The human side of the railway...

I'm not sure if I've already posted this one, I don't think I have but here it is anyway, a real gem taken at Temple Meads in the '70s from Paul 'Ballymoss'....

1513568088_RMWBristolTMPaulBallymoss.jpg.7e2574a81a3ff66b76b2500ac100a3e0.jpg

And a corker c/o railway author and retired Freightliner Control staff member Roger Geach : the Worcester Loco Society on a pilgrimage to Finsbury Park Depot in 1967....

787873256_RMWGogGeachFPc.1967WorcLocoSoc..jpg.7bbc5779ff25fea591652a0902cbfb29.jpg

• Like 14

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Rugd1022 said:

I'm not sure if I've already posted this one, I don't think I have but here it is anyway, a real gem taken at Temple Meads in the '70s from Paul 'Ballymoss'....

1513568088_RMWBristolTMPaulBallymoss.jpg.7e2574a81a3ff66b76b2500ac100a3e0.jpg

I wonder which one owned the Bristol Rovers holdall ??????

Edited by jcarta
  • Like 1

Photo by Sheila Burnett Stewarts Lane Shed in the '50s with a very proud looking line up of staff.... seems strange looking at this as functioning loco depot, I was shunting one of our stone trains in here the other day....

986284831_RMWEBSLSheilaBurnett.jpg.869fe4004fe3d99230786d97db47892a.jpg

• Like 13

1 hour ago, Rugd1022 said:

Photo by Sheila Burnett Stewarts Lane Shed in the '50s with a very proud looking line up of staff.... seems strange looking at this as functioning loco depot, I was shunting one of our stone trains in here the other day....

I wonder what the occasion was? The loco is very well turned out; white painted vacuum bag, smokebox smartened up and even burnished tyres.

• Agree 2

• RMweb Gold

Driver under instruction.

IHD03377.jpeg.d621c1eac3d66e69053689b985f5b93c.jpeg

Bastille Day, and the TRANSVAP afternoon train has just run round at Bonnetable. The guy with his back to us is a mover and shaker who has done much work on the two steam locos, including the new boiler for 1917 Bagnall 0-4-0 Alice. 

• Like 12

On 18/07/2021 at 18:24, Bon Accord said:

I wonder what the occasion was? The loco is very well turned out; white painted vacuum bag, smokebox smartened up and even burnished tyres.

The same shot without the staff is found in Steam in the Blood by Richard Hardy, Shedmaster of Stewarts Lane, the loco prepared  for a working for the Emperor of Abyssinia, Haili Selassie

Edited by Pandora
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Informative/Useful 6

• RMweb Gold
On 22/07/2021 at 16:23, Pandora said:

The same shot without the staff is found in Steam in the Blood by Richard Hardy, Shedmaster of Stewarts Lane, the loco prepared  for a working for the Emperor of Abyssinia, Haili Selassie

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

The picture of Mallard always amuses me these days.  Around the time of the 75th anniversary, the Gresley Observer investigated the identity of the guard.  Tommy Bray, Joe Duddington and Sam Jenkins (remembered eventually) were well known, but not the guard.

They did eventually identify him and tracked down his (grand?) daughter.   She said that he was a goods guard and had been asked to work that train as the booked guard didn't turn up.   So he'd gone from a career up to that point of trundling along at no more than 40 mph and sitting in lie bys for hours to the fastest train on earth.   They speculated that that was why he looked a bit green  around the gills.

Edited by jwealleans
  • Like 8

• RMweb Gold
6 hours ago, Rugd1022 said:

Photo by Craig Dunn : 'KOYLI' at Whitby in August 1981....

700166206_55002WHITBY020881CRAIGDUNN.jpg.4badd3262b84a451f59be456cbf141ab.jpg

What an evocative image! I wonder if the driver was being interviewed or perhaps the cassette recorder would be used to tape the sound of the Deltic. And nice to see comedian Harry Hill (when he still had hair) on the right, binoculars round his neck, tabs and matches in his pocket. Any ideas what that is sticking out of the permed gentleman’s back pocket? 

Edited by Western Aviator
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, jwealleans said:

The picture of Mallard always amuses me these days.  Around the time of the 75th anniversary, the Gresley Observer investigated the identity of the guard.  Tommy Bray, Joe Duddington and Sam (apologies to him, I forget his name) were well known, but not the guard.

They did eventually identify him and tracked down his (grand?) daughter.   She said that he was a goods guard and had been asked to work that train as the booked guard didn't turn up.   So he'd gone from a career up to that point of trundling along at no more thna 40 mph and sitting in lie bys for hours to the fastest train on earth.   They speculated that that was why he looked a bit green  around the gills.

A similar thing happened to my Dad when he was a nipper, well sort of - his father was a guard at Rugby and occasionally took him in to work with him, on at least three or four occasions he deposited my Dad onto the footplate of a Duchess or Jubilee hauled northbound express with a friendly Rugby crew who took him down the Trent Valley and back again, hiding him in the tender as they passed through the stations en route. On arrival home my Nan looked at him and thought he looked decidedly green around the gills and somewhat worse for wear, also berating my Grandad for taking him to work in the first place. Dad only told me about his little adventures a short time before he died and talked about in such a casual manner, as if it was just a normal day out for a five or six year old lad!

• Like 6

• RMweb Premium
43 minutes ago, Western Aviator said:

Any ideas what that is sticking out of the permed gentleman’s back pocket?

Might be an afro comb, to keep the perm in shape.

Definitely looks like they're interviewing the driver, maybe about the end of the Deltics

Edit: 101 beat me to it, my reply seemed to take ages to go through

Edited by keefer
  • Thanks 2

6 hours ago, Rugd1022 said:

Bits 'n' bobs....

7611f7c2ec95a4300fa5ce76bcb9b8c8.jpg.a39c8fd754144176387356a5572c7e2d.jpg

Patricroft men Brian Hickey and Jim Carter, the brilliant photographer, right, a long way from home on the Southern on 34090.

Edited by LMS2968
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, Western Aviator said:

What an evocative image! I wonder if the driver was being interviewed or perhaps the cassette recorder would be used to tape the sound of the Deltic. And nice to see comedian Harry Hill (when he still had hair) on the right, binoculars round his neck, tabs and matches in his pocket. Any ideas what that is sticking out of the permed gentleman’s back pocket? 

Alan 'Pansy' Potter - Gateshead driver, must have been conducting the Thornaby men on the traction as Gateshaed men didn't sign Whitby.

• Like 3