The human side of the railway...

Here's a cracker from the lens of John Sadler - a bunch of British hydraulic nuts on a jolly boys outing, many of whom would become very active in the preservation movement, left to right ; Andy Bennet, Philip 'Tom' Sawyer, Stan Leyland, Steve Draper, Steve Wainwright (my old guvnor at Rugby for a while), Chris Hatton, Paul Koch, John Hembury Jnr and an unknown DB depot fitter....

1744038465_DBCRANKS.jpg.12213150b3acbd3e5ac95e57a694efe7.jpg

• Like 14

1 hour ago, DY444 said:

Derby week I presume.  Station site now a housing estate and its fairly basic single platform replacement a quarter of a mile up the line towards Sutton.

Some nice clear period posters which could be possibly "blown up" and cut and pasted from this picture for period layouts?  Alisdair

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
23 hours ago, Rugd1022 said:

Waterloo in the early '60s.... reminds me of the 1961 John Schlezinger film 'Terminus', one of the best transport films ever made....

In that film, in the scene in the Telephone Enquiry Bureau, you may recall the earnest young man with a squeaky voice, desperately trying to get the caller to reveal what was wanted. Gerry Uzzell, originally from Exeter, and my boss as Operating Officer, South Eastern Division 1982-4. Delightful to work for and with. The Christmas cards stopped about a decade ago, sadly......

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 5

23 hours ago, Oldddudders said:

In that film, in the scene in the Telephone Enquiry Bureau, you may recall the earnest young man with a squeaky voice, desperately trying to get the caller to reveal what was wanted. Gerry Uzzell, originally from Exeter, and my boss as Operating Officer, South Eastern Division 1982-4. Delightful to work for and with. The Christmas cards stopped about a decade ago, sadly......

I posted this comment on the British Transport Films Facebook group and I’m delighted to say that Gerry’s son, Philip responded....

”Happy to report that Gerry (Dad) is still with us, albeit after a number of health scares, he is not at his Xmas card writing best these days. His appearance in the film are family folklore.”

3543B373-5126-4275-9BC9-AD2F758AC31A.jpeg

• Like 12
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold
On 28/02/2021 at 10:34, Holmesfeldian said:

I posted this comment on the British Transport Films Facebook group and I’m delighted to say that Gerry’s son, Philip responded....

”Happy to report that Gerry (Dad) is still with us, albeit after a number of health scares, he is not at his Xmas card writing best these days. His appearance in the film are family folklore.”

3543B373-5126-4275-9BC9-AD2F758AC31A.jpeg

What a lovely post to read! Thankyou so much! Great news in a tough era.

I think Gerry retired in the mid-90s, and had his farewell bash at the Exmouth Arms in Starcross St, near Euston. Where else would a London-based Exonian celebrate? 

• Like 3
  • Agree 1

On 27/02/2021 at 10:42, Oldddudders said:

I remember Gerry - a really nice chap and very knowledgeable with it. Where did he go to after that? I did not realise he is still with us!

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

After Divisions closed, I think Gerry went to work in the SE bit of L&SE, with Cedric in the lead. That became NSE SE Sub-Sector, and I think he was there until Privatisation, but I'm not sure. People at his Farewell included Bob Newlyn and Jack Carter, ISTR. I think you were at Margate at some point, but assume that was after he'd left to be Passenger Officer?

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Oldddudders said:

After Divisions closed, I think Gerry went to work in the SE bit of L&SE, with Cedric in the lead. That became NSE SE Sub-Sector, and I think he was there until Privatisation, but I'm not sure. People at his Farewell included Bob Newlyn and Jack Carter, ISTR. I think you were at Margate at some point, but assume that was after he'd left to be Passenger Officer?

Yes. I was at Sittingbourne before that, when Gerry went to Division and the oaf from Newcastle took over Margate, but had moved to Ashford before I got moved under displacement to Margate, when Tony ????? had taken over as AM.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Tony Goff. Who I last saw outside Railtrack House about 20 years ago.

EDIT And the "oaf from Newcastle" was Harry Holt, who had been at Thornton at one time, so was good at moving house!

Edited by Oldddudders
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Oldddudders said:

Tony Goff. Who I last saw outside Railtrack House about 20 years ago.

EDIT And the "oaf from Newcastle" was Harry Holt, who had been at Thornton at one time, so was good at moving house!

Many thanks - my dementia is getting worse.....

Tony went into or formed some kind of consultancy, chairing Inquiries into accidents and near misses, plus a plethora of other safety related activities. We met him, quite by accident, on a train about twelve years ago. But we did not keep in touch when we moved here.

I think Harry became a double-glazing salesman, or have I got that slightly out of order??

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
On 24/02/2021 at 12:52, Rugd1022 said:

Here's a cracker from the lens of John Sadler - a bunch of British hydraulic nuts on a jolly boys outing, many of whom would become very active in the preservation movement, left to right ; Andy Bennet, Philip 'Tom' Sawyer, Stan Leyland, Steve Draper, Steve Wainwright (my old guvnor at Rugby for a while), Chris Hatton, Paul Koch, John Hembury Jnr and an unknown DB depot fitter....

1744038465_DBCRANKS.jpg.12213150b3acbd3e5ac95e57a694efe7.jpg

Chris Hatton retired from the railway about 4-5 years ago. He was one of the Production Managers at Reading TMD. Retired a couple of years after the move to the new TCD.

• Like 1