the loco, it wasn't before - the loco is younger than Pink Floyd - it was in the mid 1970s wilderness years when he had to turn to being a secondman (as opposed to a frontman) to make ends meet - certainly explains the dystopic 'Wall' album.  :D

• Thanks 1
  • Funny 2

33 minutes ago, woodenhead said:

Looking at the loco, it wasn't before - the loco is younger than Pink Floyd - it was in the mid 1970s wilderness years when he had to turn to being a secondman (as opposed to a frontman) to make ends meet - certainly explains the dystopic 'Wall' album.  :D

Was that before they released "Obscured By Clouds Class 47s" ?

Edited by KeithMacdonald
Typo fix

26 minutes ago, Rugd1022 said:

Somewhere in French France....

1848078805_FRANCEGG.jpg.c853d410fc2b26924f5d0db22038197b.jpg

Working hard to ensure the track is clean and the loco retains an electrical contact, nothing worse than your loco conking out on dirty track.

Still safer than the video of the secondman on a US service sweeping snow from the track on the main in front of a 2 loco & train lash up - skipping from one track to the other right in front of the moving train which was struggling for grip.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Oldddudders said:

The top poster on the RH wall mentions Granville, where there is a collège André Malraux, noted on one of the signs.

Absolutely - this is Granville, where there were recent attempts to re-open the branch for the Normandy celebrations. Came to little though, as the Marie, amongst others, objected..... there was a brief ceremony at the top of the town on the day, with a preserved loco on static display.

• Informative/Useful 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Another one for Granville - the loco is in the 'Voie Pont Saint-Jaques' coming up from the port, waiting to enter Place General de Gaulle and then Cours Jonville, rue Dubosq and onwards into the station. Seemingly steam was replaced by diesels in 1963 (passenger services - no mention if goods were still steam-hauled for a while afterwards).

According to Google Maps Streetview, the rails were still in-situ in 2019. The shops have changed and the 'modern' road signs have gone. The road signs in the photo were quite common when I were a lad being lit inside with neon tubes - reflective signs didn't exist back then.

Cheers,

Philip

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1