The human side of the railway...

On 14/01/2021 at 21:22, Oldddudders said:

The top poster on the RH wall mentions Granville, where there is a collège André Malraux, noted on one of the signs.

Indeed, the locomotive's emerging onto rue Paul Poirier having left the port of Granville's south quay. Tracks still in place to this day, albeit disconnected from both the port and the station...

Alan

Screenshot_20210120-225449.png.7c7547cc1f7047f8a50c8cca30488658.png 1848078805_FRANCEGG.jpg.c853d410fc2b26924f5d0db22038197b.jpg

Edited by jivebunny
Resized image
  • Like 8
  • Friendly/supportive 1

My dad once went to Faverdale Hall, Darlington for a British Railways training course, back in the 1960s.

Soon after I joined BR I was offered the chance, but turned it down, though my brother Steve was more outgoing than me, so after he also joined BR he took up the offer to go to Darlington. I have the folder Steve was given on the course, with names of staff tutors, and students.

Here is a group photo of 'Training Course for Young People No.16', 22 June - 3 July 1981. 

1182728096_DarlingtonFaverdaleHall0001.jpg.02b4783e862af3c5cb35269143687d54.jpg

Faverdale Hall, Darlington 1981

cheers

• Like 9

• RMweb Gold

I went to Faverdale in 1981, but have no recollection of the course, although it might have been about communication and presentation skills. Certainly a chap on the course did a most engaging presentation about Barmouth Viaduct, including details of the Teredo Worm and the Gribble that had eaten important bits! I'm afraid my abiding memory is that coffee was not available for breakfast...

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

5 hours ago, Rivercider said:

My dad once went to Faverdale Hall, Darlington for a British Railways training course, back in the 1960s.

Soon after I joined BR I was offered the chance, but turned it down, though my brother Steve was more outgoing than me, so after he also joined BR he took up the offer to go to Darlington. I have the folder Steve was given on the course, with names of staff tutors, and students.

Here is a group photo of 'Training Course for Young People No.16', 22 June - 3 July 1981. 

1182728096_DarlingtonFaverdaleHall0001.jpg.02b4783e862af3c5cb35269143687d54.jpg

Faverdale Hall, Darlington 1981

cheers

I definitely recognise a few faces in this, although I cannot, for the life of me, put any names to them.

I attended a few courses here, in the early 1980's, primarily on signalling Rules and Regs and other operations stuff like that. But it was used then mainly for Eastern Region staff (I was Southern at the time).

We returned in the early to mid-!990's, when it had been sort-of-privatised, for some of our monthly management meetings, when I had by then moved to the Eastern Region, and then InterCity East Coast. We even used it a few times after we had been taken over by Sea Containers and became Great North Eastern Railway. But a certain Mr Garnett soon put a stop to that, even though it meant using some expensive hotel in York (the largest meeting room at York HQ was too small to fit us all in).

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Mike Storey said:

I definitely recognise a few faces in this, although I cannot, for the life of me, put any names to them.

I attended a few courses here, in the early 1980's, primarily on signalling Rules and Regs and other operations stuff like that. But it was used then mainly for Eastern Region staff (I was Southern at the time).

We returned in the early to mid-!990's, when it had been sort-of-privatised, for some of our monthly management meetings, when I had by then moved to the Eastern Region, and then InterCity East Coast. We even used it a few times after we had been taken over by Sea Containers and became Great North Eastern Railway. But a certain Mr Garnett soon put a stop to that, even though it meant using some expensive hotel in York (the largest meeting room at York HQ was too small to fit us all in).

My brother Steve kept his notes, the front row is made up of tutors, and the Principal:-

Geoff Huller, Derek Porter, Arthur Shaw, Alan Millichamp, R Davies Evans (Principal), Chief Insp Thomas (guest Speaker), V A Chadwick (guest), Keith Mallinson, and Mick Harland,

cheers

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

16 minutes ago, Mike Storey said:

The names of the students on the course also included their Region, there were 27 on the course (one no-show).

They came from;  LMR 10,  ER 6,  ScR 4,  WR 3,  SR 3,  FTL (Freightliners ?) 1,

cheers  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

20 hours ago, Rugd1022 said:

To quote The Kinks : 'Victoria'.... ;)

351671897_LONDONVIC290634.jpg.b126ec236daefe71910cda1eadcf792d.jpg

29th June 1934 - the 'Southern Belle' was renamed the 'Brighton Belle' by the lady Mayor of Brighton, Margaret Hardy. I would presume this is the service that enacted this change, having its roof boards replaced at Victoria.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, talisman56 said:

29th June 1934 - the 'Southern Belle' was renamed the 'Brighton Belle' by the lady Mayor of Brighton, Margaret Hardy. I would presume this is the service that enacted this change, having its roof boards replaced at Victoria.

Well I've just learned somthing new - I'd always thought the change in name came when the EMUs were introduced, when it was actually 18 months later.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, talisman56 said:

Egads, the board is too long.

No worries, first train and bridge to pass will resolve any out of gauge issue.

And so was born the little known Ighton Bell Pullman service, only ran once in one direction.

• Funny 6

• 3 weeks later...
4 minutes ago, ardbealach said:

Scanning old slides I found this one taken in the mid-1990's at Levisham on the North York Moors.  Maybe the three might be able to identify themselves?  [Alisdair]

img128.jpg

Hi There,

Holding the token pouch with the loop in front of your face is a good way to get a biff on the nose from being hit by the pouch of the fireman's hand.

Gibbo.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

7 hours ago, Gibbo675 said:

Hi There,

Holding the token pouch with the loop in front of your face is a good way to get a biff on the nose from being hit by the pouch of the fireman's hand.

Gibbo.

Especially with an Annetts key in like those things, a good way to knock a bit off a tooth!

• Like 3

On 24/01/2021 at 15:05, Rugd1022 said:

To quote The Kinks : 'Victoria'.... ;)

351671897_LONDONVIC290634.jpg.b126ec236daefe71910cda1eadcf792d.jpg

The Train Crew is looking distinctly unimpressed with the new signs for the front of the train.

Man on platform to man on ladder:

Yes, Bert, it's a very nice sign. But when we get to the first tunnel, the "Brighton Belle" will become the "Ighton Bel"

• Funny 1

On 25/01/2021 at 16:33, woodenhead said:

Egads, the board is too long.

No worries, first train and bridge to pass will resolve any out of gauge issue.

And so was born the little known Ighton Bell Pullman service, only ran once in one direction.

2 minutes ago, KeithMacdonald said:

The Train Crew is looking distinctly unimpressed with the new signs for the front of the train.

Man on platform to man on ladder:

Yes, Bert, it's a very nice sign. But when we get to the first tunnel, the "Brighton Belle" will become the "Ighton Bel"

Ahem :lol:

• Funny 3